Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ShadowGator and 2 guests

Defensive Line

A forum for ALL Gator recruiting info, as well as recruiting updates of Gator opponents. ONLY RECRUITING-RELATED THREADS ARE ALLOWED!

Moderators: Recruiting Moderator, Moderator, Site Administrators

Defensive Line

Postby GatorKen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 pm

I think Champ did a great job bringing in guys to reload the DL.

4 DTs
Caleb Brantley 6'3 305
Darious Cummings 6'3 310 *Juco
Jay-nard Bostwick 6'4 260
Jarran Reed 6'4 305 Juco

DE
Joey Ivie 6'4 275
Antonio Riles 6'4 262
Jordan Sherit 6'4 234

They all have really good size. Bostwick and Sherit will have to gain weight but these guys all of good size entering UF.

4 DTs and 2 are Juco and have played together at the same JUCO. That is nice as that gives us a shot at depth right away and some have claimed that Brantley has the skills to push for starting position early? If that is true then we are going to be pretty deep at the DT position after some coaching and development.

At DE Ivie is big enough that he can bulk up easily and move inside if needed as well.

These guys added to what we have in the stable already should be fun to watch.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Re: Defensive Line

Postby unofficialgator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Yup, I'm loving this group on paper =)
Hopefully they can follow the success of our young DL from last year. We had freshmen in the rotation from day 1 which is really unheard of in the SEC. I like muschamp's "keep em fresh" approach and this tactic will continue next year.
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby Alagator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm

I think overall we got 7 incredibly gifted defensive lineman. My fear is that of the three ends, only one of them (Sherit) is a true end, and he will be a Buck. The other two look like they may very well develop into interior lineman.
Kcgator wrote:
...bite him in his tightly puckered anus.

Soflagator wrote:
"We should really try not sucking for 30+ minutes of each game."
Alagator
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorKen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm

unofficialgator wrote:Yup, I'm loving this group on paper =)
Hopefully they can follow the success of our young DL from last year. We had freshmen in the rotation from day 1 which is really unheard of in the SEC. I like muschamp's "keep em fresh" approach and this tactic will continue next year.

This kind of fits when they asked Champ if recruiting stars had anything to do with our recruiting. His reply was priceless. Well the look he gave them "are you a stupid MFer" type look.
Champ replied that stars are meaningless and we offer our recruits long before the ratings come out. So maybe they base the ratings on who we offer :D

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby GatorKen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Interesting thing from GatorZone. Talking about Bostwick who is listed at 260 but here Coach Robinson says he is 295 already. :eek:

Here is our Q&A with Robinson on Bostwick:

Q: What can you tell us about Jay-nard?

A: A tremendous player. I think Jay-nard is an exceptional player. He is really talented. He’s got a great, great family who is supportive of him and wants him to do well.

Q: What helped you land Jay-nard?

A: I tell you the one thing that was really a good deal for us is [defensive tackles coach] Bryant Young. Jay-nard sees himself in him. They’ve got the same characteristics; they’ve got the same traits. He sees himself as Bryant Young. He’s not so talkative. They kind of whoop people and move on. That’s their talking.

Q: What can you say about him from a physical standpoint?

A: He will be a three-technique guy. He is a guy who hopefully can come in and did what Sharrif [Floyd] did. Sharrif was pretty good and I don’t know if he can replace Sharrif, but he is a guy who is definitely a candidate to come in and do that. He’s strong. He’s 295 right now and 6-3. He’s got initial quickness. He’s got explosion. He’s got finish. He’s got the different things that it takes to be successful inside. He just needs to come in and get ready to bang.

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Riles said he weighed 276 about a month ago and that he expected "...to slide inside."
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Homer J » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Ancient Reptile wrote:Riles said he weighed 276 about a month ago and that he expected "...to slide inside."

I wish they would recruit these ends and keep them at end. I have heard a lot this off season about Bullard and/or Fowler moving inside.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorKen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 pm

Homer J wrote:
Ancient Reptile wrote:Riles said he weighed 276 about a month ago and that he expected "...to slide inside."

I wish they would recruit these ends and keep them at end. I have heard a lot this off season about Bullard and/or Fowler moving inside.

With 4-6 more DTs coming in then they may think differently now. Both Bullard and Fowler are going to be studs on the outside.

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 am

GatorKen wrote:
Homer J wrote:

With 4-6 more DTs coming in then they may think differently now. Both Bullard and Fowler are going to be studs on the outside.

Agreed. Good point Ken.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:18 am

Alagator wrote:I think overall we got 7 incredibly gifted defensive lineman. My fear is that of the three ends, only one of them (Sherit) is a true end, and he will be a Buck. The other two look like they may very well develop into interior lineman.

You need to take a look at Bama, LSU and UGA. Those three 300 lb-ers will likely be what we are playing. You must have that extra beef up front if you want to play a three man front.

Don't worry, bro. Champ knows what he's doing.

The days of 240 lb ends are long, long gone.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby alcoholica » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:24 pm

UGA
DE Smith 294 Drew 284
DE Washington 280 Thorton 287
NT Jenkins 350 Geathers 351

Bama
DE Pagen 285 Fanning 298
DE Stinson 282 Thomlinson 266
NT Ivory 315 Lake 315

I think that was UGA in 2012 and Bama proj for 2013. DE's in excess of 275lbs are probably the norm these days for UF. I'd rather have 3 guys in the 275-315 range than a 350lb NT. I think you can still have an explosive player who can disrupt and get after the QB at that weight. I know a 350lb guy can disrupt and occupy, but it'd take a special guy to play dynamically at that weight.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Probably the best DL class we've ever landed (potential). The two JUCO's were the icing on the cake.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Return to Recruiting Board