Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 15 guests

Matt Jones ready to step up ?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Matt Jones ready to step up ?

Postby Gator Fever » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm

http://espn.go.com/colleges/florida/football/story/_/id/9053087/will-muschamp-content-florida-gators-running-backs

Matt Jones ready to step up looking at Muschamp's comments ?

I wonder if he could come close to being another Richardson style runner with that build he has now. That would be real nice if he can.

"We've got three guys that I'm excited about seeing," Muschamp said. "It's Mack's turn to step up and be a guy that can do all the things we need to do from the position. But Matt Jones again, really challenged him in the offseason to be a guy that needs to be able to carry the ball 25 times in a game and understand that role and embrace that role. And again, Kelvin's [the equivalent of] a high school senior right now, and I've been very proud in what he's done. He's come out here and worked."

If Jones remains the starter -- and it's likely he will -- his workload will be in the 20-25 carry range in the fall, but Brown, Taylor and July enrollee Adam Lane will get work as well.

"I want one guy to be able to carry the load," offensive coordinator Brent Pease said. "That's tough to do with the number of plays you want to run. Other guys are going to get reps and be able to be productive. I mean, Mike was a 1,000-yard rusher but you saw Matt come on and Mack do a few things here and there."
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Re: Matt Jones ready to step up ?

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Lol I knew someone would bring up Richardson more or less because of the looks(dreads)

There has been plenty of running backs the same size, but I think your right with that build he could be really good
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Yep hopefully he will plow some defenders this year.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 pm

just having major competition at all positions is huge.

RB...WR really important

I'm concerned with QB and lack of backup
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm

I'd really like to see us use our RBs the way Bama, LSU, and UGA do...or at least have the capability to; basically have enough confidence in - at least - 2 RB's to rotate them regularly and each have a similar number of carries per game...w/ 1 being the clear #1, however.

Jones & Brown seem to have the ability. And Taylor & Lane should provide good depth. Does anyone think either Taylor or Lane will redshirt?

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby NavetG8r » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:41 pm

BMF wrote:I'd really like to see us use our RBs the way Bama, LSU, and UGA do...or at least have the capability to; basically have enough confidence in - at least - 2 RB's to rotate them regularly and each have a similar number of carries per game...w/ 1 being the clear #1, however.

Jones & Brown seem to have the ability. And Taylor & Lane should provide good depth. Does anyone think either Taylor or Lane will redshirt?

---

With Lane not arriving until July, he's the likely candidate I'd think.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 pm

"The 6-foot-2, 226-pound Jones, Gillislee's top backup last season, really came on toward the end of 2012 after a chat in which Muschamp told him to stop dancing around in the backfield and hit the hole"

Good advice.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Gatorphan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Okeechobee Joe wrote:"The 6-foot-2, 226-pound Jones, Gillislee's top backup last season, really came on toward the end of 2012 after a chat in which Muschamp told him to stop dancing around in the backfield and hit the hole"

Good advice.

Muschamp has way words ;)
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Gatorphan
Heisman Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 am

Jones and Brown had better **** or get off the pot because Taylor will be pressuring them for PT from the start.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby sundaysunday » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 am

gardnerwebbalumnigator wrote:Jones and Brown had better **** or get off the pot because Taylor will be pressuring them for PT from the start.

Matt Jones played very well last season as a true freshman. Your statement implies that he is simply taking up space and that is certainly not the case. Now Brown I'm not quite sold on as he has not done much in his tenure. Also although I have very high hopes for Taylor let's not anoint him the best thing since sliced bread just yet. I personally expect Jones to be the man next year with the remaining RBs filling in when needed.

Lastly, why doesn't anyone seem to be excited about Adam Lane (perhaps because he isn't on campus)? I'm certainly not a talent scout but from what I have seen of him he looks like a real beast and is built like a fire hydrant. I'm very excited to see what he can do.

Go Gators...
sundaysunday
Freshman Gator

Postby G8RNGA » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:41 am

ReelGatorDoc wrote:just having major competition at all positions is huge.

RB...WR really important

I'm concerned with QB and lack of backup

^This. I'm watching the OL and the QB play right now. I'm excited that we seem to have a stronger backfield.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorTAG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 am

sundaysunday wrote:
gardnerwebbalumnigator wrote:Jones and Brown had better **** or get off the pot because Taylor will be pressuring them for PT from the start.

Matt Jones played very well last season as a true freshman. Your statement implies that he is simply taking up space and that is certainly not the case. Now Brown I'm not quite sold on as he has not done much in his tenure. Also although I have very high hopes for Taylor let's not anoint him the best thing since sliced bread just yet. I personally expect Jones to be the man next year with the remaining RBs filling in when needed.

Lastly, why doesn't anyone seem to be excited about Adam Lane (perhaps because he isn't on campus)? I'm certainly not a talent scout but from what I have seen of him he looks like a real beast and is built like a fire hydrant. I'm very excited to see what he can do.

Go Gators...

^ Lane is our Ray Rice, MJD. I think he's going to come in with a real chip on his shoulders about being the forgotten man.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby NavetG8r » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:03 am

sundaysunday wrote:

Go Gators...

I'm very much looking forward to getting Lane on campus. I only said IF we RS one of them, he's the most likely candidate because he won't have had the time in the system as the others.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 am

I think Jones showed he was ready to step up in the FSU game.

Lane was a great get for us this recruiting cycle. He is way better than his three star ranking makes him out to be. If not for breaking his leg I think he s ranked higher. I look for him and Taylor to be a dynamic pair.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby NoVa Gator » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm

If Matt Jones starts this coming year, then I think he will leave a year early. That is all.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 pm

NoVa Gator wrote:If Matt Jones starts this coming year, then I think he will leave a year early. That is all.

"....will....leave.....early”.

OK, got it. :neutral:
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby Gators79 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Brown is a redshirt Jr. Seems like he has been on the team for 7 years.
Gators79
Heisman Gator

Postby sundaysunday » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

I think Mac Brown graduated from high school in 1998. :)
sundaysunday
Freshman Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Gators79 wrote:Brown is a redshirt Jr. Seems like he has been on the team for 7 years.

And hasn't done anything. Main reason no way in hell does Taylor RS. Ain't happening.
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am

sundaysunday wrote:

Go Gators...

This is what everyone was saying last year about Hines moving to RB and how happy theywere to have a guy his size in the backfield. How'd that work out?

Not saying Lane won't be good, but looks aren't everything. Ask Patric Young about that.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum