Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BoomTown, Gator Fever, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, Jabberdave, Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, Naples Gator, Sasquatch Gator, WobbleGator and 97 guests

Listened to Champ at the Swamp last evening...

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Listened to Champ at the Swamp last evening...

Postby cover2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 am

...part of the college coaches engagements sponsored by Jimmy Rane and Great Southern Wood. First time getting to hear him in person. Lot of energy and a genuine guy. Might not be earth shattering news, but here are a few tidbits:

*Talked about Driskel. Said appendix issue was caught early and surgeon told him he could be back in 10 days. Procedure went well. Proud of Jeff's progress and stated emphatically that we wouldn't have won 11 without him at QB last year.

*Biggest keys for this year are Safeties, Interior DL, and offensive consistency (read "passing game"). Feels like the OL is as deep and competitive as we've had here in some time. Likes what the two big transfers can offer.

*Really glad to have Joker Phillips on staff. Expects the receivers to flourish under him and said that we have some young ones coming in that should have an immediate impact and can help us get to Atlanta.

*Bullard and Fowler are men and along with Powell's return chould have us secure at the edge positions.

*Don't complain, just do your job. Man down, man up is the order of the day.

*One humorous remark related to recruiting was that one of the freshmen to arrive on campus soon called and told him what # he was expecting. Champ told him that when they saw him make a play, they'd talk about #s. Unreal the entitlement that many young players feel, which speaks to just what kind of a process it is where recruitment is concerned. also spoke about being careful when making offers to recruits. anytime he has to pull one, he is immediately not welcome back at that particular high school; thus, the slow play many times.
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Re: Listened to Champ at the Swamp last evening...

Postby BMF » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 am

Good stuff C2. Thanks for sharing.

How many coaches were in attendance?

Are there any HS's that our coaching staff aren't "welcome back"?

I'm concerned that the coaches are concerned about the interior DL. We have enough bodies there (at least 5 DT's), but it seems they aren't sure of how well they'll perform.

Regarding the Safties; if they don't get beat deep, we should be fine there. There's enough talent in front of them.
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby ATXGator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing. I really feel that Champ is building a quality program. If the Oline can give Driskel time we could be very good.
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:56 pm

again, a line of scrimmage league

Muschamp understands that
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby cover2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 pm

BMF wrote:Good stuff C2. Thanks for sharing.

How many coaches were in attendance?

Are there any HS's that our coaching staff aren't "welcome back"?

I'm concerned that the coaches are concerned about the interior DL. We have enough bodies there (at least 5 DT's), but it seems they aren't sure of how well they'll perform.

Regarding the Safties; if they don't get beat deep, we should be fine there. There's enough talent in front of them.

My pleasure. Didn't notice anyone but Champ from the staff. He referenced the new guys, Joker of course, Lawing, and Choate. Also expressed confidence in Durkin as DC. Talked about these guys' resumes...nothing on paper but what film showed that they could train their players to do. didn't say it specifically, but I think he feels good about the staff chemistry, work ethic, and will to excel.

He didn't name any high schools that we weren't welcomed back; more a sense of explaining why he didn't pull the trigger on some recruits as fast as the fan base expected. The undertone was that he wanted to cultivate good relationships with the schools, staffs, and kids that will fill our future rosters. One good recruiting quote that I should have mentioned was that "recruiting is like shaving...miss one day and you look like a bum!" There is now no off-season for this part of coaching.

Biggest thing about the interior DL was losing a guy of Floyd's caliber, along with Hunter and seeing who will step in the gap. Didn't mention Easley, but you know there are high expectations of him being the guy. Rapid and thorough development at these positions (for starters and depth purposes) will be key, along with staying healthy. I guess the concern is having to rely on a couple of JC guys, lots of potential but only their first or second year with the program. They'll need to have a short learning curve and really work to keep adapting to the programmatic expectations.

No mention of Morrison and his recent adventures. Only said that he is expected to be a big factor this year.
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby kcgator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

ReelGatorDoc wrote:again, a line of scrimmage league

Muschamp understands that

Any coach that doesn't understand that should be kicked in the grapes and demoted to coaching the chess team.

They see me rollin', they hatin'...
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

cover2 wrote:
*Talked about Driskel. Said appendix issue was caught early and surgeon told him he could be back in 10 days. Procedure went well. Proud of Jeff's progress and stated emphatically that we wouldn't have won 11 without him at QB last year.

Exactly. Driskel was not our problem.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby soflagator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm

I notice he conveniently avoided discussing the more pressing issues like gray pants, Gator(s) fan?, and the all important "should male cheerleaders exist" questions. Typical.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby kcgator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Okeechobee Joe wrote:
cover2 wrote:

Exactly. Driskel was not our problem.

He was PART of the problem. Granted, he was young and inexperienced, but some of his decision making was putrid. He should do much better with one year of experience under his belt.

They see me rollin', they hatin'...
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorInKnox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm

soflagator wrote:I notice he conveniently avoided discussing the more pressing issues like gray pants, Gator(s) fan?, and the all important "should male cheerleaders exist" questions. Typical.

Amazingly, his sentences were often far longer than three words as well. The nerve!
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby cover2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm

soflagator wrote:I notice he conveniently avoided discussing the more pressing issues like gray pants, Gator(s) fan?, and the all important "should male cheerleaders exist" questions. Typical.

What'd you expect? He is, after all, a traditionalist. I think he might have spoken briefly off the record about reaching out to the jilted lovers fan segment and on yeast infections and their place among causative factors in esophygitis. No mention about the cheer guys, but I feel quite certain like many on here, that he's behind the white sweaters and trousers, along with the band shoes, as a brand to be re-established.
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby jand3k » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm

At any rate, this is all good info Cover; thanx for Sharon.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm

There were 2 GPD cars hiding behind shrubbery, hoping to catch
"Champ" tossing a gum wrapper. Others on standby 'case he resisted.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ufgator812. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

rogdochar wrote:There were 2 GPD cars hiding behind shrubbery, hoping to catch
"Champ" tossing a gum wrapper. Others on standby 'case he resisted.

Yep. I heard that Champ is also in trouble for barking out orders and commands. We will see...
"Victory at all cost. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival." --Winston Churchill
May 13, 1940 GOD BLESS
ufgator812.
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 pm

cover2 wrote:

What'd you expect? He is, after all, a traditionalist. I think he might have spoken briefly off the record about reaching out to the jilted lovers fan segment and on yeast infections and their place among causative factors in esophygitis. No mention about the cheer guys, but I feel quite certain like many on here, that he's behind the white sweaters and trousers, along with the band shoes, as a brand to be re-established.

:lol:
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby MJMGator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, cover2. Need to post more often, sir!
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:44 pm

C2, again good info. Thanks.

I think Cummings is going to do well, having already played at FSU. He knows what it's like to play D1 football (although the ACC could be considered a glorified JUCO program!).

Orr needs to bring it this year...and stay healthy. Hopefully the freshman DTs can earn a few snaps this year also.
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 pm

cover2 wrote:*Biggest keys for this year are Safeties, Interior DL, and offensive consistency (read "passing game").

You did advise him that GSMB had declared those as non-issues, right?

I can't believe he didn't add LB to the list given that we may well be starting two true freshmen.
Last edited by law98gator on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby TommyGator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Good posts C2!
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Zambo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Did he mention anything about fields which contain adversity and his strategy for overcoming said obstacles?
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum