Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 12 guests

2011 UT/UF from Checkerboard Chatter

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

2011 UT/UF from Checkerboard Chatter

Postby Ringer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 am

If there is one thing that the 2011 versions of the Gators and Vols have in common, it is a poor performance by their projected starting quarterbacks in the spring games. Florida's John Brantley went 4 of 14 for 45 yards and Tennessee's Tyler Bray went 5 of 30 for 122 yards. Accuracy struggles aside, the Gators lost 4 starters on last season's offensive line which leaves that unit with the most question marks on the team. But don't be fooled by a quarterback who has been inconsistent and an offensive line that has a lot to prove, this Florida team is still loaded. The Gators still suit up Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps who are two of the most lethal threats in all of college football. The Gainesville Sun's Kevin Brockway writes that Florida actually has 5 potential 1,000 yard rushers on their current roster. Will all of those guys hit the 1,000 yard mark in 2011? Obviously not, but it's staggering just how much talent these Gators have.

The 2011 edition of Tennessee vs. Florida will, in many ways, usher in a new era in the SEC's Eastern Division. Gone are the days of Fulmer and Spurrier and Urban Meyer's run of dominance the SEC East has come to an end. Derek Dooley and Will Mushcamp, both Nick Saban disciples, are looking to stabilize programs that have undergone more change than either fanbase would have wanted. Both men are chasing their former boss, Saban at Alabama, for conference supremacy. This season's game could go a long way in setting the stage for the Dooley-Muschamp match-ups of the future. Florida is still a program that is very much ahead of Tennessee in terms of talent, but with the Gators having a new staff, an inexperienced offensive line, and a quarterback that just seems to struggle to put it all together, this season might be Derek Dooley's best shot at Florida anytime soon. Derek Lusk

Sounds pretty reasonable for a Vol

"Because in 2007, we learned that at their best, Florida is better than Ohio State. Yesterday we learned that at their worst, Florida is still better than Ohio State."
Ringer
Head Ball Coach

Re: 2011 UT/UF from Checkerboard Chatter

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 am

yep, agreed

other than Dooley has had more time as a head coach and he has a losing record for the most part

Muschamp has a clean slate

but otherwise, fairly accurate assessment at this time

at this point, unproven comes to mind
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 am

Bray played fairly well towards the end of last year....especially for a true freshman. I imagine he'll improve as the year goes along...but how much before he faces UF? As mentioned in this article, Dooley is from the Saban tree. He is very solid coach....and was a very good hire for UT. He came to the program with actual head coaching experience, although it was mediocre at La Tech....he still has that invaluable experience under his belt. UT experienced two very painful losses last year (to LSU & UNC). They could have easily had a better record. I expect this game to be a toss up....but hopefully we can get our home field advantage back this year.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Jrcurtis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Our defense with smother UT's offense, which will be fumbling to find their way. Our offense has a lot of ? marks, but, we do have some leadership, in key positions. Our d-line will eat Bray up and have him making mistakes, that our fast secondary and LB's will exploit. Powell will have at least 5 sacks! Seriously! I don't look for the game to be close! Rainey or Demps will have the game of their careers in this one!
Jrcurtis
True Gator

Postby Down the Field » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Jrcurtis wrote:Our defense with smother UT's offense, which will be fumbling to find their way. Our offense has a lot of ? marks, but, we do have some leadership, in key positions. Our d-line will eat Bray up and have him making mistakes, that our fast secondary and LB's will exploit. Powell will have at least 5 sacks! Seriously! I don't look for the game to be close! Rainey or Demps will have the game of their careers in this one!

If this happens, it will be very bad. I think Tennessee is light years better than what the people on this board think. I'm just hoping that Bray does better than Ainge did in the Swamp as a sophomore in '05. He has a much better OC than Ainge did, so we'll see.

I will say this though, you are overestimating your secondary.
Down the Field
Senior Gator

Postby BSJGator » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Down the Field wrote:
Jrcurtis wrote:Our defense with smother UT's offense, which will be fumbling to find their way. Our offense has a lot of ? marks, but, we do have some leadership, in key positions. Our d-line will eat Bray up and have him making mistakes, that our fast secondary and LB's will exploit. Powell will have at least 5 sacks! Seriously! I don't look for the game to be close! Rainey or Demps will have the game of their careers in this one!

If this happens, it will be very bad. I think Tennessee is light years better than what the people on this board think. I'm just hoping that Bray does better than Ainge did in the Swamp as a sophomore in '05. He has a much better OC than Ainge did, so we'll see.

I will say this though, you are overestimating your secondary.

It's one of those situations where I'd rather overestimate mine than underestimate yours....For the most part, in recent years, Florida has had Tennessee's number. That should give our guys a certain measure of confidence, something we've had when facing scUT; and, that shouldn't change this year....
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby in my eyes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

UF won't have faced a QB+RB+WR combo this talented since Stafford+Moreno+Green.

Just thinking about the ways that Bray, Hunter, and Poole can attack the depleted UF defense is scary. I have no clue what Muschamp will do to combat that. It would be one of the big shocks in a long time to me if the Gators somehow completely stifle UT's O this year.
in my eyes
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 pm

in my eyes wrote:UF won't have faced a QB+RB+WR combo this talented since Stafford+Moreno+Green.

Yeah, they were tough. Oh wait, we won by five touchdowns. :rolleyes:

oxrageous

Postby Slevin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 pm

the kid was 5 for 30.... against his own sorry pathetic team. how is bray being talked about with such confidence? i don't get it.

the gators will have to play touch football with this guy so they don't end up breaking every bone in his body
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby FlyingGator » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:56 pm

oxrageous wrote:
in my eyes wrote:UF won't have faced a QB+RB+WR combo this talented since Stafford+Moreno+Green.

Yeah, they were tough. Oh wait, we won by five touchdowns. :rolleyes:

That picture is absolutely hilarious.
FlyingGator on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:21 pm wrote:Watkins is a baller. Give him two years.
FlyingGator
Freshman Gator

Postby don juan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 pm

every year, UT is "quietly confident" about the UF matchup. and every year, they lose.
WashingtonDCGator-the-tebow-hater wrote:Love watching Marion Barber run. Dude is pretty solid.

- before marion barber singlehandedly lost the game for the chicago bears
don juan
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

don juan wrote:every year, UT is "quietly confident" about the UF matchup. and every year, they lose.

I've never known them to be quiet about it. If they were quiet, there would be no problems.

Instead, it's "We're going to ownz joo!!" :lol:
oxrageous

Postby GatorintheKnox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm

If they can get past Cincy then I'll take them semi-serious. Bray looks like a starting QB in this league, these days I don't know how much that means. I want to see him do it against a good defense before I think he can be their guy. If Bray doesn't cut it this year, do they give the ball to Simms or the Worley kid? I would be a little worried if the game was up here but I'm pretty confident with this game being in the Swamp.
GatorintheKnox
All-American Gator

Postby don juan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:01 pm

oxrageous wrote:
don juan wrote:every year, UT is "quietly confident" about the UF matchup. and every year, they lose.

I've never known them to be quiet about it. If they were quiet, there would be no problems.

Instead, it's "We're going to ownz joo!!" :lol:

well, since they've been UF's b*tch for a while, they've kept pretty quiet.
WashingtonDCGator-the-tebow-hater wrote:Love watching Marion Barber run. Dude is pretty solid.

- before marion barber singlehandedly lost the game for the chicago bears
don juan
Heisman Gator

Postby Dugaboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Excuse me, isn't Bray the kid that threw a fit last year in some game when Ut lost? Crying on the sidelines and all that?
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby Down the Field » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Dugaboy wrote:Excuse me, isn't Bray the kid that threw a fit last year in some game when Ut lost? Crying on the sidelines and all that?

Really? You're going to go there?

I can recall several occasions where the chosen one cried like a baby, including during the Rammer Jammer portion of the 2009 SEC Championship Game.
Down the Field
Senior Gator

Postby Dugaboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:12 pm

No I am serious - don't change the subject - tell me about the Bray Explosion incident. I do not know about it.
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby Down the Field » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:13 pm

There certainly was no explosion. Bray threw an awful pick during the second OT in the Music City Bowl. In essence, it allowed UNC to kick a short field goal to win the game. After the pick, Bray stood on the sideline and had tears running down his face because he knew his pass had cost UT any chance of winning. It hurt him and you could tell that.
Down the Field
Senior Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Bray acted like a total assclown earlier in the game, taunting the UNC bench after he threw touchdowns. Don't cry like a baby if you are going to be taunting the opposition.

The kid was incredibly immature, even for a freshman. He acted like a 12 year old punk all season. Can't wait to see him get his brains beaten in.
oxrageous

Postby Dugaboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks, Falling Down the Field, I never knew that story about the Music City Bowl game...Bray's tears should never be a target for any ridicule...his poor play selection maybe, but not the tears.

There may not be any crying in baseball (says Tom Hanks), but there is plenty in football...
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum