Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Double Gator Dad, EtsuGator42, Jabberdave, lumagator, Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, OTownGator, rogdochar, Slevin, southcoastghost, willgetin and 67 guests

Gators Hire Chris Leak as Quality Control Coach

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Gators Hire Chris Leak as Quality Control Coach

Postby ncargat1 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 pm

I will not lie, I have no idea what a Quality Control coach does. However, not disappointed to see an ex-Gator back on the staff.

UF Hires Ex-QB Leak As Quality Control Coach
May 13th, 2013 12:04 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink ║

There’s a new coach on the University of Florida football staff and he knows something about winning championships. According to Jason Lieser of The Palm Beach Post, Will Muschamp announced today that former Gator quarterback Chris Leak has been added to his staff as a quality control coach.

Leak — with some third- and fourth-down help from a freshman battering ram named Tim Tebow — led Florida to a blowout, upset win over top-ranked Ohio State in the January, 2007 BCS Championship Game.

The Gators’ 2006 title was their second overall and first since Steve Spurrier led his alma mater to the 1996 national crown. UF would go on to win the 2008 national title, as well, giving Urban Meyer two crowns during his brief stay in Gainesville.

After his college career, Leak played in the NFL, CFL, and in the Arena Football League.

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/05/uf-hires-ex-qb-leak-as-quality-control-coach/
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Re: Gators Hire Chris Leak as Quality Control Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Congrats to Leak, hope he does well in his new job.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby williston_gator » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Good for him.
williston_gator
Heisman Gator

Postby BoomTown » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

His job is to make sure the ratio of Gatorade powder to water is correct and consistent. It's an extremely important role.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17198145

But overall, a quality control assistant's job is rooted in game preparation. They usually work at least one or two weeks ahead in the regular season.

They prepare the statistical analysis as well as the initial video study of upcoming opponents. The defensive quality control assistant breaks down opposing offenses, including how often they line up in specific formations and how they use various personnel groupings.

He charts down-and-distance situations, field position, substitutions, etc., and then gives that report to the team's defensive staff when they begin their game planning each week during the regular season.

The offensive quality control assistant would do the same in regard to opposing defenses and then give the reports to the offensive staff.

Read more: Q&A: "Quality control" coach is entry-level position in NFL - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17 ... z2TByMnur4

Congrats to him and I expect he will also provide assistance to our QB's in preparing to lead the Gators to where we all expect us to be.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Nice to have him on board. Sounds like he's getting his feet wet to pursue a career in coaching. Does he count against our number of coaches or has Muschamp been watching Saban and hiring him as an "analyst"?
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorpe » Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 pm

He will always be one of my favorite players at UF. He stayed through all kinds of upheaval and 3 different OC's. The first gator QB not to play for SOS and have amazing passing stats.(top five at UF). I always thought he would have been one of those perfect QBs in the SOS system.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby BoomTown » Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 pm

gatorpe wrote:He will always be one of my favorite players at UF. He stayed through all kinds of upheaval and 3 different OC's. The first gator QB not to play for SOS and have amazing passing stats.(top five at UF). I always thought he would have been one of those perfect QBs in the SOS system.

Agreed. He has always been nothing but a class act. Living in Charlotte, it amazes me how many locals still have such immense respect for him as well. There have been many good players from this area, but Chris is by far the favorite football son of this town.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby GR8R_G8R » Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Anytime UF can add a quality, classy guy like Chris to the staff, it can only be a good thing.

I would imagine that one day Tim will be here, too.
GR8R_G8R
Freshman Gator

Postby PastyStoole » Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I remember his coaches commenting on how much time he spent studying film. He had almost no social life and spent hours in the video room in addition to being a good student. If that's any indication of his work ethic, we've certainly brought a good one back into the fold.
PastyStoole
Heisman Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 pm

I believe Chris may hold he all-time NCAA record for throwing the ball out of bounds rather than taking a sack, so perhaps he will teach this skill to Jeff.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

The RH Factor wrote:I believe Chris may hold he all-time NCAA record for throwing the ball out of bounds rather than taking a sack, so perhaps he will teach this skill to Jeff.

Looks like a Nole comment for how much you try and deny it buddy. :rolleyes:
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon May 13, 2013 1:45 pm

So they made up this position in order to hire him?
oxrageous

Postby Dugaboy » Mon May 13, 2013 2:18 pm

I dunno Ox, but I have read where other major programs fit one of their all-time greats into the assistant-something. Good PR.

As for Leak, what a real boost for him and a real big boost for the Gator football program. These newbies get to be one-on-one face-to face with a real Gator quarterback that lead the team to a national championship.

Now, that IS cool!!
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorpe » Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm

The RH Factor wrote:I believe Chris may hold he all-time NCAA record for throwing the ball out of bounds rather than taking a sack, so perhaps he will teach this skill to Jeff.

Now see, I dont really take that as a slam on CL. He never took a sack or threw a really bad pass. Pitching it out of bounds was usually a good idea and God knows JB or JD could take some lessons in it.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby lagator » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

You think he can teach Driskel the Pirouette? :?

But seriously, Chris is awesome. Loved him as a player and I was very impressed by him on SiriusXM Coast to Coast. He'll make a great coach and hopefully we can keep him at UF for a long time.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm

oxrageous wrote:So they made up this position in order to hire him?

No matter, we definitely got so much offense quality that we need
a dedicated coach to keep it under control.
Kidding aside, it would seem Chris would be an excellent QB coach
ASAP. He threw all types of passes with precise accuracy. He gave
quality to our passing attack. Super-glad to have him. And hope it's
the good beginning of a great CFB coaching career. He is another
gator who is his own fine person.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm

gatorpe wrote:

Now see, I dont really take that as a slam on CL. He never took a sack or threw a really bad pass. Pitching it out of bounds was usually a good idea and God knows JB or JD could take some lessons in it.

The only thing Chris Leak struggled with was the velocity of his passes. The game that got Zook fired (Miss. State loss), the WR's were running 5-10 yards behind the secondary all day, but Leak's passes were dying in the strong wind. He ended up throwing 4 or 5 picks that day, if I remember correctly.
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby GatorKen » Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 pm

I like it. The guy lived in the film study room. Hopefully he can pass that along to our young QBs. Something all QBs need to learn coming out of HS is the importance of game prep and film study.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

FloridaFanatic22 wrote:

Looks like a Nole comment for how much you try and deny it buddy. :rolleyes:

This was a slam on Driskel. I'm not criticizing Leak for throwing the ball out of bounds, I'm criticizing Driskel for not doing so and thought that perhaps some of you would see humor in the comment.

The things I remember about Leak were that he threw perfect spirals, he threw the ball out of bounds to avoid sacks (a LOT), and when he ran, he often came up short of a first down to avoid hits, which I found frustrating.

If you will remember, Tebow came in on short yardage plays his freshman year to pick up the first downs that Leak wouldn't have made, and Leak came back in to continue drives when Tebow got the first down.

It was Leak's team, but I don't think we would have won that championship without Tebow. If you want to argue that, then go ahead and call me a Nole.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum