Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, bradgator2, CivilGator, Class of '78, Clawhammergator, gatormoe1, gatorpe, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, WobbleGator and 49 guests

Severence or Extortion

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Severence or Extortion

Postby WhoGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Rutgers BB Coach Mike Rice
by rogdochar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am

What about the career of the assistant coach who long ago reported
the abuse and got fired ? Where is he ?

Interesting you ask, Rog... I was about to open a new thread to get the GSMB opinion on this assistant coach and the latest developments and noticed your question on a thread about the POS Rutgers coach Rice. Murdock is a totally different type of low-life and since it's no-news April, deserving of his own thread.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-04-07/rutgers-basketball-scandal-mike-rice-eric-murdock-fbi-investigation?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D294835

First of all... Murdock was a Basketball Director of Operations, a stepping stone to be an Asst Coach. Matt McCall had the job here for a few years before getting a real assistant coaching job at FAU, before returning as one of Billy's assistants for two years now.

My understanding of the timeline:
1) Murdock sees the abuse while on the job, says nothing.
2) Murdock's contract is not renewed in June 2012, after one season at $70,000/yr.
3) In November/December he gives a letter and VHS tape to the AD Pernetti (now resigned) demanding $950,000 or the tape will go public.
4) Pernetti disciplines his head coach Rice (now fired) and ignores threat from Murdock.
5) Murdock comes out as the hero whistleblower in April 2013 for stopping this horid abuse at Rutgers.

My take (which has actually changed in the last few days):
1) My son would never have been allowed nor would have wanted to play for a coach like Bob Knight, and although those types are becoming dinosaurs, there are still some around (Rice). Some kids like that (see several Rutgers player comments on Rice) and some parents want their kids to be militarily disciplined/coached. D1 hoopsters have many options on the coach they play for, do your homework and find one whose methods you prefer.
2) Pernetti doesn't fire Rice in November because doing so would make it look like the "powerful" AD is being manipulated by ex-employee Murdock. He knows he has to do something with Rice, which he does, but going to outside officials with extortion claims would blow the whole thing out of the water, which university attorneys probably advised against. "It will go away" they said, becase this guy's not stupid enough to go through with his threat.
3) Murdock was stupid enough to go through with his threat... His attorneys claim it's just a normal loss of job settlement. I say asking a former employer for 13+ years pay as severence for one year on the job is not a settlement, it's extortion.
4) Rice deserved to be fired. Pernetti was a scapegoat for the university. Murdock should go to jail.
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Re: Severence or Extortion

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 am

tldr
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:46 am

Good dig up "WhoGator" . That's quite an intersection of crap-heads.
Most great coaches that were asked stated there is no place for that
coaching style-attitude in CBkB.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

WobbleGator wrote:tldr

I know Wobs and I'm sorry... completely an oppowobble post and I was thinking that as I tried to shorten it, which believe it or not I did.
Just a lot of time to kill with a lot of good material on a current event.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

WhoGator wrote:

I know Wobs and I'm sorry... completely an oppowobble post and I was thinking that as I tried to shorten it, which believe it or not I did.
Just a lot of time to kill with a lot of good material on a current event.

You are forgiven.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorBart » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 pm

WhoGator wrote:
Re: Rutgers BB Coach Mike Rice
by rogdochar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am

What about the career of the assistant coach who long ago reported
the abuse and got fired ? Where is he ?

Interesting you ask, Rog... I was about to open a new thread to get the GSMB opinion on this assistant coach and the latest developments and noticed your question on a thread about the POS Rutgers coach Rice. Murdock is a totally different type of low-life and since it's no-news April, deserving of his own thread.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-04-07/rutgers-basketball-scandal-mike-rice-eric-murdock-fbi-investigation?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D294835

First of all... Murdock was a Basketball Director of Operations, a stepping stone to be an Asst Coach. Matt McCall had the job here for a few years before getting a real assistant coaching job at FAU, before returning as one of Billy's assistants for two years now.

My understanding of the timeline:
1) Murdock sees the abuse while on the job, says nothing.
2) Murdock's contract is not renewed in June 2012, after one season at $70,000/yr.
3) In November/December he gives a letter and VHS tape to the AD Pernetti (now resigned) demanding $950,000 or the tape will go public.
4) Pernetti disciplines his head coach Rice (now fired) and ignores threat from Murdock.
5) Murdock comes out as the hero whistleblower in April 2013 for stopping this horid abuse at Rutgers.

My take (which has actually changed in the last few days):
1) My son would never have been allowed nor would have wanted to play for a coach like Bob Knight, and although those types are becoming dinosaurs, there are still some around (Rice). Some kids like that (see several Rutgers player comments on Rice) and some parents want their kids to be militarily disciplined/coached. D1 hoopsters have many options on the coach they play for, do your homework and find one whose methods you prefer.
2) Pernetti doesn't fire Rice in November because doing so would make it look like the "powerful" AD is being manipulated by ex-employee Murdock. He knows he has to do something with Rice, which he does, but going to outside officials with extortion claims would blow the whole thing out of the water, which university attorneys probably advised against. "It will go away" they said, becase this guy's not stupid enough to go through with his threat.
3) Murdock was stupid enough to go through with his threat... His attorneys claim it's just a normal loss of job settlement. I say asking a former employer for 13+ years pay as severence for one year on the job is not a settlement, it's extortion.
4) Rice deserved to be fired. Pernetti was a scapegoat for the university. Murdock should go to jail.

Other than watching the video, this is the most I've read on subject. Thanks for the details on how it all went down.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Alagator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

:? So Wobble, were one sentence or one word posts getting too burdensome for you? You have now been reduced to only letters? :?
Kcgator wrote:
...bite him in his tightly puckered anus.

Soflagator wrote:
"We should really try not sucking for 30+ minutes of each game."
Alagator
Heisman Gator

Postby NoGaGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm

po-ta-to, po-tah-to...
NoGaGator
All-American Gator

Postby WhoGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Other than watching the video, this is the most I've read on subject. Thanks for the details on how it all went down.

Thanks, the story fascinates me because we don't know the half of it and it's fun speculating.
What do you law guys think :question:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WhoGator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 pm

This just in... Pernetti's getting taken care of for being the sacrificial lamb.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9146805/former-rutgers-scarlet-knights-ad-tim-pernetti-getting-12m-ipad

The biggest proof -
Rutgers agreed to represent Pernetti in any lawsuits related to his job as athletic director.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 am

Alagator wrote:

:? So Wobble, were one sentence or one word posts getting too burdensome for you? You have now been reduced to only letters? :?

fu :lol:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 am

Alagator wrote:

Those aren't even "Wobbles" letters; I've seen 'em many times before.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum