Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alcube, BNAG8R, Google [Bot], Hoosier Gator, Mwoody, Scott512, WobbleGator and 37 guests

What Happened?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

What Happened?

Postby Dugaboy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Can anyone explain what happened in Lexington?
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Re: What Happened?

Postby NoVa Gator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah, we are not that good of a bball team. That is why are kept on sliding down in ranking even after a win. A more reasonable goal now is the SEC tournament and not the NCAA tourney.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Mus_champ11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:57 pm

we did not score the last 7 plus minutes. At that time we had a 7 point lead.
Last edited by Mus_champ11 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mus_champ11
All-American Gator

Postby GatorsGetGoodAgain » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Im really hoping that the 2 big men transfers are really good...or just better than Young. And the 2 freshmen coming in plus Frazier replacing Rosario and Boynton will be nice too. Hopefully Yeguette can have a fully healthy season. I actually have really high hopes next year. This year....no expectation for the first time all year. If they don't win another game all year I will not be surprised one iota.
GatorsGetGoodAgain
Heisman Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Always love what the cat drags in after a loss. :rolleyes:
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:16 pm

You don't close out the last 7:30 minutes without major suckage.

We peaked too soon this year.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Mus_champ11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:18 pm

GatorsGetGoodAgain wrote:Im really hoping that the 2 big men transfers are really good...or just better than Young. And the 2 freshmen coming in plus Frazier replacing Rosario and Boynton will be nice too. Hopefully Yeguette can have a fully healthy season. I actually have really high hopes next year. This year....no expectation for the first time all year. If they don't win another game all year I will not be surprised one iota.

I know Chris Walker is a big power forward. I did not know we had another
big player coming. Can you find their names?
Young needs another power guy playing next to him this year.
Mus_champ11
All-American Gator

Postby lagator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:Always love what the cat drags in after a loss. :rolleyes:

I wish you hadn't used a cat analogy in this case. How about "Always love how the rats come to the surface when the ship starts to sink"?
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:24 pm

lagator wrote:
Sasquatch Gator wrote:Always love what the cat drags in after a loss. :rolleyes:

I wish you hadn't used a cat analogy in this case. How about "Always love how the rats come to the surface when the ship starts to sink"?

Good point. :lol:

I've also said it plenty this year, there are exactly zero true road games left. We'll be fine.
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby CapitalGator02 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:25 pm

I too will support the Gators under pretty much any circumstance, but you have to admit, this team has some serious flaws:

-We rely too heavily on the three
-Can't hit free throws
-Can't close out games

None of these issues have been addressed the entire season and all three played a major role in today's loss. Issue #3 is actually easily correctable though, don't let Boynton shoot the ball within 5 minutes of a half.
CapitalGator02
Head Ball Coach

Postby heversle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Mus_champ11 wrote:
GatorsGetGoodAgain wrote:Im really hoping that the 2 big men transfers are really good...or just better than Young. And the 2 freshmen coming in plus Frazier replacing Rosario and Boynton will be nice too. Hopefully Yeguette can have a fully healthy season. I actually have really high hopes next year. This year....no expectation for the first time all year. If they don't win another game all year I will not be surprised one iota.

The point guard Kasey Hill is the other big name. We should have a better team next year (at least from a talent perspective), but I wouldn't be surprised if both kids are one and done. I hope Young returns to polish up his game though.
Last edited by heversle on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 pm

CapitalGator02 wrote:

I too will support the Gators under pretty much any circumstance, but you have to admit, this team has some serious flaws:

-We rely too heavily on the three
-Can't hit free throws
-Can't close out games

None of these issues have been addressed the entire season and all three played a major role in today's loss. Issue #3 is actually easily correctable though, don't let Boynton shoot the ball within 5 minutes of a half.

We've shot far fewer threes than normal since the Missouri game, and the free throw shooting has improved a TON the last few games, as well. Hell, we won the Bama game mainly because of free throws. Closing out games is an issue, I'll agree on that.
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby guardian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:37 pm

We failed to pound the ball inside with Cauly-Stein playing with 4 fouls.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Postby SurfGator7 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Well, for one thing Kentucky outhustled the Gators and forced turnovers. Their big man put some defensive pressure on Young and Young couldn't deal with it and missed shots. KB made several inside drives during the game but missed the wide open shot down the stretch when we had to have it. Rosario turned it over several times either by bad passes or getting stripped by KY. Wilbekin is okay sometimes but just not consistently a play maker with some determined D in his face, missed that take to the hole at the end taking it in too close to the KY big man. Scotty made a wild pass to Prather when a more touch pass would have done. Prather got too frantic at the end on his attempts. It's really a case of losing poise.Ive seen them do better and they're capable of it, but they didn't this time. They're a tournament team, especially when they're shooting well, but I can't see them as a final four team. imo. Young has to see now that he needs to stay another year and with the transfer bangers and Yeguette and Prather and the "one and done" freshman coming in, that is going to be some solid inside depth. Things look good for the future.
SurfGator7
Baby Gator

Postby NVGator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm

I can't believe people actually use Bama as an example of something good. :lol: We should have never been behind in that game.

As much as folks hate "the cats, the rats" coming out, it's just as painfully horrible to hear the sunshine pumpers.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby lgator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Right now, a few things need to happen for us to even have a chance to get past the first round: Wilbekin needs to realize he's got to calm down and get everyone involved when the game is on the line...throwing these circus shots is just not going to win us game! Rosario needs to stop thinking and reading these articles on himself. He'll only be remembered by his play down the stretch not by what happened 2 weeks ago. Young needs to throw it down when he's around the Basket...Shaq made it to the NBA throwing it down dude! Boynton needs to get back to driving the ball as he did last year...get to the fool line man! Also, Wilbekin needs to stop improvising when things break down...give it to the inside guys if all else fails and let them work the ball back out!

On a good note, Murphy and Prater are the most consistent players now...Maybe they can coach the others a bit!! Lastly, I hope Yguete and Frazier can get back their confidence..These 4 are our best players now.
Last edited by lgator on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgator
True Gator

Postby Kilzyo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:49 pm

SurfGator7 wrote:Well, for one thing Kentucky outhustled the Gators and forced turnovers.

Most of the turnovers I saw were unforced. Rosario likes to hand the other team the F'in ball.
Kilzyo
True Gator

One more thing...this team has a deer in the headlights look towards the end of game...you'd think that BD would have figured it by now. Unfortunately, trying too hard is not going to fix it...I think they need to get back to basic BB and stop playing like they are in their backyard...to me, it all comes down to ball movement..they had none today during that 7 minute stretch!
Last edited by lgator on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lgator
True Gator

well 3 posts for 1. :?
Last edited by lgator on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgator
True Gator

Postby guardian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Mus_champ11 wrote:

Damontre Harris, 6'10 transfer from South Carolina sitting out this year, and Dorian Finney-Smith, 6'8 transfer from Va Tech.

Harris has 2 years of eligibility, Finney-Smith 3.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum