Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gardnerwebbalumnigator, gatorJ, gatormoe1, Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 45 guests

Why exactly does a BCS bowl matter?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Why exactly does a BCS bowl matter?

Postby oxrageous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:46 am

If you're not in the NC game, you are playing for nothing. So why is a BCS bowl really any better than a smaller bowl? Money? Exposure? It's a freaking joke.

Count me as someone that is disappointed that our Gators aren't playing for any championships. Thinking about playing a joke Oklahoma team seems nauseating right now. The stench of the Big 12 will stick to the Gators jerseys.

Losing to UGA this year is going to hurt for a long time, because it shouldn't have happened. Also, I think we need to brace ourselves for the possibility that UGA may win the NC. UGA. With Mark Richt. Yeah. It can happen - they are playing better football than Bama right now.

This isn't meant to be a negative Nellie post, it was a good season. But not a great season. A BCS bowl game is as meaningless as all the others.
oxrageous

Re: Why exactly does a BCS bowl matter?

Postby Zambo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 am

Dude, I hear you, but it was a great season. Its not our fault there is no playoff. If there was, we'd be going to the dance to mix it up with the other top teams. But there is just one game, and to me that is the reason why I hate the bowls and the BCS and think we should have an 8 team playoff.

Lets face it, seeing ND, Bama, UF, UGA, Oregon, Kansas St, LSU, and Stanford tee it up in a tourney would be freaking awesome.

Instead, we have this bull$hit beauty pageant where one loss teams politic to try and be the one at the top of the heap. It has nothing to do with athletics and sports. Its asinine.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 am

Putting a limit on conference to two teams sucks. A rematch with LSU or A&M would draw better.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby biggator6 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 am

Money - buckets of it.
Go steal a couple of cars, go break into a couple of houses. Do whatever it takes, you know, just to get that attitude back. Go out there and do something bad, it doesn’t matter. -- Antrel Rolle on 'Da U'
biggator6
True Gator

Postby BoomTown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 am

We'll, since we've only been to 3 in the last decade, I'd say it means something. It sucks and I'm pissed, but we still beat the moles today, so I'm gritting my teeth and refusing to be pissed in victory.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 am

That USC debacle I just watched only made me pissed all over again about the UGA game. I still can't believe we wet the bed so badly that day.
oxrageous

Postby ncargat1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 am

oxrageous wrote:If you're not in the NC game, you are playing for nothing. So why is a BCS bowl really any better than a smaller bowl? Money? Exposure? It's a freaking joke.

Count me as someone that is disappointed that our Gators aren't playing for any championships. Thinking about playing a joke Oklahoma team seems nauseating right now. The stench of the Big 12 will stick to the Gators jerseys.

Losing to UGA this year is going to hurt for a long time, because it shouldn't have happened. Also, I think we need to brace ourselves for the possibility that UGA may win the NC. UGA. With Mark Richt. Yeah. It can happen - they are playing better football than Bama right now.

This isn't meant to be a negative Nellie post, it was a good season. But not a great season. A BCS bowl game is as meaningless as all the others.

Unlike some of the moronic fans, the PLAYERS deserve a reward for their season. Remember, the kid putting on the uniforms and actually playing. They should have the right to enjoy everything that goes on at a Big-time bowl game. If SHOULD be for THEM.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:56 am

And if OU loses at TCU next Saturday, then who the **** do we play?
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:57 am

ncargat1 wrote:
oxrageous wrote:If you're not in the NC game, you are playing for nothing. So why is a BCS bowl really any better than a smaller bowl? Money? Exposure? It's a freaking joke.

Unlike some of the moronic fans, the PLAYERS deserve a reward for their season. Remember, the kid putting on the uniforms and actually playing. They should have the right to enjoy everything that goes on at a Big-time bowl game. If SHOULD be for THEM.

Is going to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Capital One Bowl really that much larger of a reward?
oxrageous

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 am

oxrageous wrote:That USC debacle I just watched only made me pissed all over again about the UGA game. I still can't believe we wet the bed so badly that day.

Two plays from perfection:

(1) Driskell pick in endzone before half.

(2) Reed fumble.

:embarrassed:
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby StreetFightingGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am

Playing in a BCS bowl has a little more prestige to it and also brings a much higher payout. But don't sweat it, with the defense we have coming back and some better skill players on the offensive side of the ball 2013 will be the Year of the Gator.
StreetFightingGator
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am

biggator6 wrote:Money - buckets of it.

^^ that right there.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Amazin1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am

bigger payday and prestige...yes.
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby BoomTown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am

oxrageous wrote:
ncargat1 wrote:

Is going to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Capital One Bowl really that much larger of a reward?

YES!!! Sugar gets first pick. You wanna be sloppy seconds?
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby Quasimodo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:13 am

It doesn't matter much to me. The SEC Championship and the BCS Championship are the only two postseason games that do. The biggest thing I'll take away from this season is the failure in the fact that in the most important game we didn't get it done, and in the process positioned one of our most bitter rivals with an opportunity to win the ultimate prize.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorade7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 am

it's all about the $$$ and the public stage

I'm with you Ox on the frustration of what could have been but with our preseason expectation even the most optimistic UF fan should not complain. Muschamp has done a great job turning the ship around at UF and this is one of the school's best seasons EVER in year 2. Not only 11-1 but 4 top 12 wins.
gatorade7
Senior Gator

Postby Maxxodd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 am

I know many on here are just venting in the aftermath of the bitter disappointment of the Irish squeaking in, but lets be honest that this has been a great season. Sure, we can focus on the couple of plays that would make us undefeated, but we are also a handful of plays away from being 8-4. Am I reeling from the realization that we were just so close to getting a shot at the title, sure, but lets not diminish what this team has accomplished. And, the sugar bowl is a great prize. It still caries a lot of prestige. Only two teams get to play for the title, and we are on the outside looking in, but that doesn't mean that our bowl game doesn't mean anything.
Last edited by Maxxodd on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maxxodd
True Gator

Postby lagator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:20 am

Mostly agree. but if the bowl game was at least against someone exciting or interesting it would ease the pain a little. Oregon, Stanford, Kansas St, aTm rematch, UGA/Bama loser. Pretty much anyone but sloppy seconds of the Big 12.

Anyone who is excited about an OK matchup is easily amused. Getting to the Sugar Bowl sounds good but this game is trash. I'll be shocked if fans buy these tickets. I wouldn't pay to watch that game.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Yankeetown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 am

Count me as someone that is disappointed that our Gators aren't playing for any championships.

Mods, please give this lemon-face a week of Time-Out.
Yankeetown
Freshman Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 am

You're a freaking joke Ox.

Copied from another thread:

oxrageous wrote:
gatorade7 wrote:
oxrageous wrote:Let's not call each other out after a big win. Come on.

You called Driskel out before the game. You told me for some reason I embarrassed myself because I said that the oddsmakers were waiting to see Driskels health before setting the line because it would be beneficial to UF's side of the spread. Hey Go Gators but I think you should tone it down a bit with actual Gators. we are all on the same side.

That was like two weeks ago. Still can't let it go? Grow some nads, dude.

The Ga loss was over a month ago. Still can't let it go? Grab a beer and enjoy the big win and the 11-1 season.

And try growing a pair of your own while you're at it.

What a hypocrite
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum