Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Clawhammergator, digitalwangsta, Google Adsense [Bot], MJMGator, soflagator, Yahoo [Bot] and 49 guests

139th Kentucky Derby

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

139th Kentucky Derby

Postby Quasimodo » Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Who does everyone like this year? I'm not really liking any of the big longshots (20/1 or longer). With the Derby I usually try to avoid the favorites as much as possible, but Verrazano, Orb and Goldencents look too superior. The only two double digit odds I could see hitting the board are Vyjack and Normandy Invasion, but I'm not that confident in either. At the same time the price they'll offer screams for a bet.

I know we have a few parimutuel investors here. I'd like to here your thoughts on this race if you don't mind.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Re: 139th Kentucky Derby

Postby jand3k » Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm

God bless our Military!
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby BNAG8R » Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm going with Hoof Hearted.
In all kinds of weather we'll all stick together......for F-L-O-R-I-D-A!!
BNAG8R
All-American Gator

Postby ShowMeLove » Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 pm

BNAG8R wrote:I'm going with Hoof Hearted.

:laugh:
ShowMeLove
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Fri May 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Quasimodo wrote:Who does everyone like this year? I'm not really liking any of the big longshots (20/1 or longer). With the Derby I usually try to avoid the favorites as much as possible, but Verrazano, Orb and Goldencents look too superior. The only two double digit odds I could see hitting the board are Vyjack and Normandy Invasion, but I'm not that confident in either. At the same time the price they'll offer screams for a bet.

I know we have a few parimutuel investors here. I'd like to here your thoughts on this race if you don't mind.

Okay, a little research and I'm up to speed.
Verrazano at 4-1 with Velasquez riding looks like my favorite.
Borel riding Revolutionary at 10-1 is a decent outside shot; especially since he's been red-hot at the Derby the last few years.
For a real long-shot, I would look to Oxbow at 30-1 out of DW Lukas stables and Gary Stevens riding.
Good luck Q!
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Quasimodo » Fri May 03, 2013 4:07 pm

GatorBart wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Who does everyone like this year? I'm not really liking any of the big longshots (20/1 or longer). With the Derby I usually try to avoid the favorites as much as possible, but Verrazano, Orb and Goldencents look too superior. The only two double digit odds I could see hitting the board are Vyjack and Normandy Invasion, but I'm not that confident in either. At the same time the price they'll offer screams for a bet.

Okay, a little research and I'm up to speed.
Verrazano at 4-1 with Velasquez riding looks like my favorite.
Borel riding Revolutionary at 10-1 is a decent outside shot; especially since he's been red-hot at the Derby the last few years.
For a real long-shot, I would look to Oxbow at 30-1 out of DW Lukas stables and Gary Stevens riding.
Good luck Q!

Thanks Bart. Good info about Borel, he has been great at the Derby recently and Revolutionary comes in with good form. I'll have to look harder at Oxbow, not sure what happened in his last race. He doesn't usually start so behind out of the gate. But it would be pretty cool to see Lukas and Stevens hook up for another Derby win like they did in 95 with Thunder Gulch.
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorOwls » Fri May 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Orb!
GatorOwls
Baby Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Bet everything on Sir Trotsalot . That's my giddyap .
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Quasimodo » Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 am

Alright boys, I'm going with Normandy Invasion and Vyjack to Win-Place-Show. I'll be keying them in the Exacta and Trifecta too with Goldencents, Verrazano and Overanalyze. Best of luck.
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby Slevin » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 am

I'm completely dumbfounded this made it past the 1st Kentucky Derby. Why on earth horse racing is entertaining is beyond me.
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby WobbleGator » Sat May 04, 2013 8:05 am

Slevin wrote:I'm completely dumbfounded this made it past the 1st Kentucky Derby. Why on earth horse racing is entertaining is beyond me.

+1
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby jand3k » Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Will be rained out...
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator Fever » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

If the odds keep going this way the value bet is Verrazano at 9-1 right now as he has a good chance to win imo. He is a steal at 8-1 or better imo. I actually like Revolutionary slightly better but took Verazzano to win instead due to the changing odds pushing Revolutionary down to almost 5-1 now - I guess the Borel factor is doing it. A long shot I like and that is in my exotics is Java's War - if he can find a way through traffic he should be coming at the end

These are the 5 I am using by post position in my exotics in addition to a large bet on Verazano to win.

14. Verrazano
3. Revolutionary
19. Java's War
8. Goldencents
12. Itsmyluckyday
Last edited by Gator Fever on Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Sat May 04, 2013 1:33 pm

The Greatest 2 Minutes in Sports - Definately more entertaining than Baseball or NASCAR etc. imo and for those 2 minutes matches up with most sports.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Sat May 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Gator Fever wrote:The Greatest 2 Minutes in Sports - Definately more entertaining than Baseball or NASCAR etc. imo and for those 2 minutes matches up with most sports.

Nope.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Sat May 04, 2013 1:54 pm

WobbleGator wrote:
Gator Fever wrote:The Greatest 2 Minutes in Sports - Definately more entertaining than Baseball or NASCAR etc. imo and for those 2 minutes matches up with most sports.

Nope.

Its is imo. At least it is exciting at the final stretch while those 2 are like watching paint dry as a spectator most times. NASCAR is almost as boring as Indy Car racing now with how they race.
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Sat May 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Gator Fever wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:

Nope.

Its is imo. At least it is exciting at the final stretch while those 2 are like watching paint dry as a spectator most times. NASCAR is almost as boring as Indy Car racing now with how they race.

Horse racing is boring. End of thread.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm

WobbleGator wrote:
Gator Fever wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:

Nope.

We disagree and the thread is living for now. ;)
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Sat May 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Gator Fever wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:
Gator Fever wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:

Nope.

We disagree and the thread is living for now. ;)

:D
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Quasimodo » Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm

GatorOwls wrote:Orb!

Nice call!
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum