Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cover2, dz_23, Gatorious, Google Adsense [Bot], MJMGator, MSNbot Media, NoGaGator, swampfuel, Wait ’til next year, Yahoo [Bot] and 86 guests

Rex Grossman

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Rex Grossman

Postby digitalwangsta » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:50 am

Congrats to Rex Grossman on the Hall of Fame at UF. Up here in Chicago, I'm always defending him as a player that led a team to the Super Bowl but Bears fans rip him. Always liked his gunslinger mentality at Florida and the fact that he stayed during Zook's first year showed how much he liked Florida
digitalwangsta
True Gator

Re: Rex Grossman

Postby UFGatorD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:07 am

I have always been a Rex fan. I have every game from 2001 on tape and that season was so much fun to watch, especially the LSU game. I dont think UF has ever trashed LSU so bad in Baton Rouge before and definitely not since. That was SOS's last year and (yes, i know a lot of if's) if it wasnt for 9/11 we would have beat Tennessee and played in the NC game. Ole Darnell Dockett took out Earnest Graham and we lost to UT in OT going for 2.

Also, Rex should have won the Heisman that year. He dominated in just about every statistical categories, but he was a sophomore. Crouch from Nebraska won it and our backup QB (Brock Berlin) had more passing TD's than Crouch did.

Great season! I also remember that Brock was supposed to be the next Danny, but Rex (a 3 star recruit) beat him out. You could really see a difference in talent during the bowl game against Syracuse when Brock started the game b/c Rex missed curfew. The offense was not moving until Rex got into the game and we destroyed Syracuse after that. (Maybe it was Maryland, sorry cant recall)
UFGatorD
Freshman Gator

Postby Slevin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:19 am

UFGatorD wrote:I have always been a Rex fan. I have every game from 2001 on tape and that season was so much fun to watch, especially the LSU game. I dont think UF has ever trashed LSU so bad in Baton Rouge before and definitely not since. That was SOS's last year and (yes, i know a lot of if's) if it wasnt for 9/11 we would have beat Tennessee and played in the NC game. Ole Darnell Dockett took out Earnest Graham and we lost to UT in OT going for 2.

Also, Rex should have won the Heisman that year. He dominated in just about every statistical categories, but he was a sophomore. Crouch from Nebraska won it and our backup QB (Brock Berlin) had more passing TD's than Crouch did.

Great season! I also remember that Brock was supposed to be the next Danny, but Rex (a 3 star recruit) beat him out. You could really see a difference in talent during the bowl game against Syracuse when Brock started the game b/c Rex missed curfew. The offense was not moving until Rex got into the game and we destroyed Syracuse after that. (Maybe it was Maryland, sorry cant recall)

It was Maryland. They were trash talking us leading up to the game saying how they wanted to play someone else and that we didn't belong in the game. Scored 50 plus on those idiots.
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby TN G8tr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 am

It was almost comical at those Maryland idiots trash talkin to us so bad and even right before kickoff. Once in Dolphin Stadium and Rex got off the bench he unleashed a large can of STFU! I'll never forget that night and game. So glad that I went looking back at it.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 am

He didnt LEAD the Bears to the Super Bowl but he doesn't receive enough credit for helping get them there for sure.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Homer J » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 am

digitalwangsta wrote:Congrats to Rex Grossman on the Hall of Fame at UF. Up here in Chicago, I'm always defending him as a player that led a team to the Super Bowl but Bears fans rip him. Always liked his gunslinger mentality at Florida and the fact that he stayed during Zook's first year showed how much he liked Florida

Rex was either awesome or terrible, there was no in between. But, I loved his confidence.

As for the Bears, they spent all that money on Cutler and have nothing to show for it.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:55 am

Initially it was a series of season-ending injuries that led to the frustration with Good Rex, Bad Rex, but ultimately it was turnovers that brought about his demise. He had more picks than TDs in six of nine seasons, the majority of those occurring while he was in Chicago. He was erratic even in the 2006 Super Bowl season, a season in which the Bears' defense was dominant.

I don't think Grossman ever saw a deep ball opportunity he didn't like, hence the moniker.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby S4F4M » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Class of '78 wrote:Initially it was a series of season-ending injuries that led to the frustration with Good Rex, Bad Rex, but ultimately it was turnovers that brought about his demise. He had more picks than TDs in six of nine seasons, the majority of those occurring while he was in Chicago. He was erratic even in the 2006 Super Bowl season, a season in which the Bears' defense was dominant.

I don't think Grossman ever saw a deep ball opportunity he didn't like, hence the moniker.
Rex is too sexy for his arm. :lol:

Funny that Chicago goes from one erratic gunslinger to another in Cutler. The only difference is that Cutler is a punk like his idol, Justin Bieber. Tell me if those two don't look and act alike.
"George W. Bush did more damage to America than Osama Bin Laden." - Sam Zakhem (former Ambassador for Reagan)
- led to the rise of BO and the Democratic party
- terrorism persists
- debt (see first dash)
- loss of freedoms (see first dash)
S4F4M
True Gator

Postby mtn2top » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:37 pm

He's never been afraid to squeeze a ball into a small space. The law of averages didn't work out for him, especially in the NFL.

I always think of the Heisman he should have won while at UF. He just happened to play his last years in the SOS transition.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby SavannahGator » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 pm

UFGatorD wrote:I have always been a Rex fan. I have every game from 2001 on tape and that season was so much fun to watch, especially the LSU game. I dont think UF has ever trashed LSU so bad in Baton Rouge before and definitely not since. That was SOS's last year and (yes, i know a lot of if's) if it wasnt for 9/11 we would have beat Tennessee and played in the NC game. Ole Darnell Dockett took out Earnest Graham and we lost to UT in OT going for 2.

Syracuse OB victory was at end of 1998 season. "Dougie" Johnson was our QB in that win (I believe 31-10) over the 'Cuse's Donovan McNabb.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Double Gator Dad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 am

Does anyone know why Rex has not been more successful in the NFL?

I believe he is the most talented QB Spurrier had at UF and I thought he would be a really good NFL QB. I heard that he has a poor work ethic but not sure this is true.

Anybody have any insight?
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Postby jand3k » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 pm

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! I have said this very thing ever since the year of that game. UT was pretty banged up in September and UF was on a 2 game roll and looking awesome! At the time of the actual game, UF was banged up and UT was looking awesome.

I hate that 9/11 happened for so many reasons but the UF loss is just another, very personal, reason that I hate that trajedy.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:02 pm

He gets ripped here in DC also! But, Shannahan just signed him to another 1 year contract. He'll end up w 11, 12 NFL seasons. Not too bad, regardless his TD/INT ratio....
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:Does anyone know why Rex has not been more successful in the NFL?

I believe he is the most talented QB Spurrier had at UF and I thought he would be a really good NFL QB. I heard that he has a poor work ethic but not sure this is true.

Because he makes a lot of bad decisions with the football.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 pm

-THE DUDE- wrote:
Double Gator Dad wrote:Does anyone know why Rex has not been more successful in the NFL?

Because he threw more picks than TDs.
Because he doesn't move around the pocket well.
Because he got a ton of passes deflected.
Because when he wasn't getting passes deflected, he was fumbling the ball away.
Because despite all of the above, he still preferred to throw the ball 25 yards downfield.
And when he did, it usually led to another pick.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 am

Class of '78 wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:

Because despite all of the above, he still preferred to throw the ball 25 yards downfield.

:lol:
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 am

-THE DUDE- wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:

:lol: :lol:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby jand3k » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

WobbleGator wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm

One o my favorite moments with Gator-Rex : forget the game, but
Rex in shotgun had the hard snap ricochet off his hands, bounce on
ground like a basketball dribble, whereupon Rex grabs it and in perfect
timed motion fired a 12 yard TD pass, cool as a cucumber.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm

-THE DUDE- wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:

/thread :lol:
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum