Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The RH Factor and 28 guests

Is the Meyer Era Coming to an End?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Is the Meyer Era Coming to an End?

Postby gator4life » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:41 pm

1. Did he see the end coming when he retired last year?
2. Will Urban again retire at the end of this season?
3. Will Urban drop the hybrid offense?

Urban can't be happy and he can't reload the spread option with a prostyle quarterback. He can't go prostyle with an offense built for the spread option with speed backs. He is stuck in a mediocre second tier hybrid offense. If Urban can't fix this, I expect he will leave. Does anyone see a solution for this year or next year?
gator4life
Senior Gator

Re: Is the Meyer Era Coming to an End?

Postby GatorCane3 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Our offense had a lot of yardage and was working for a good portion of the game. Why did it look so bad??? 1. Predictable playcalling 2. Inexperienced Quarterback 3. Poor officiating 4. Bad snaps IF urban does something about the O line problems and the playcalling we can beat Bama. But if he refuses to admit the playcalling/gameplan has not been working since last year we will continue to win a lot of games but never beat the best. Let's just hope somebody gives addazio a head coaching position after this year.
GatorCane3
All-American Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Dude, we lost ONE game. Against the #1 team in the country. You guys need to get some perspective.

With all the coaching changes and 9 guys going to the NFL, were you thinking we would be undefeated National Champs this year?

Florida has never had an undefeated season. Why did everyone think this would be the year we would get it?

Quit trying to run off good coaches.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorStud » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Nobody is thinking undefeated season. Poor execution, poor play scripting and timing, poor coordination of talent to said play scripting, lack of the fire in the belly disposition of M3 nowadays and an apparent regression in team unity with this new delegation implementation (that father and son feeling seems to be absent amongst players and coaches). It is a pretty noticeable observation. If the M3 priority is personal health and immediate family relations, then the magic of National Championship campaigns may be over. Just saying.
GatorStud
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gatorsid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm

No. The Era of his brand of offense maybe. I don't like it even with Newton, Denard, or Pryor. I didn't like it with Tebow. I like other versions of the spread. I think ours is just too busy considering the talent we have. It really wants to be all things and is ending up being nothing. They say it is a running offense but we can run when we need to against tough defense. Most yards it has generated over the years has been against overmatched teams. Sure at the end of the year you see numbers, but what it doesn't show is how we can't run with authority when we absolutely have to in the redzone.

I don't think it is just an issue of getting a more athletic runner at the position. Bama is going to force Meyer to soul search and admit he has been forced out of his offense by Bama. There is not shame to adjusting to the competition, particularly when it appears to opponent is not going anywhere anytime soon. It would be one thing if we thought the team was going to be like LSU, a short lived era. But Bama has the pipeline and coaching to do what they do for a long time. What we do ain't good enough. Their brand of football is more physical and tougher and is dominating Meyer's brand.

We have spent his entire tenure here talking about the offense and its issues. Not too many people have had much to say about Saban's offense.
Gatorsid
Heisman Gator

Postby mangrove gator » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:52 pm

quit crying its only one game.lets go whip lsu.if you don't want to be a gator find some other team .georgia needs all the help they can get and you would fit right in with their fans.be grateful we have urban.
mangrove gator
Redshirt Gator

Postby jagator0 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:58 pm

You nailed it. We can't pick up a third and one. Not even in the red zone, but at our own 29. Why? Because we try to run speedsters up the middle who go down at first contact. If we're going to be an option team, then let's be an option team.Get a QB who is a run threat. If not, then put Demps at wide out. Give Brantley an O-line that can pass block and a center who can snap the ball to him, and let's get vertical. Have we completed a deep ball yet? Even as bad as we were on offense last year, Tebow occasionally connected with Cooper on a deep ball. We looked great yesterday when Brantley was setting up in the pocket and throwing it downfield. Then we go back to the stupid dive play up the middle and that was all she wrote. If you cannot run the ball in from two yards out or pick up third and ones, you are screwed.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby gator91 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 pm

another great post sid.
reminds me of how the inability to adjust caught up with Spurrier. But coaches are a lot like corporate professionals- in the sense that change comes with great difficulty. Loyatly is huge with Urban. For him to look reality in the eye and force out a ineffective OC (the same guy he trusted to run the program during his LOA) is not going to happen. Which saddens me- Addazio should coach the line and Urban should seek out a guy like Mike Leach or other new innovative offensive mind to continue the progression of Gator greatness. We have stalled. It's not just one game. Our lame offense has run the same shizzle for three years- the difference was the Gators were fortunate to have the greatest player in college football history taking the snaps. He is now gone, we should re-evalute the 1 page playcaller in Addazio and continue to move forward. We are good. We are not great. Can we be great again without change. Im not so sure. In life we all know things change. You either adapt or get left behind. I hope the coaching staff chooses the former not the latter.
gator91
Freshman Gator

Postby jagator0 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 pm

mangrove gator wrote:quit crying its only one game.lets go whip lsu.if you don't want to be a gator find some other team .georgia needs all the help they can get and you would fit right in with their fans.be grateful we have urban.

Here we go again. Don't criticize the almighty or you will have to turn in your fan card. If you want to be a cheerleader, go get some pom poms. If you think this is one game, take off your orange and blue glasses. This offense has sputtered for a year and a half with the exception of three games. If you want blind loyalty, go ask a nole fan how that worked out for them?
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby Lava Lizard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:17 pm

The one thing Tebow and Spikes brought to the table besides their outstanding play was their leadership. So far no leaders have emerged on this team that I can see that will push the other players to rise to the challenge.

Having said that I think Meyer hates losing just like the rest of us and I doubt he'll run away when things get tough. That's the kind of thing Nick Saban might do after the end of this season when his superstars graduate.
Evidently facts do have a liberal bias.
Lava Lizard
True Gator

Postby Jrcurtis » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:08 pm

You've got to be kidding me! If Meyer leaves it will be because of lunatic fans! We moved the ball quite well, with a young team. The problem was the play calling insidenthe red zone and the fact that Addazio needs to concentrate on the OL, because he can't handle both jobs! Now, if Meyer can't make a tough decision and demote Addazio, that will be his undoing! Addazio needs to be just as loyal to Meyer and just step down! You can tell or OL is suffering from a lack of coaching! I bet Addazio has delegated most of the coaching to Pouncey! Don't get me wrong! I love the Pouncey boys and they have done a lot for our team, but, Addazio needs to take charge of that line. Also, moving Nixon to Right Tackle a week before playing Bama was stupid! I would have rather seen them go with the personnel we had on the line when Nixon was out than to see him make that move! Maybe someone can explain that one to me, cause I damn sure don't get it!

Go Gators! We still have a lot of ball in front of us and the youngsters will get it going, in time!
Jrcurtis
True Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:13 pm

It's not that we lost, it's how we lost...

We looked LOST!

It would have been different if we executed well and were actually in the battle. We got pounded and there was nothing we could do about it.

It starts in the trenches and we got man handled on both sides of the ball.

Addazio is the OLine coach...fix that first...then get someone to do the play calling that is not preoccupied trying to fix the Oline. It seems to be a conflict of interest realative to what is actually happening in the game.

:deadhorse:
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Agree w/ Sid.

I don't think we are seeing the end of the Meyer era....but I think we'll see Meyer make some scheme changes. He's very hard-headed, so to what extent remains to be seen. I think finding a new Center should be step #1. Long term, he needs to start recruiting better at the QB position.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby DrW » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 pm

gator4life wrote:1. Did he see the end coming when he retired last year?

Urban can't be happy and he can't reload the spread option with a prostyle quarterback. He can't go prostyle with an offense built for the spread option with speed backs. He is stuck in a mediocre second tier hybrid offense. If Urban can't fix this, I expect he will leave. Does anyone see a solution for this year or next year?

No, No, and No. Meyer will re-evaluate every aspect of his operations, as he does periodically anyway. He will devise both long range and short range changes. Any problem, including player mis-execution as has been frequent lately, can be solved. Some solutions take longer than others.
DrW
Senior Gator

Postby floridagator » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:48 pm

nope its not over. My goal always as a Gator fan is to 1 win the east,2 win the SEC,3 win the NC.

As long as meyer continues to get us to the SEC Champ what are you complaining abou
floridagator
Heisman Gator

Postby The_AlphaGator1906 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Gatorsid wrote:No. The Era of his brand of offense maybe. I don't like it even with Newton, Denard, or Pryor. I didn't like it with Tebow. I like other versions of the spread. I think ours is just too busy considering the talent we have. It really wants to be all things and is ending up being nothing. They say it is a running offense but we can run when we need to against tough defense. Most yards it has generated over the years has been against overmatched teams. Sure at the end of the year you see numbers, but what it doesn't show is how we can't run with authority when we absolutely have to in the redzone.

I don't think it is just an issue of getting a more athletic runner at the position. Bama is going to force Meyer to soul search and admit he has been forced out of his offense by Bama. There is not shame to adjusting to the competition, particularly when it appears to opponent is not going anywhere anytime soon. It would be one thing if we thought the team was going to be like LSU, a short lived era. But Bama has the pipeline and coaching to do what they do for a long time. What we do ain't good enough. Their brand of football is more physical and tougher and is dominating Meyer's brand.

We have spent his entire tenure here talking about the offense and its issues. Not too many people have had much to say about Saban's offense.

Personally, I think Saban's offense is a snooze fest. I mean there is no denying that it works but it's not the prettiest offense in the world. I thought the fun-n-gun was the most exciting offense in college football. I will give Saban huge props for his defense. The man's defense is second to none. I say, give me Steve's offense with Saban's defense and Meyer's special teams. That would be the most exciting big play, hard-hitting, and ball controlling team in america :cool:
"Do you like it? Do you think Cleveland is cool? I mean, I never heard anybody say I'm going to Cleveland on vacation. What's so good a bout Cleveland?"-Joakim Noah
The_AlphaGator1906
Heisman Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 pm

His snooze fest is better than our nightmare.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby UF_Cheme_Student » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:02 pm

gator4life wrote:1. Did he see the end coming when he retired last year?

All our Backs except Demps can be a pro back.
UF_Cheme_Student
Heisman Gator

Postby JTfromSuckerpunch » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Well, when we run the table and knock of Bama in the SECCG, I don't want to hear the doomsayers celebrate for one second. And if that doesn't happen, guess what? I'll still be a Gator fan next year. And the year after that. And I hope Meyer is there for many more to come because face it, the guy can still recruit, the guy can still win more games than he loses, and unlike the last coach we had who could "technically" claim those same qualities, he still can win championships. Two national titles in 5 years? The guy can coach till he's 100 for all I care.
JTfromSuckerpunch
Freshman Gator

Postby StreetFightingGator » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 am

If you mean Meyer's reign as the best coach in the SEC, then yes it is. That title belongs to Nick Saban, who once again just ate Meyer's lunch. Meyer's spread offense has 1 touchdown against Saban's defense over the last 8 quarters. That's flat out domination.

If Meyer is ever going to win another championship of any kind he's going to have to beat Saban to do it. The way he has been dominated and humiliated the past two meetings, I don't think he has the stones to even come close to Saban.
StreetFightingGator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum