Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alligatorbite, Flaglergator, Google Adsense [Bot] and 43 guests

ESPN: Gators' offensive line talking a bigger game

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

ESPN: Gators' offensive line talking a bigger game

Postby Kurtis Lowe » Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Nice read: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/64120/floridas-offensive-line-talking-a-bigger-game

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Before Florida’s offensive line strapped on those shiny orange-and-black knee braces and trotted onto the Gators’ practice fields this spring, Tim Davis put them through visual torture.

The Gators’ offensive line had a very schizophrenic identity last season, so Florida’s second-year offensive line coach decided to show them all the horrors of the up-and-down play in pass protection.

Davis showed his linemen every one of the 39 sacks Florida’s line surrendered in 2012. The ugly sack reel was meticulously studied over and over for two or three days, but the torment didn’t stop there.

Once the Gators got on the field, Davis had Florida’s film crew capture video of each lineman’s one-on-one sessions with defenders.

Needless to say, things weren’t pretty for Florida’s big boys.

“Oh man, it was ugly,” left guard Max Garcia said with a laugh. “It was ugly in the beginning.

“We understood that we needed to improve in that area.”

And if this offense, which had a mediocre passing game, was going to improve this spring, the line had to turn things around.

Now, there were factors working against Florida’s line. Seasoned starters Xavier Nixon and James Wilson were gone and the line was so banged up that the Gators finished spring with six healthy linemen.

But that didn’t stop players from learning and evolving. The education started with the sack reel, where blame wasn't the goal but improvement was. Davis showed all of the mistakes, but instead of singling out players, he discussed what to fix and how to fix it.

The biggest thing linemen took from the film sessions was the lack of communication in pass protection last season. Florida ran the ball so well, averaging 188 rushing yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry, but were last in the SEC in passing (146.3 yards per game).

Talking just wasn’t there.

When blocking for the run, communication combinations usually take place with a lineman and another player for a certain defender. In pass block, that communication might have to go through four or more players.

To improve communication, linemen simply talked more in and out of the film room, center Jonotthan Harrison said. They also became more vocal with the running backs, tight ends and quarterback Jeff Driskel during practice. Having another spring to digest Brent Pease’s offense also helped.

“Now that we’ve developed this communication,” Harrison said, “our pass protection is going to be much more successful.”

Injuries hurt, but coach Will Muschamp should have 15 scholarship offensive linemen this fall -- eight or nine of which that will be game-ready. And those game-ready bodies have a lot of experience, including new transfer players, like Garcia and tackle Tyler Moore, who started for the injured Chaz Green at right tackle this spring.

Garcia (Maryland) and Moore (Nebraska) have 16 combined starts. Other potential starters -- Green, Harrison, Jon Halapio and D.J. Humphries -- have 81 combined starts.

“We’re much better up front right now,” Muschamp said.

“There are a lot of guys that have had a lot of at-bats. “I really feel comfortable about our depth and talent at the position.”

But it isn’t just the numbers and physical improvement from the line that have people in Gainesville more excited about this front. This crew is fueled by media criticism hurled their way last year.

“It always eats at us because O-Line is one of those positions that’s all work no credit,” Harrison said. “So as we do badly, it’s pointed out, but when we do the good things they really just underplay the efforts that the offensive line gives.

“We’re looking forward to proving everybody wrong, come season time, and prove that we can pass protect and we have worked on it.”

Despite low spring numbers, the coaches and teammates were happy with the line’s play. Obviously, real improvement won’t be made until the games begin, but people seemed convinced that a stronger line will take the field for the Gators this fall.

“They just want to be known as a nasty offensive line that can be able to run and power down your throat and can pass block,” Buck defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. said. “They want to be an offensive line that when a defensive line has to play against team they’re going to be like, ‘Well, we’re going to have a tough day today.’

“They take pride in that.”
Because the ACC just doesn't prepare you.
Kurtis Lowe
All-American Gator

Re: ESPN: Gators' offensive line talking a bigger game

Postby ATXGator » Thu May 09, 2013 4:37 pm

No No NO... It's all Driskel's fault!

Thanks for sharing. This was a great article. I really think the Oline is the key to our success!
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Nice read. Hope they truly show improvement. O-Line can make an offense look good with mediocre skill players, and really bad even with outstanding skill players.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks. Good article. But as someone said, it’s all Driskel’s fault.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby sportstalk » Thu May 09, 2013 6:45 pm

If Halapio is still on the team as a 12th year player, what is the over/under on how many times he will be chasing the guy in the backfield that he was supposed to block but totally whiffed on b/c he decided to help out on a defender who was already being double teamed???????
sportstalk
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

ATXGator wrote:No No NO... It's all Driskel's fault!

Thanks for sharing. This was a great article. I really think the Oline is the key to our success!

+1
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby jand3k » Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanx so much for this story. It is what the soul needs right now.

But I agree, plus I read it on the internet, it's Driskel's fault. ;)
Last edited by jand3k on Fri May 10, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator Fever » Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Unless we have a rash of injuries our O line will be real good this year and they weren't real bad last year like in 2010 and 2011 where almost every passing play someone was coming through hardly touched it seemed with Patchan and his club arm etc.

That Nebraska guy supposedly got a lot better when he got back in shape some by the end of Spring and was holding his own against our best after that I read somewhere anyway.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby divits888 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Apparently someone else didn’t get the memo that it’s all Driskel’s fault.

"I get your e-mails," Muschamp told the Gator Club. "I know how you want to throw the ball vertically on every down. But you have to have somebody to catch it, and you have somebody to block.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 431.column
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 pm

ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Thu May 09, 2013 9:42 pm

law98gator wrote:Image

Is that photoshopped ?
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 pm

At least he finally threw a TD!
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh those footloose cleatless claims. Wait to see.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 pm

You've switched sides so many times that I never know whether you are trying to reinforce or be sarcastic. And of course, I don't speak Rogdocese.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

law98gator wrote:You've switched sides so many times that I never know whether you are trying to reinforce or be sarcastic. And of course, I don't speak Rogdocese.

When there's a time lapse after a disappointment, I get unjustifiably optimistic without noticing there's been no rational refueling. Then
comes an "in-house" game where the pass-game is same or worse..the
OL is ?, the program organization/control is ?? etc.

And of course, you "law" keep dropping by to siphon off any fill-up of
false-fueled optimism .. and I appreciate that. Like you, I am similarly pessimistic, questioning. Plenty to doubt, huh ? I'm just not as solidly
optimistic about being pessimistic as you are.

....unless I'm just a stinging gadfly with compound viewing lens. ??
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I didn't get any of that. Llameme otra vez, muy despacio, por favor.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorKen » Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Gator Fever wrote:

Is that photoshopped ?

nope, that is 100% the pride of UF right there. He dresses like he plays QB :D
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby GatorKen » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Kurtis Lowe wrote:Nice read: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/64120/floridas-offensive-line-talking-a-bigger-game

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Before Florida’s offensive line strapped on those shiny orange-and-black knee braces and trotted onto the Gators’ practice fields this spring, Tim Davis put them through visual torture.

The Gators’ offensive line had a very schizophrenic identity last season, so Florida’s second-year offensive line coach decided to show them all the horrors of the up-and-down play in pass protection.

Davis showed his linemen every one of the 39 sacks Florida’s line surrendered in 2012. The ugly sack reel was meticulously studied over and over for two or three days, but the torment didn’t stop there.

Once the Gators got on the field, Davis had Florida’s film crew capture video of each lineman’s one-on-one sessions with defenders.

Needless to say, things weren’t pretty for Florida’s big boys.

“Oh man, it was ugly,” left guard Max Garcia said with a laugh. “It was ugly in the beginning.

“We understood that we needed to improve in that area.”

And if this offense, which had a mediocre passing game, was going to improve this spring, the line had to turn things around.

Now, there were factors working against Florida’s line. Seasoned starters Xavier Nixon and James Wilson were gone and the line was so banged up that the Gators finished spring with six healthy linemen.

But that didn’t stop players from learning and evolving. The education started with the sack reel, where blame wasn't the goal but improvement was. Davis showed all of the mistakes, but instead of singling out players, he discussed what to fix and how to fix it.

The biggest thing linemen took from the film sessions was the lack of communication in pass protection last season. Florida ran the ball so well, averaging 188 rushing yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry, but were last in the SEC in passing (146.3 yards per game).

Talking just wasn’t there.

When blocking for the run, communication combinations usually take place with a lineman and another player for a certain defender. In pass block, that communication might have to go through four or more players.

To improve communication, linemen simply talked more in and out of the film room, center Jonotthan Harrison said. They also became more vocal with the running backs, tight ends and quarterback Jeff Driskel during practice. Having another spring to digest Brent Pease’s offense also helped.

“Now that we’ve developed this communication,” Harrison said, “our pass protection is going to be much more successful.”

Injuries hurt, but coach Will Muschamp should have 15 scholarship offensive linemen this fall -- eight or nine of which that will be game-ready. And those game-ready bodies have a lot of experience, including new transfer players, like Garcia and tackle Tyler Moore, who started for the injured Chaz Green at right tackle this spring.

Garcia (Maryland) and Moore (Nebraska) have 16 combined starts. Other potential starters -- Green, Harrison, Jon Halapio and D.J. Humphries -- have 81 combined starts.

“We’re much better up front right now,” Muschamp said.

“There are a lot of guys that have had a lot of at-bats. “I really feel comfortable about our depth and talent at the position.”

But it isn’t just the numbers and physical improvement from the line that have people in Gainesville more excited about this front. This crew is fueled by media criticism hurled their way last year.

“It always eats at us because O-Line is one of those positions that’s all work no credit,” Harrison said. “So as we do badly, it’s pointed out, but when we do the good things they really just underplay the efforts that the offensive line gives.

“We’re looking forward to proving everybody wrong, come season time, and prove that we can pass protect and we have worked on it.”

Despite low spring numbers, the coaches and teammates were happy with the line’s play. Obviously, real improvement won’t be made until the games begin, but people seemed convinced that a stronger line will take the field for the Gators this fall.

“They just want to be known as a nasty offensive line that can be able to run and power down your throat and can pass block,” Buck defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. said. “They want to be an offensive line that when a defensive line has to play against team they’re going to be like, ‘Well, we’re going to have a tough day today.’

“They take pride in that.”

I am impressed that we have 15 OL on scholarship. At least 9 will be at size. And hopefully they are seeing what they need to do bond and promote internal leadership.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby ltraz » Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 am

At least he finally threw a TD!

You're so funny..hahaha...you're so funny. Man I wish we didn't root for the same team.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:25 am

Why don’t you post a picture of you and your squeeze so we can compare and see who leads the sadder life. Yup, he’s Driskelin’ alright.

divits888
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum