Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, soflagator, t-gator and 47 guests

Patric Young

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Patric Young

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am

Normally, a player of Young's pedigree shows a lot of progress from his sophomore to junior seasons. Not in this case. Young's numbers are down or flatlined in many categories, and alarmingly down in free-throw percentage.

PATRIC YOUNG STATS

And so you ask why. Some interesting insight on Young before the season began. This is going to sound familiar to many of you.

At first glance, it is easy to see why Young has been an NBA prospect since he was a teenager. Standing 6'9 with an excellent 249-pound frame and a long 7'1 wingspan, Young has looked the part of an NBA big man for quite some time. He also possesses an elite athletic profile, equipped with freakish explosiveness around the basket and excellent lateral quickness, and showing outstanding speed in transition.

But.

Young does an excellent job of carving out space in the post, controlling entry passes, and finishing around the rim. The problem is that his footwork is not particularly advanced and he has only a few reliable post moves, primarily his jump hook, which he can launch with his right and left hands, and various combinations of spin moves and up-and-unders.

And.

Despite his proficiency in the post, however, Young struggles with bouts of passivity, represented in the 12 games in which he attempted five or fewer shots. Another alarming trend is his extremely low 3.7 free throw attempts per 40 minutes pace adjusted; this is an improvement from 2.3 attempts per 40 minutes pace adjusted from his freshman year, but nevertheless rates him just outside of the bottom 10% of prospects in our top-100 rankings.

DRAFT EXPRESS

You can argue all you want that guard play will take us deep in the Tournament, but unless Young plays up to his ability, we're likely not going very far.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Re: Patric Young

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am

We don't need no inside game. I say we keep jacking 3's. Maybe practice some half court shots, so if we miss, we will be in our half court defense that much quicker.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 am

You misspelled paper tiger.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 am

For anyone who thinks PY is NBA material this is evidence he isn't ready. His only shot is that baby hook and he still hits a low percentage of those. I agree with 78, this team will only go as far as PY takes them.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby CivilGator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

WobbleGator wrote:We don't need no inside game. I say we keep jacking 3's. Maybe practice some half court shots, so if we miss, we will be in our half court defense that much quicker.

This is sage advice.
CivilGator
True Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 am

I've been of this mindset all year. We will go only as far as PY takes us. When he plays with a lot of energy, blocks, rebounds....we win games. It's completely cliche, but when you have to gaurd him inside, especially double, it opens up some threes.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby ATXGator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am

With Patric's physical ability he should be dominating at the college level.

When he plays with passion he is very good, especially defensively and that is key for us. I hope he plays that way in the tourney, with passion and motivation.

I don't see him as an NBA guy, he just doesn't have the offensive skills, the only benefit I possibly see is maybe he stays one more year..., but I doubt it.
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am

We're really a small team when you think about it. Add to that that our biggest guy, Murphy, plays away from the rim and that our second-biggest guy, Young, is prone to disappearing for stretches.

How is it that we've won this many games? As Maillot points out, efficiency, esp on the defensive end. Donovan deserves a lot more credit than he's gotten for the job he's done this season, SEC Coach of the Year notwithstanding.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby crosscreekcooter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 am

MatthewM. wrote:You misspelled paper tiger.

should this be hyphenated?
crosscreekcooter
Head Ball Coach

Postby GR8R_G8R » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 am

There is just NO WAY Patric should even think about the NBA right now. If he is to have any chance of making it at the NBA level, he needs to stay at UF for his senior year.
GR8R_G8R
Freshman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 pm

crosscreekcooter wrote:
MatthewM. wrote:You misspelled paper tiger.

should this be hyphenated?

No-it-should-not. :D
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Trung » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Well, he would get off more shots if the guards would get him the ball in the post. There were so many mismatch switches in the ole miss game and the guards still wouldn't throw the ball in the post.
Trung
Redshirt Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm

I for one couldn't give two sh*ts if he's a good NBA prospect. I just need him to be a great basketball player for the next six games.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby buck16 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Young is incosistent but he is not the problem with this team. Play at the point has been awful down the stretch. It appears they are afraid to run a pic-and-roll to the basket. The point guard just dribbles until the shot clock runs down and he then drives to the basket or stop and shoot a three. When this happens , the rest of the team just stands and watch.

When he drives to the basket, he appears to be looking for the contact and not about making the basket.

Finally, when he does draw a foul, he ust make at least on of the free throws.

I know Young is a popular person to place blame but our offense is not predicated on Young scoring a lot of points. How many games this year has he scored 20 or more points?

If they stop stalling and continue with the inside-out action we will be okay. I know we should use the clock when we are leading late but that should not matter.

As far as Young being ready for the NBA, he probable is ready and he will be a first round pick.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm

buck16 wrote:As far as Young being ready for the NBA, he probable is ready and he will be a first round pick.

WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:47 pm

That's Michael Jordan, five-time MVP, nine-time scoring champ, six-time NBA champion, two-time Olympian, former Chicago Bull.

Just wanted to be sure you knew that.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Sorry everyone for getting '78 started on Jordan again.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Class of '78 wrote:That's Michael Jordan, five-time MVP, nine-time scoring champ, six-time NBA champion, two-time Olympian, former Chicago Bull.

Who's Michael Jordan?
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:That's Michael Jordan, five-time MVP, nine-time scoring champ, six-time NBA champion, two-time Olympian, former Chicago Bull.

Who's Michael Jordan?

Not related to the Middle East nation.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Class of '78 wrote:
Sasquatch Gator wrote:

Who's Michael Jordan?

Not related to the Middle East nation.

Yeah, I know that. That's Chad Jordan.
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum