Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Angry Narwhal, DaMagicGator, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 53 guests

A reason it's become so hard to win the Triple Crown

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

A reason it's become so hard to win the Triple Crown

Postby gator1946 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:01 am

Used to be that horses who were a factor in the Kentucky Derby would run in the Preakness. Now they sit out the Preakness and run rested in the Belmont. To win the Triple the Derby winner has to run them all.
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Re: A reason it's become so hard to win the Triple Crown

Postby GatorKen » Sat May 18, 2013 10:04 am

I thought it was because they kept putting them down right there on the track
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby gator1946 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am

That too.
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 pm

gator1946 wrote:Used to be that horses who were a factor in the Kentucky Derby would run in the Preakness. Now they sit out the Preakness and run rested in the Belmont. To win the Triple the Derby winner has to run them all.

Yep since about the Smarty Jones triple crown try trainers have kept good horses out of the Preakness just to try and stop the other trainer from getting that TC glory. I hope Orb romps in the Preakness as that will be a good opportunity going against him in the Belmont to make some money.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby oxrageous » Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 pm

gator1946 wrote:To win the Triple the Derby winner has to run them all.

This kind of insight is the reason I log on here every day. Kudos.
oxrageous

Postby WobbleGator » Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 pm

GatorKen wrote:I thought it was because they kept putting them down right there on the track

Please do not troll sport threads you have no care for.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby born2beagator » Sat May 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Ah. Hayburner races.....no thanks.
Alvin York wrote:
We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
born2beagator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sat May 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Three in a row too tiring for jockeys - legs so short.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby whtstrp58 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Turnaround time on those pretty silks is tough too.
Gatorhater Hater since 1980
whtstrp58
Freshman Gator

Postby guardian » Sun May 19, 2013 12:08 am

Another reason is improvements in breeding, grooming, and training. Those particular sciences are more widely available now.

As for pulling horses out of the Preakness, most of those already have no hope of winning a triple, as they lost the Derby. And many of those were "speed" horses whose speed wasn't enough, by itself, to win the Derby.

In my mind, Belmont is the true test. Speed, stamina, and power are tested.

There have only been 11 triple crown winners, and 8 of them won before 1950. It hasn't become hard - it is hard.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 am

guardian wrote:Another reason is improvements in breeding, grooming, and training. Those particular sciences are more widely available now.

As for pulling horses out of the Preakness, most of those already have no hope of winning a triple, as they lost the Derby. And many of those were "speed" horses whose speed wasn't enough, by itself, to win the Derby.

There have only been 11 triple crown winners, and 8 of them won before 1950. It hasn't become hard - it is hard.

Is it too late to place a bet ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Sun May 19, 2013 7:58 am

rogdochar wrote:
guardian wrote:Another reason is improvements in breeding, grooming, and training. Those particular sciences are more widely available now.

It's never too late at itsgr82takeur$$$ betting parlor. How can I help you?
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 am

itsgr82baflagator wrote:
rogdochar wrote:

It's never too late at itsgr82takeur$$$ betting parlor. How can I help you?

Jockeying for OPM, eh ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 am

Breeding seems to have hit a standstill in horses as they are about the same speed/stamina wise as the were a hundred years ago.

I think the Derby is bad some years also as this year you probably had horses better than Orb taken out by Palice Malice running that crazy first half mile and then you have that Curlin year where with a decent trip he probably wins for sure but that happens in a 20 horse field.

What is strange about the Belmont is how most winners are near the front at the halfway mark despite the distance. Some say that is due to them not having enough for a real stretch kick usually after a 1 1/4 mile.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am

Gator Fever wrote:

Breeding seems to have hit a standstill in horses as they are about the same speed/stamina wise as they were a hundred years ago.

I think the Derby is bad some years also as this year you probably had horses better than Orb taken out by Palice Malice running that crazy first half mile and then you have that Curlin year where with a decent trip he probably wins for sure but that happens in a 20 horse field.

What is strange about the Belmont is how most winners are near the front at the halfway mark despite the distance. Some say that is due to them not having enough for a real stretch kick usually after a 1 1/4 mile.
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby guardian » Sun May 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Gator Fever wrote:

Breeding seems to have hit a standstill in horses as they are about the same speed/stamina wise as the were a hundred years ago.

Perhaps, but my point was that those genes are more widely available now, so more horses are so blessed. What we are seeing is a regression to the mean

But try telling Secretariat that.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum