Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackLabGator, MSNbot Media, rogdochar and 17 guests

Gators made a tourney run in '87 ?!

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Gators made a tourney run in '87 ?!

Postby digitalwangsta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I was not aware. . .I was old enough to understand basketball by the time Lon Kruger brought the team to the Final Four in '94. Totally missed that we had made a prior run. I found that interesting
digitalwangsta
True Gator

Re: Gators made a tourney run in '87 ?!

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Remember it well. Our first NCAA appearance, thanks to Norm Sloan. Led by Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell and Dwayne "The Mullet" Schintzius, we won the first two and then lost to Boeheim's Syracuse Orange. One of Coach Sloan's best efforts at UF.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Kilzyo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Andrew Moten
Kilzyo
True Gator

Postby SC Gator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 pm

I was in school that year. Great run lost to Syracuse and Ronnie Siekly. Rumor was even if we won, Maxwell tested positive for pot and would not have played in the rest of the tournament.
In all kinds of weather.
SC Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Circle City Gator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm

I don't remember who we were playing, but I remember Mad Max making the game winner from NBA range, cool as a mountain stream. For those who never saw him play, the guy was AMAZING.
Circle City Gator
Senior Gator

Postby WhoGator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 pm

A bit of irony... Read somewhere today that Florida Gulf Coast is the first team to win two games in their first-ever tournament appearance since the Florida Gators in 1987.
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am

Class of '78 wrote:Remember it well. Our first NCAA appearance, thanks to Norm Sloan. Led by Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell and Dwayne "The Mullet" Schintzius, we won the first two and then lost to Boeheim's Syracuse Orange. One of Coach Sloan's best efforts at UF.

I remember coming home from work to catch the end of the win over NC State on ESPN. It was quite a thrill. I didn't know about being the first first-time tourney team to win 2 games in the tourney. That's some coincidence.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Swamp Queen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 am

I was 8.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:56 am

Whipped Valvano's crooked ass in round one, and Keady's crying ass with Purdue in round two. SU ended up beating top seed UNC to get to the FInal Four then lost on the famous Smart shot in the final to IU.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Slevin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 am

Swamp Queen wrote:I was 8.

:eek:
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby mtn2top » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 am

It was all so surreal at the time. I've followed Gators basketball since the sixties, both of Sloan's runs. I believe that most people in Gainesville knew the roof was going to fall in on us. There were more than rumors swirling around Stormin' Norman, Vernon especially, and the team for most of the season.

The Gator hoops program seemed to go on steroids with that class and shifted to another level. We've had great players in the past, but not with the entire supporting cast. The M & M show was truly something special. Moten will still have the all-time points record when this season and class is done.

The sad part is - we could have been legit. But Maxwell had been out of control since the beginning. Sloan seemed to care more about winning than compliance and discipline at that point. The league and rival schools turned the heat up when we started winning and there were violations to find.

Norm Sloan was a truly great person and brilliant basketball coach, who gave so much of himself to this program over his two runs here. The game evolved a lot during his tenure. The NCAA scrutiny became much more intense. That's when the NCAA Tourney started being widely televised and the popularity of the college game just exploded. The rule-breaking/bending that was routine just a few years before was no longer tolerated.

It's a part of Gators hoops history that should be remembered to appreciate where we are today and how we got here. I hope with time and perspective, that group of players get all of the accolades they deserve for what they accomplished. It was truly remarkable.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 am

Shut. Up.
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 am

mtn2top wrote:It was all so surreal at the time. I've followed Gators basketball since the sixties, both of Sloan's runs. I believe that most people in Gainesville knew the roof was going to fall in on us. There were more than rumors swirling around Stormin' Norman, Vernon especially, and the team for most of the season.

Lol, was it ever out of control, Maxwell admitting to accepting money and doing blow before one of the tournament games that season. And the really sad and strange thing was, it was in such contrast to the throwback, standup image Sloan carried about him.

I'll never forget my first UF basketball assignment, covering the team on a trip to Ole Miss in '81 (flying UF's Blue Goose, the cars on the interstate below seemingly passing us, we were going so slow). In those days, the media sat with the players at meals. At breakfast the next morning, there was Sloan, going to every table to make sure everyone had orange juice and yelling at the restaurant staff if they didn't. The guy was a huge father figure.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 am

I was 3.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 am

WobbleGator wrote:

I was 3.

I was neither.
I was already a Gator.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby gatorpe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am

I was 32 and remember that run well. Someone popped off about Syracuse and Seikaly made us pay for it. That was a very good Fla team. Cannot remember the bigs for some reason but the guard play was amazing.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 am

gatorpe wrote:I was 32 and remember that run well. Someone popped off about Syracuse and Seikaly made us pay for it. That was a very good Fla team. Cannot remember the bigs for some reason but the guard play was amazing.

That was Dwayne Schintzius and Livingston Chatman, among others... After a stellar freshman year, Chatman would have been one of the best Gators ever if not for a knee, I believe it was. He battled back after surgery and was still very respectable.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WestBocaGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 am

If you go back and watch the tape - you will find that we should have actually won the game against Syracuse. Even though Ronnie Seikaly outplayed Schintzius - our guards (Moten & Maxwell) had us in a position to win the game - however - a couple of bad calls by the refs in the last few minutes killed us.

Of course Syracuse went on to play and lose to Indiana in the championship game.

No matter what happened with Maxwell off the court - I will always appreciate him as a Gator Hoops player. IMO - he's the best we've ever had. He and the rest of the guys on that team gave me the desire to become a walk-on for the 88-89 team that won the school's first regular season SEC Championship.
“Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals.”
James Naismith
WestBocaGator
Baby Gator

Postby gatorpe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am

WhoGator wrote:
gatorpe wrote:I was 32 and remember that run well. Someone popped off about Syracuse and Seikaly made us pay for it. That was a very good Fla team. Cannot remember the bigs for some reason but the guard play was amazing.

That was Dwayne Schintzius and Livingston Chatman, among others... After a stellar freshman year, Chatman would have been one of the best Gators ever if not for a knee, I believe it was. He battled back after surgery and was still very respectable.

Thanks, Chatman was going to be a star. I think he was the tourny MVP his soph or fresh year in some big begin the year tournament. His knees were awful. Too bad. Was Dewayne Davis there too.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

WhoGator wrote:

I tried to double check this, because I am wrong a lot, but Chatman's Freshman year was Fall of 87 (same year I arrived at UF). So he did not play in March Madness in 87. I don't even recognize any of the other bigs(other than the mullet) on the roster for 86-87. Dwayne Davis came later.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum