Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, gatorJ, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lumagator, Maillot Jaune, MJMGator, MSNbot Media, NoGaGator and 52 guests

This year's team more like 00-01 team

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

This year's team more like 00-01 team

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 am

The 00-01 team was 24-7, 12-4 in the SEC and won a share of the SEC Regular Season Title. That team was a running and gunning kind of team that featured Udonis Haslem down low, Brent Wright and Major Parker were the hard nosed forwards, Justin Hamilton was the PG, Brett Nelson and Teddy Dupay were the SGs, and Matt Bonner had a real nice soph year coming into his own developing under Billy D. We were torching and DESTROYING teams until Justin Hamilton blew out his knee against UGA in our 3rd SEC game and started off 1-3 in the SEC but rebounded to go 12-4 in the conference. Brett Nelson had an unbelievable soph year and was named CO-SEC Player of the Year along with UK's Tayshaun Prince. UD was a force down low and Brent Wright was actually considered a 2nd round NBA pick before he blew out his foot TWICE that year. Dupay would miss a bunch of games that year with an injured back. We were so injured that year that we had WALK ON David Kliewer playing minutes along with freshman Orien Greene and Bonell Colas. We were so wore out from putting everything into the SEC grind that we lost to a hot shooting Temple team in the NCAA Tourney.

I like our team this year and think we can go to the Elite 8 again IF we get in a favorable bracket AND our injured guys get healthy again. Yugette, Prather, Murphy, and now Frazier have missed time this year. Murphy has also played with broken ribs and Scottie Wilbekin has played numerous games with a broken finger or two. We have alot of guys that can score different ways or can do different things on the floor so we are hard to match up with and its no surprise we have DESTROYED teams with the great defense we have played essentially all year long. We haven't WON 22 games by accident or by luck that's for sure. Patric Young can score down low WHEN he wants to be assertive. Murphy can score inside and out. All of our guards can drive and shoot the 3 ball. Prather has been an X-Factor all year long when on the floor and can do pretty much everything with his hustle. Yugette does alot of dirty work down low and hopefully he can come back and give us that again in the tourney cause he is really hard to match up against because of his strength and energy. Frazier can really stretch defenses cause he can really shoot 3s.

We have the potential to go deep in the tourneys but it all depends on how we finish down the stretch here and IF our guys can come back from ALL the injuries we have had. Hopefully Boyton can heat up again in March like he has the past 2 years. Anything can happen in March where a bad shooting night in March can end your season just like it did in 2001. We have a very experienced group of guys and one of the best coaches in the NCAA in Billy D. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Re: This year's team more like 00-01 team

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:36 am

Man, I miss Hamilton. His lock down Defense was unreal. I always thought he'd make it in the League just on Defense. Man, was I wrong.

What ever happened to him?

I also liked Brent Wright and his energy.

Damn, I wish they would have made it.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby CivilGator » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am

NVGator wrote:Man, I miss Hamilton. His lock down Defense was unreal. I always thought he'd make it in the League just on Defense. Man, was I wrong.

What ever happened to him?

I also liked Brent Wright and his energy.

Damn, I wish they would have made it.

According to wiki, he is playing in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Hamilton_%28basketball,_born_1980%29
CivilGator
Senior Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am

That team was pretty much the same as the one that went to the championship game a year earlier, fueled by a pressing defense and a deep bench. And, yes, I tend to think it's the best comparison to this year's team.

Dupay was the emotional leader of that team and an adept ballhandler, not to mention a good shot from outside. Wilbekin doesn't have Teddy's shot, but he's the only guy I wanna see bring the ball upcourt. He's quick, instinctive and intelligent. Everyone else in the backcourt makes me cringe when it comes to decisionmaking.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Class of '78 wrote:That team was pretty much the same as the one that went to the championship game a year earlier, fueled by a pressing defense and a deep bench. And, yes, I tend to think it's the best comparison to this year's team.

Dupay was the emotional leader of that team and an adept ballhandler, not to mention a good shot from outside. Wilbekin doesn't have Teddy's shot, but he's the only guy I wanna see bring the ball upcourt. He's quick, instinctive and intelligent. Everyone else in the backcourt makes me cringe when it comes to decisionmaking.

Nice analysis.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Winning and losing is so fragile especially in March because if you lose then its all over with and your season is done. The following year in Haslem's senior year we ran into a hot shooting Creighton team and lost in double overtime when Creighton had a guy get hot and hit 8 3 pointers in the 2nd half and OTs. It didn't matter where he was on the floor and that he was guarded tightly, he was making EVERYTHING and we lost the game. Hey it happens. Lets hope this year we can make a huge run again. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 pm

It will be great help if we can have our full team at its regular
unhampered (uninjured) full strength . Prather will have grown into
his peak via playing for Yeguete. Frazier will be our Humphries-type
shooter.

If team seriously feeds Patric inside, while Yeguete/Prather/?Murphy
come for the backside put-backs ... and drawing foul-shots, we'll fly.
Boynton, Rosario, Scottie need to fake the 3 and drive off that more
frequently than in our past. Of course, the "hot-hand" guys can take
clear-set 3s.

This team can develop into a more balanced attacking offense and
keep its characteristic top defensive efficiency. Now that's a keeper
in March Madness play.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Ancient Reptile » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 am

Jbossgator9 wrote:Winning and losing is so fragile especially in March because if you lose then its all over with and your season is done. The following year in Haslem's senior year we ran into a hot shooting Creighton team and lost in double overtime when Creighton had a guy get hot and hit 8 3 pointers in the 2nd half and OTs. It didn't matter where he was on the floor and that he was guarded tightly, he was making EVERYTHING and we lost the game. Hey it happens. Lets hope this year we can make a huge run again. Go Gators!!

I should have congratulated you on your OP. Nice job.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

I think this team is like the 12-13 team.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum