Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 54 guests

O'Bannon - the end of the NCAA

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

O'Bannon - the end of the NCAA

Postby Vatgator » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am

The fed judge is ready to rule whether the O'Bannon case merits class-action status. if so, then it may be curtains for the NCAA and AD revenues - UFAA could be hit hard. If an indoor facility is to be built, then it better be built soon. I could see a number of men's sports be eliminated or schollies reduced.
Vatgator
True Gator

Re: O'Bannon - the end of the NCAA

Postby GatorBart » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens.
There's a lot of $$ involved (on both sides), but my guess is that the NCAA comes out on top, or at worst, with a slap on the wrist in the grand scheme of things.
I don't know much about the in-depth issues, other than the claim that the NCAA used O'Bannon's likeness (and others apparently) without permission. If they did, then there should be some sort of compensation forthcoming. I don't see the situation you describe below happening, but then again, as I said, I don't know much about it; so I'll just shut up now.

GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator Fever » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Doubt it goes anywhere and even if it did I think an appeals court would rule in favor of the NCAA and overrule. Its too hard to separate the huge money programs from the other ones.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 pm

This case has divided right points.Amateur college FB players do not
per se make income for the school. Had Tim Tebow gone to Alabama,
there would no #15 jersey sales at UF -- Tim Tebow ! the most nationally
admired QB, if he played at Bama.

Then also, it's wrong for Tim's or other amateur stars' likeness on
commercial video games. That should stop or they get royalties put
in a trust ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 pm

rogdochar wrote:This case has divided right points.Amateur college FB players do not
per se make income for the school. Had Tim Tebow gone to Alabama,
there would no #15 jersey sales at UF -- Tim Tebow ! the most nationally
admired QB, if he played at Bama.

Then also, it's wrong for Tim's or other amateur stars' likeness on
commercial video games. That should stop or they get royalties put
in a trust ?

Not imo - they get their scolarship etc and many in those games arent good enough to make it in the NFL and are only getting paid their scholarship because of the NCAA set up.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 pm

In my naivete, I assumed that commercial video corps are paying no
one for the use of these amateur athlete's likeness. Are the universities getting royalties for the players use by commercial entities ? I guess
that's like schollies are the University's investment in these guys as
penny stocks ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:08 pm

rogdochar wrote:In my naivete, I assumed that commercial video corps are paying no
one for the use of these amateur athlete's likeness. Are the universities getting royalties for the players use by commercial entities ? I guess
penny stocks ?

Looking at it that way you would have to make it like the professionals and then the biggest schools could pay more than some NFL teams. - Cant open that can of worms imo.
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby BoomTown » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:06 am

rogdochar wrote:In my naivete, I assumed that commercial video corps are paying no
penny stocks ?

It's my understanding that the video game companies are paying roylties for using the Universities logos on the games. The likeness to any actual player is merely a coincidence. ;) Actually it doesn't matter because the players don't own any rights to their names, numbers, likeness etc.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 am

Now I'm thinking these student-athletes, by "studying", preparing to
maximize their use, hire-ability to their future corporations are just
like typical students prepping for the same. No university owes regular
students any type remuneration. No one is suing for that.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BoomTown » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:38 am

rogdochar wrote:Now I'm thinking these student-athletes, by "studying", preparing to maximize their use, hire-ability to their future corporations are just like typical students prepping for the same. No university owes regular students any type remuneration. No one is suing for that.

Yea, sortof except all the regular student "studying" doesn't generate a few billion in revenue for the institutions.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby Vatgator » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am

By certifying class action status, the judge could significantly alter college sports by allowing athletes to share in the billions they help generate for the NCAA and ADs of the schools.
Vatgator
True Gator

Postby GatorBart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

BoomTown wrote:
rogdochar wrote:Now I'm thinking these student-athletes, by "studying", preparing to maximize their use, hire-ability to their future corporations are just like typical students prepping for the same. No university owes regular students any type remuneration. No one is suing for that.

Yea, sortof except all the regular student "studying" doesn't generate a few billion in revenue for the institutions.

I'm no expert, but say a grad student invents something (kina like Gatorade) while working under a research grant at UF, that could generate millions in revenue. From my understanding, UF owns the rights to that invention, not the grad student. So I think Rog's thought is pretty close to reality if we are just comparing students to players on a field. However, off the field of play, using someone's likeness to advertise a product, is not the same thing, IMO. Clear as mud now, huh?
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:21 am

All about the Benjamin's $$$
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby alcoholica » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm

There is a lot of money made by many institutions, which funds other programs. I would have an issue with this except for one important thing: the football and basketball players don't have to go to school. Not as relevant in prior years, but kids can play international basketball or go to the CFL (assuming they haven't instituted an age limit). So kids go to college and are afforded everything mentioned above plus they get great workout facilities and coaching to help them move on to the next level.

I am not siding with they NCAA though. I think endorsement opportunities should be available to athletes. How to regulate this is beyond me. I just think that if someone should be making millions off a kid, maybe it should be the kid. I think it's pretty obvious that EA sports uses likeness in their games. There is a disclaimer at the end of every movie saying that the characters are fictional for a reason....lawsuit protection. EA and the NCAA have stepped over a line or two in all of this.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum