Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], TN G8tr and 12 guests

WHY is Gonzaga such a media darling?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

WHY is Gonzaga such a media darling?

Postby Jbossgator9 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm

They have only been to the Sweet 16 twice in the past 10 years or so and have been 1 and done a bunch of times. Has there ever been a team that was such a media darling that has been the biggest disappointment in the NCAA Tourney. I know some of yall would gloat and complain about Billy D and the Gators being one and done for short period before we won Back 2 Back National Titles. Over at the Gonzaga boards they must want Mark Few's head on a silver platter for all their continued disappointments in the tourney after very high expectations. Thank God we have Billy D and we have had a TON of success in the tourney!! Just another reason why Billy D is the best coach ever. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Re: WHY is Gonzaga such a media darling?

Postby oxrageous » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Stop using multiple exclamation points. You're getting better, but you still need work.
oxrageous

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm

This ought to be enough to get NV to log back in. :lol:
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby guardian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Jbossgator9 wrote:They have only been to the Sweet 16 twice in the past 10 years or so and have been 1 and done a bunch of times. Has there ever been a team that was such a media darling that has been the biggest disappointment in the NCAA Tourney. I know some of yall would gloat and complain about Billy D and the Gators being one and done for short period before we won Back 2 Back National Titles. Over at the Gonzaga boards they must want Mark Few's head on a silver platter for all their continued disappointments in the tourney after very high expectations. Thank God we have Billy D and we have had a TON of success in the tourney!! Just another reason why Billy D is the best coach ever. Go Gators!!

Part of it is the mid-major mystique and that underdog thing. They'll have to show me something before I pick them to win more than 1 game in the tourney, and this year was the time to do it. They failed.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Class of '78 wrote:This ought to be enough to get NV to log back in. :lol:

Did he have an av bet on the line? Maybe he's waiting that out. I hope he wouldn't puss out of the board completely.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah they keep failing and I never hear anything about it. It seems they get a pass since they were one of the first mid majors to have success in the tourney but that was back in 1999.
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Media loves the underdog/Cinderella story simple as that. If they win its a big story an if they lose its a well at least they got that far
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 am

#1GATOR FAN wrote:Media loves the underdog/Cinderella story simple as that. If they win its a big story an if they lose its a well at least they got that far

... along those lines, Gonzaga usually overachieves, even with early
exits in tournaments. Jeez, they got the gurus to rank them #1 at
the most crucial part of the season.... then again who cares.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 am

Swamp Queen wrote:

Did he have an av bet on the line? Maybe he's waiting that out. I hope he wouldn't puss out of the board completely.

It appears he did just that. A measly 3 day vacation did him in forever. It must have been a world record amount of butthurt. I would have done it sooner had I known it was that easy. :lol:
oxrageous

Postby WhoGator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:37 am

My Take FWIW--- Few prepares them well in the early season and while most teams are just getting their feet wet, experimenting with line-ups, seeing what young guys will contribute, etc., he treats those pre-conference games and holiday tournaments as if it's the NCAA tournament. If he gets one or two upsets out of it, he knows he will be able to run the table once conference starts (check out their January-February record the last 10 years) and finish the season with only 2-4 losses. Only problem is, come March, everyone is taking those game seriously as well.
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 am

oxrageous wrote:
Swamp Queen wrote:

It appears he did just that. A measly 3 day vacation did him in forever. It must have been a world record amount of butthurt. I would have done it sooner had I known it was that easy. :lol:

It was clear from his first days around here he was cut from very sensitive material. I hope his disappearance is of his own choosing and not indicative of something far more serious.
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 am

itsgr82baflagator wrote:
oxrageous wrote:
Swamp Queen wrote:

It was clear from his first days around here he was cut from very sensitive material. I hope his disappearance is of his own choosing and not indicative of something far more serious.

NV will be back one of these days. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby old mossback gator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 am

I think people like to say "GONZAGA"

Say it to yourself a couple of times, it sounds cool and is fun to say.

I also think people like to hear other people say "GONZAGA"
old mossback gator
Redshirt Gator

Postby gatorpe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 pm

old mossback gator wrote:I think people like to say "GONZAGA"

Say it to yourself a couple of times, it sounds cool and is fun to say.

I also think people like to hear other people say "GONZAGA"

Beat me to it.
1. They always have a white star.
2. cool name
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby old mossback gator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm

I think Art Vandelay is the greatest Zag ever
old mossback gator
Redshirt Gator

Postby GatorBart » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 pm

old mossback gator wrote:I think Art Vandelay is the greatest Zag ever

Hey, that's my latex salesman, architect, and importer/exporter you're talking about! :madevil:

Living in the State of Washington, Gonzaga is king of the hill out here. Even the Husky fans in Seattle jump on the bandwagon when their team is down, which it has been a lot lately. I had the Zags losing in the Sweet 16 and I'm happy they lost before that. They just don't play anyone of value toward the end of the season to prepare them well for the tournament.
It is a fun word to say, I'll give you that.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm

old mossback gator wrote:I think Art Vandelay is the greatest Zag ever

Well there it is: prior thought + this post shows "OleMoss" could've sat
at the Seinfeld writers' table ... or could be Jack Handey's illegitimate
brother.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby unofficialgator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm

GONZAGA IS LIKE THE FUNNEST NAME TO SAY SINCE MUFASA

but yeah, lookin at how well they do in the regular season, you can't give them a low seed. In terms of regular season they remind me of the 90's braves and early 2000's pistons who won alot during the regular season over the course of many seasons... but hey even those teams at least won the championship once in their runs.

GONZAGA
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 am

Always liked the name of figure skater Oksana Bayul. Great to say when you have a cold... first name alone will clear tons of flem from the back of your throat.

Still wondering about NV... we've thrown this bait out for him and no bites.
:fishing:
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Quasimodo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 am

Jboss, Gonzaga is not a media darling. They are only relevant when they win 90% of their games or make a deep tournament run as a double digit seed. While the true media darlings: Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina are struggling.

Even in the rare occasion when Gonzaga gets respect in the polls, most writers or experts are dissing them rather than praising them, saying they don't belong with the big boys. Which happened to be true this year.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum