Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 54 guests

Daytona - NASCAR

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Daytona - NASCAR

Postby NVGator » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Anyone catch the crash at Daytona today? Anyone want to still go to a race as a spectator?

Hell, I remember just a few weeks ago where folks were calling out an XGame competitor who died doing what he loved.

17 injured just watching a race.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Re: Daytona - NASCAR

Postby Gouryella » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Turned on ESPN just as it happened. You never want to see that stuff occur. The engine went through the mess but I bet it was the tire that did the most damage to someone. One person has life-threatening head trauma. That was probably the tire in row 9.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby RowdyReptile » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Keeping Gators in the loop
Paradox: The government wants every citizen to prove that they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens
RowdyReptile
Heisman Gator

Postby No1GatorFreak » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 am

I was there and it happened about 200 ft from me. It was scary for all of the people in that area. Leaving the race it was really surreal because it was as if we were all leaving from a funeral. EVERYONE was very quiet and walking toward their vehicles or going to gift shops and you didn't hear any music coming from cars or peoples tents nor did you see anyone smile. Was an incredible race and one of the best I've been to yet, but the ending really put a damper on the race. Prayers go out to those fans who were injured. With that said, I will be there tomorrow in Roberts tower watching the race. This is something NASCAR will have to address very soon if they expect to see people in the stands. It's a great sport and they will do something about this I'm sure.
No1GatorFreak
Baby Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am

WoW. Thanks Freak and glad you made it out safely.

Be safe tomorrow.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby FunnGun » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:25 am

FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby phideltgator » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 am

Chain link fence is plenty strong enough to stop a car going 200 mph. These people are morons. Had my fill of racing in Sebring, you can have it.
phideltgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:12 am

Lounge material?
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 am

No1GatorFreak wrote:I was there and it happened about 200 ft from me. It was scary for all of the people in that area. Leaving the race it was really surreal because it was as if we were all leaving from a funeral. EVERYONE was very quiet and walking toward their vehicles or going to gift shops and you didn't hear any music coming from cars or peoples tents nor did you see anyone smile. Was an incredible race and one of the best I've been to yet, but the ending really put a damper on the race. Prayers go out to those fans who were injured. With that said, I will be there tomorrow in Roberts tower watching the race. This is something NASCAR will have to address very soon if they expect to see people in the stands. It's a great sport and they will do something about this I'm sure.

Damn, glad you're safe! Enjoy the race today!
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am

With all the advancements in driver safety, emblematic by this scene, the driver, incredibly, walking away safely ...

... it really is amazing that in 2013 the fans are still protected from 200-mph projectiles by a simple 22-foot chainlink fence. That's likely to change dramatically after yesterday.

An eyewitness account:

"Stuff was flying everywhere It was like you was in a war zone or something. Tires were flying by and smoke and everything else.

"When I say war zone, there was smoke from a motor. You've got to realize a motor was sitting in the stands. A wheel -- I don't mean a tire -- a wheel with a hub hanging onto it and debris everywhere ... and smoke and people upset. It was kind of scary.''

LINK

I'll be at the 12 Hours of Sebring in a few weeks. I wonder if they make any changes based on Daytona. There's ample exposure there, too.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Gouryella » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

From an ESPN article:

But from Talladega '87 comes an anecdote so typical of the mindset of NASCAR fans.

While that race was red-flagged, I went down to the crash area to interview witnesses. Right on the front row, right where workmen were replacing the destroyed fencing, sat seven or eight fans in Dale Earnhardt T-shirts. Most of their faces and some of their hands were cut or bleeding. They had refused medical treatment.

"Were you guys sitting right here when it happened?" I asked one.

"Naw," he said. "We were sitting several rows up. The people who were sittin' here, they got scared and left. So we decided to come down here and take their seats for the rest of the race."

"Let me get this straight: You moved even closer to where the worst damage was?"

"Yessir," said another.

My question is that just plain stupid or Darwinism or both?
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby GatoradeNE1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 am

phideltgator wrote:Chain link fence is plenty strong enough to stop a car going 200 mph. These people are morons. Had my fill of racing in Sebring, you can have it.

You went to Sebring. Doesn't that make you a moron too?

That "chain link fence" did "stop a car going 200mph". See the picture with the engine in the fence. The tire that caused the major injury bounced over the fence. Part of the A-arm went with it. It had a safety cable that was designed to prevent it from flying it in the event the tire came free, however that was severed in the wreck.
GatoradeNE1
Heisman Gator

Postby GatoradeNE1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am

Gouryella wrote:From an ESPN article:

But from Talladega '87 comes an anecdote so typical of the mindset of NASCAR fans.

While that race was red-flagged, I went down to the crash area to interview witnesses. Right on the front row, right where workmen were replacing the destroyed fencing, sat seven or eight fans in Dale Earnhardt T-shirts. Most of their faces and some of their hands were cut or bleeding. They had refused medical treatment.

"Were you guys sitting right here when it happened?" I asked one.

"Naw," he said. "We were sitting several rows up. The people who were sittin' here, they got scared and left. So we decided to come down here and take their seats for the rest of the race."

"Let me get this straight: You moved even closer to where the worst damage was?"

"Yessir," said another.

My question is that just plain stupid or Darwinism or both?

If you want to make fun of the injury proneness and rednecks in racing, have at it, just don't do it on a football forum, a sport that has more injuries and more rednecks.
GatoradeNE1
Heisman Gator

Postby gatordad » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 am

I resemble that remark...
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:45 am

GatoradeNE1 wrote:
phideltgator wrote:Chain link fence is plenty strong enough to stop a car going 200 mph. These people are morons. Had my fill of racing in Sebring, you can have it.

That "chain link fence" did "stop a car going 200mph". See the picture with the engine in the fence. The tire that caused the major injury bounced over the fence. Part of the A-arm went with it. It had a safety cable that was designed to prevent it from flying it in the event the tire came free, however that was severed in the wreck.

So you're calling Phi a moron but at the same time defending the fence because it stopped half the car, just not all the pieces? Interesting...
If you want to make fun of the injury proneness and rednecks in racing, have at it, just don't do it on a football forum, a sport that has more injuries and more rednecks.
Just stop dude you're making yourself look like an azz :rolleyes:
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby GatoradeNE1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am

FloridaFanatic22 wrote:
GatoradeNE1 wrote:

So you're calling Phi a moron but at the same time defending the fence because it stopped half the car, just not all the pieces? Interesting...

Nope, I didn't call anyone a moron. I asked if he was one, based on the logic he gave us. Try and keep up; you don't want to look like an azz in a football message board.
GatoradeNE1
Heisman Gator

Postby Gouryella » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 am

Twice now you have made the mistake of calling this a "football message board".

From the Forum page:

Gatorsports Forum
A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am

GatoradeNE1 wrote:
FloridaFanatic22 wrote:
GatoradeNE1 wrote:

Nope, I didn't call anyone a moron. I asked if he was one, based on the logic he gave us. Try and keep up; you don't want to look like an azz in a football message board.

:rolleyes:
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby GatoradeNE1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Gouryella wrote:Twice now you have made the mistake of calling this a "football message board".

From the Forum page:

Gatorsports Forum

True. I made the assumption we were both here because of UF football, and not women's gymnastics. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll let me know.
GatoradeNE1
Heisman Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 pm

GatoradeNE1 wrote:
Gouryella wrote:Twice now you have made the mistake of calling this a "football message board".

From the Forum page:

Gatorsports Forum

True. I made the assumption we were both here because of football, and not women's gymnastics. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll let me know.

I would have guessed you were a UFC guy.
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum