Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Durty South Swamp, GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, Sasquatch Gator, Swamp Queen and 42 guests

SEC Network facts and bits of tid

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

SEC Network facts and bits of tid

Postby gatorspook » Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 am

Not sure if a gatorzone quote is allowed here. If not, I'll delete it. Here's the URL too.

This is actually important stuff....worth the read. Chris Harry is one of the better writers out there in my mind. It's an overview (short and concise) of what is coming.

http://www.gatorzone.com/harry/blog/1368

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With Thursday’s announcement in Atlanta that the Southeastern Conference and ESPN are joining forces to launch the SEC Network in August 2014, there obviously are questions from Florida fans wondering how the new network will impact coverage of the Gators.

Mike Hill, UF’s executive associate athletics director for external affairs, anticipated some of those questions.

What does this mean for the Gators on Sun Sports?

“We will still have a relationship with Sun Sports, but it will be dramatically reduced in terms of television programing. “The Coach Will Muschamp Show” will remain on Sun Sports. So will Billy Donovan and Amanda Butler’s shows. Our magazine show, “GatorZone Television,” will stay on Sun Sports. But in terms of live events and replays, no, they will no longer air on Sun Sports. . “Breakfast With the Gators” will be gone, and football replays will likely air on the new network.

How about GatorVision and live streaming of events on the GatorZone website?

“Moms and dads who want to watch their daughters play softball, for example, won’t see it streamed through our GatorVision system anymore. But we will still be able to stream those events through ESPN. Basically, for select games not being telecast on the network or on one of the national platforms, the new network will produce some streaming events on ESPN or the WatchESPN app. Beyond that, the institutions will be allowed to produce additional events to be streamed, but they will have to be streamed through the SEC Network and ESPN’s site, provided that ESPN has enough capacity on that event day to accommodate it and provided the production is of a certain quality -- and we will give them high quality. I will say, for example, Friday nights in February, when you have gymnastics going on and baseball games going on and softball going on, not everybody is going to get [streamed]. We don’t stream every baseball and softball game right now, anyway. Our hope is that we’ll maintain the number of events we stream now and hopefully increase programming in the future.”

Will this make it any easier to find games on TV?

“It should make it much easier. Basically, this is going to consolidate a lot of programming that has been piece-mealed between the syndicated, over-the-air network currently branded “SEC Network,” plus events on Sun Sports, Fox Sports, etc. to one channel, in addition to the national networks: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and, of course, the CBS deal.”
gatorspook

Re: SEC Network facts and bits of tid

Postby gatorspook » Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am

gatorspook

Postby gatorspook » Sat May 04, 2013 12:03 pm

This is only for anyone who cares about the business implications and the standings with the other conferences and networks. By Kristi Dosh, a UF alumnus who is the last word on sports finances.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/3451/sec-latest-to-launch-conference-network.
gatorspook

Postby MJMGator » Sat May 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Good info. Thanks for sharing, spook.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorpe » Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm

My friend says now all the cable and sat systems will now have to negotiate and we will end up paying a lot to get it in the right tier of channels.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm

gatorpe wrote:My friend says now all the cable and sat systems will now have to negotiate and we will end up paying a lot to get it in the right tier of channels.

Ah, back to the days of SportsChannel Florida. The big deal here is the ESPN connection...
gatorspook

Postby CGgater » Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm in Ohio and paid for GatorVision so I could see the games that aren't nationally televised. Why? Because the ONLY cable provider in my area (Armstrong) isn't an ISP that carries espn360. I'm absolutely sick of the commercials that brag about bringing "your hometown team wherever you are," because they don't.

I'm just waiting to hear that Gatorvision won't do live streaming for any games that are slated for espn360. :gaah:
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby gatorspook » Sat May 04, 2013 10:55 pm

CGgater wrote:I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm in Ohio and paid for GatorVision so I could see the games that aren't nationally televised. Why? Because the ONLY cable provider in my area (Armstrong) isn't an ISP that carries espn360. I'm absolutely sick of the commercials that brag about bringing "your hometown team wherever you are," because they don't.

I'm just waiting to hear that Gatorvision won't do live streaming for any games that are slated for espn360. :gaah:

Gatorvision won't do live streaming at all....kind of the point in posting this stuff:

Moms and dads who want to watch their daughters play softball, for example, won’t see it streamed through our GatorVision system anymore. But we will still be able to stream those events through ESPN.
gatorspook

Postby TN G8tr » Sun May 05, 2013 6:52 am

It will be interesting to see how this all will work. For the last several years we have to get ESPN Game Plan to get all UF's games we do not attend. Dish Network has jacked the rates so bad in the last couple of years thoughts have come up to cut that programming. UF is becoming visible in Football on more and more major networks without ESPNGP. Maybe this takes care of that issue. But probably looking at fees somewhere along the line.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby PAGator » Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 am

gatorspook wrote:
CGgater wrote:I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm in Ohio and paid for GatorVision so I could see the games that aren't nationally televised. Why? Because the ONLY cable provider in my area (Armstrong) isn't an ISP that carries espn360. I'm absolutely sick of the commercials that brag about bringing "your hometown team wherever you are," because they don't.

Gatorvision won't do live streaming at all....kind of the point in posting this stuff:

Moms and dads who want to watch their daughters play softball, for example, won’t see it streamed through our GatorVision system anymore. But we will still be able to stream those events through ESPN.

I just cut the cable and went with OTA TV, Hulu and Netflix to save about $100/month on my Comcast bill and use Gatorvision to stream the games in PA. This new deal will bring the schools more money but is gonna hold viewers hostage to the cable/satellite companies. I'm not too thrilled that we're gonna lose the streaming option so that ESPN can bend us over.
PAGator
Freshman Gator

Postby CGgater » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm

gatorspook wrote:

Well, first of all, I'm too lazy to read the entire article. Secondly, since the quote mentioned women's softball, I wonder if that comment was referencing non-revenue games. They didn't come right out and say football and basketball would no longer be streaming live on Gatorvision.
To quote Lloyd Christmas - "So, you're saying there's a chance..."
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby TommyGator » Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 am

Thanks , Spook. Good info....
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon May 06, 2013 8:36 am

TN G8tr wrote:It will be interesting to see how this all will work. For the last several years we have to get ESPN Game Plan to get all UF's games we do not attend. Dish Network has jacked the rates so bad in the last couple of years thoughts have come up to cut that programming. UF is becoming visible in Football on more and more major networks without ESPNGP. Maybe this takes care of that issue. But probably looking at fees somewhere along the line.

Mike Slive has put his entire recent life into this project. With his track record, I tend to believe it will be okay.
gatorspook

Postby BostonGator84 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am

Hoping Verizon FIOS picks up this network. Otherwise, time to switch providers.

Being in Boston, I don't get Sunsports or any of the other regional channels, so getting a national network like this is huge.
BostonGator84
True Gator

Postby Vatgator » Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 am

AT&T U-verse only has 4.5M subscribers?

The BTN has 80M?
Vatgator
True Gator

Postby buck16 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 am

Will the SEC network be more of the lovefest with UA and UGA? The gymnastics championship was all UA and UGA with LSU thrown in a little. You would have never known UF was scoring over 9.0 on over 90% of their efforts. Yet you saw UGA, which finished dead last in the SEC championship(counting the final 4 finalist) and dead last at the NCAA. They still dominated the coverage.

It appeared as if the announcers would announce UF's score during an UA or UGA performance.

The one that took the cake was when our crowd, along with the team, knew we had won. He seemed surprised when he said that we were acting as if we had won the title.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby buck16 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:14 pm

There is a lot of comparison between the new SEC network and the creation of an ACC network. They were counting the footprints as equal. That's their idea but they are missing an important fact. The SEC is in 11 contigious states and THE top university (the university of) is in these 10 s of these tates. Only Texas is the state where we do not have THE university of that state.

This usually (always) mean there is more foot prints in the SEC and more money by far. The ACC only have NC, VA as The university of that state. All the others are below. Therefore less alumni and less money.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Well it appears that I will get more selection of UF games, but will have to pay for them. I live in TN and perhaps that will get us the SEC network on our Charter Cable system, or the local version JEA. I hope I won't have to change and will get the benefits.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby gatorspook » Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

buck16 wrote:There is a lot of comparison between the new SEC network and the creation of an ACC network. They were counting the footprints as equal. That's their idea but they are missing an important fact. The SEC is in 11 contigious states and THE top university (the university of) is in these 10 s of these tates. Only Texas is the state where we do not have THE university of that state.

This usually (always) mean there is more foot prints in the SEC and more money by far. The ACC only have NC, VA as The university of that state. All the others are below. Therefore less alumni and less money.

Yeah yeah yeah....yawn....more important is that no one wants to watch an ACC network.
gatorspook

Postby StPeteGator » Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 pm

CGgater wrote:
gatorspook wrote:

Well, first of all, I'm too lazy to read the entire article. Secondly, since the quote mentioned women's softball, I wonder if that comment was referencing non-revenue games. They didn't come right out and say football and basketball would no longer be streaming live on Gatorvision.
To quote Lloyd Christmas - "So, you're saying there's a chance..."

:clap2: :clap2:

Well done! :lol:
StPeteGator
Senior Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum