Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gardnerwebbalumnigator, GatorBart, Gatorious, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, RebelGator and 59 guests

Muschamp building hybrid of Bama, Boise State, and Stanford

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Muschamp building hybrid of Bama, Boise State, and Stanford

Postby Slevin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Gotta give credit to Smashingmilfs over at gatorbait for finding the article.

This is a great read on Muschamp building a hybrid powerhouse and knowing what coaching trees to pluck young, talented, and smart assistants from. We are in good hands.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/4/17/ ... oise-state
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Re: Muschamp building hybrid of Bama, Boise State, and Stanford

Postby lagator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd give him credit just for the username.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Slevin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:56 pm

lagator wrote:I'd give him credit just for the username.

:lol: it is a pretty smashing name isn't it
soflagator wrote:

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby unofficialgator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:20 pm

lovely article
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Bravo ! Such a hybrid might plug all holes, so opponents would have
too little to scheme advantage of..?

Remember, Boise State had a "wildish" offensive scheme .. similar
to what Manziel and aTm's HC uses. Go Gators.
Last edited by rogdochar on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Rog, I haven't seen a scrap of Boise's offense in our "scheme" other than a few formations... or Stanford's prolific passing game... or even Bama's opportunistic passing game.

The article pushes pretty hard to see something which isn't really there. Hiring two BSU coaches does not make one Peterson. In fact, Muschamp is almost diametrically opposed to Peterson's concepts (at least his offensive ones and Peterson is an offensive guy).

Hiring good young coaches and encouraging to perform so they can seek a better job is hardly a new concept. We'll see how long he can do it. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Many coaches have that idea, but most can't fire the under-achieving assistant or even assess when some assistants aren't capable of doing the job.

Last edited by law98gator on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

"Law's" thinking is reality, while the gist of the thread and that article
is flighty -- lofty hang-gliding on the hypothetical.

There has not been even launch-steps towards that elevated offense
of Boise State's flight-plan. This is the third year, so definitely it is
"high-time" for a take-off in passing. Let's wait to see and let's hold
accountable, same as other HCs/OCs with programs after 3 years.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:47 pm

But Bama and Boise can beat Georgia...
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Under SOS UF went 11-1 versus UGa. Also SOS's defenses were often
top-10.

To justify the offense expectation here at UF:

For 12 years the UF Offense won national praise....(under Spurrier).
UF typically scored well over 65 TDs/year. = about 5.4 TDs/game.
Opponents, including UGa (scored 52 between the Hedges), had to
face overcoming at least 37 points every time they faced the Gators.

We can settle for less offense, but why not eventually expect high
ranking offenses (say in 4 years,since SOS did it year one) ? If 4-6
coaches nationally are going to produce this, why shouldn't an HC
like that be employed by UF ? Muschamp should be one of those.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Slevin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm

law98gator wrote:Rog, I haven't seen a scrap of Boise's offense in our "scheme" other than a few formations... or Stanford's prolific passing game... or even Bama's opportunistic passing game.

The article pushes pretty hard to see something which isn't really there. Hiring two BSU coaches does not make one Peterson. In fact, Muschamp is almost diametrically opposed to Peterson's concepts (at least his offensive ones and Peterson is an offensive guy).

Hiring good young coaches and encouraging to perform so they can seek a better job is hardly a new concept. We'll see how long he can do it. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Many coaches have that idea, but most can't fire the under-achieving assistant or even assess when some assistants aren't capable of doing the job.

Jesus dude are you ever happy? Good lord man
soflagator wrote:

Slevin

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I like Steve Spurrier and I know he was a great coach for the Gators, but why do we keep going back to Spurrier? Hell, Alabama has gotten over the Bear so isn't it time the Gators got over Spurrier?

Will Mushchamp has to be true to himself and build this team and this program in his image. I am not sure about all of this hybrid stuff. I think Muschamp is just trying to get the best people he can in here and get people that he can be on the same page with and he can get along with and have the same passion about the game that he does.

People keep on waiting for the return of Spurrier. I know there are plenty of you out there who would trade Muschamp right now for Steve Spurrier and would do it even knowing Steve is 67 years old. I am not one of those who would want Spurrier to come back. I'll stick with Muschamp. He's our coach now.

A lot of people keep hoping that we are going to open up the offense. They think that Will Muschamp is going to go to sleep one night and be visited by the ghost of Steve Spurrier, and Muschamp is going to wake up the next morning and install the fun-n-gun offense. People thought this when we hired Weiss. People thought this when we hired Peterson. It was like we were going to run the Boise State offense.

Muschamp says he will run the ball 25 straight times to run out the clock if that's what it takes to win a game. I haven't heard or seen anything that would indicate that Muschamp is going to drastically change his philosophy of football. His style is the 1980s SEC smashmouth football. Remember, he played for Georgia, the Georgia before Spurrier took over in Gainesville.

I see Muschamp being a hybrid of Charley Pell, Vince Dooley, and Nick Saban.
Muschamp was school kid living in Gainesville when Pell coached here. Muschamp was a player at Georgia under Ray Golf and Golf played for Dooley. And Muschamp coached under Saban at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins. He is rooted in the run it down their throat SEC football, play good defense, capitalize on turnovers, dominate field position, don't make mistakes, kicking game and all that jazz.

We won with Spurrier big time. We can win with Muschamp. But some Gators are just not going to like it as good as they did with Spurrier.
Last edited by Okeechobee Joe on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Slevin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 pm

I mean, we all knew, all said it, all acknowledged the fact there was a huge nosedive in talent on the offensive side of the ball in the '10 and '11 seasons. We all knew it was going to be a climb out of that proverbial hole of suckage. For anyone to honestly think that we were suppose to be The New England Patriots last year is on crack. The coaches saw exactly what we had, or the lack thereof, and did the best they possibly could. They lost out on a few recruits and they learned their lessons on it this year around.

You'd have to be a complete jackass to not see the coaching staff learning and adapting quickly to the game. They are laying a foundation and they are doing it smartly. Getting rid of Verducci, Weis, and Marotti after year one shows Champ aint fuggin around. He's got his sites set and he's working hard to get us there. So law, to honestly sit around and b*** and moan as much as you do, you should at least sit back and see the larger picture.
soflagator wrote:

Slevin

Postby Swamp Queen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Slevin wrote:I mean, we all knew, all said it, all acknowledged the fact there was a huge nosedive in talent on the offensive side of the ball in the '10 and '11 seasons. We all knew it was going to be a climb out of that proverbial hole of suckage. For anyone to honestly think that we were suppose to be The New England Patriots last year is on crack. The coaches saw exactly what we had, or the lack thereof, and did the best they possibly could. They lost out on a few recruits and they learned their lessons on it this year around.

You'd have to be a complete jackass to not see the coaching staff learning and adapting quickly to the game. They are laying a foundation and they are doing it smartly. Getting rid of Verducci, Weis, and Marotti after year one shows Champ aint fuggin around. He's got his sites set and he's working hard to get us there. So law, to honestly sit around and b*** and moan as much as you do, you should at least sit back and see the larger picture.

Amen. The hipster has a point.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Okeechobee Joe wrote:I like Steve Spurrier and I know he was a great coach for the Gators, but why do we keep going back to Spurrier? Hell, Alabama has gotten over the Bear so isn't it time the Gators got over Spurrier?

Will Mushchamp has to be true to himself and build this team and this program in his image. I am not sure about all of this hybrid stuff. I think Muschamp is just trying to get the best people he can in here and get people that he can be on the same page with and he can get along with and have the same passion about the game that he does.

People keep on waiting for the return of Spurrier. I know there are plenty of you out there who would trade Muschamp right now for Steve Spurrier and would do it even knowing Steve is 67 years old. I am not one of those who would want Spurrier to come back. I'll stick with Muschamp. He's our coach now.

A lot of people keep hoping that we are going to open up the offense. They think that Will Muschamp is going to go to sleep one night and be visited by the ghost of Steve Spurrier, and Muschamp is going to wake up the next morning and install the fun-n-gun offense. People thought this when we hired Weiss. People thought this when we hired Peterson. It was like we were going to run the Boise State offense.

Muschamp says he will run the ball 25 straight times to run out the clock if that's what it takes to win a game. I haven't heard or seen anything that would indicate that Muschamp is going to drastically change his philosophy of football. His style is the 1980s SEC smashmouth football. Remember, he played for Georgia, the Georgia before Spurrier took over in Gainesville.

Muschamp was school kid living in Gainesville when Pell coached here. Muschamp was a player under Dooley and Georgia. And Muschamp coached under Saban at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins. He is rooted in the run it down their throat SEC football, play good defense, capitalize on turnovers, dominate field position, don't make mistakes, kicking game and all that jazz.

We won with Spurrier big time. We can win with Muschamp. But some Gators are just not going to like it as good as they did with Spurrier.

+1
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Swamp Queen wrote:
Slevin wrote:I mean, we all knew, all said it, all acknowledged the fact there was a huge nosedive in talent on the offensive side of the ball in the '10 and '11 seasons. We all knew it was going to be a climb out of that proverbial hole of suckage. For anyone to honestly think that we were suppose to be The New England Patriots last year is on crack. The coaches saw exactly what we had, or the lack thereof, and did the best they possibly could. They lost out on a few recruits and they learned their lessons on it this year around.

Walking into that wall knocked some sense into him.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:
Swamp Queen wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby Slevin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:
Swamp Queen wrote:

:lol: :lol: Dude my head still hurts. Friggin hippies and their stupid art school walls.
soflagator wrote:

Slevin

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 pm

MJMGator wrote:
Okeechobee Joe wrote:I like Steve Spurrier and I know he was a great coach for the Gators, but why do we keep going back to Spurrier? Hell, Alabama has gotten over the Bear so isn't it time the Gators got over Spurrier?

Muschamp was school kid living in Gainesville when Pell coached here. Muschamp was a player under Dooley and Georgia. And Muschamp coached under Saban at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins. He is rooted in the run it down their throat SEC football, play good defense, capitalize on turnovers, dominate field position, don't make mistakes, kicking game and all that jazz.

+1

I made a glaring mistake in this post when I said that Muschamp played for Vince Dooley at Georgia. Muschamp's coach at Georgia was Ray Golf. But Golf played for Dooley, and Dooley's influence at Georgia was deep at the time Muschamp was at Georgia. Thus Muschamp had to be influenced, at least to some extent, by Vince Dooley's philosophy of football.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby gator1946 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Dooley's influence at Georgia was deep at the time Muschamp was at Georgia

You have just caused me to re-evaluate my support of Muschamp. :happyevil:
I can take some connection with goofy Goff. But any association with Dooley, however indirect, is grounds. That SOB has caused me more pain than my first wife.

I've never been divorced. Hope she doesn't read this.
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 am

Slevin wrote: Getting rid of Verducci, Weis, and Marotti after year one shows Champ aint fuggin around.

That a good point.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum