Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BernardodelaPaz, Gator1man, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 40 guests

Is Kenny the next Brett Nelson?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Is Kenny the next Brett Nelson?

Postby WernerIsTentative » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am

I love gator basketball. In fact, I would bet I am one of the few people to love it as much as gator football. Watched and listened to every game possible since 92.

That being said, watching Kenny Boynton this year is breaking my heart. The guy CAN NOT shoot the ball when we need him too. Yes I know the transition from 2guard to point guard is tough but a lot of these shots are the same old shots he used to take and he is just missing them. It really stinks because he has always put forth great effort on offense and defense in his 4 years.

Is this a long Kenny shooting slump (which we have seen before) or is this a mentally ruined basketball player a la Brett Nelson? And is this team getting unlucky or are they just a soft basketball team?
WernerIsTentative
Freshman Gator

Re: Is Kenny the next Brett Nelson?

Postby shelby_county_gator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 am

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but that last shot last night was a disaster. You're only down one - there was zero reason to hoist up a contested (and bad shot) three - ESPECIALLY coming out of a time out. It was a really bad decision.
shelby_county_gator
Redshirt Gator

Postby Looneyg8r » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

shelby_county_gator wrote:I'm not sure I'd go that far, but that last shot last night was a disaster. You're only down one - there was zero reason to hoist up a contested (and bad shot) three - ESPECIALLY coming out of a time out. It was a really bad decision.

KB was quoted as saying he did a "shimmy shake", I believe any time a player utilizes the "shimmy shake", it entitles you to take the shot.

KB has always been an up and down player, and has always had very questionable shot selection. Seems fair to attribute some of this years decline to his learning to be a "pass first" guard.
Looneyg8r
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am

No
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

I remember last year with Erving Walker...it would come down to crunch time, he would over penetrate and lose the ball.

Now he was giving max effort, as Boynton does, but it is a desparation effort.
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby Red D » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah, Kenny's last shot was horrible. Refs were calling any and every foul down the stretch. Dump it into Young, let him initiate contact, draw the foul and get to the line. No need for a desperation 3 like that. Of course, our foul shooting was atrocious. What were they 4-10?
Red D
Senior Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Red D wrote:Yeah, Kenny's last shot was horrible. Refs were calling any and every foul down the stretch. Dump it into Young, let him initiate contact, draw the foul and get to the line. No need for a desperation 3 like that. Of course, our foul shooting was atrocious. What were they 4-10?

No, Patric Young would have shot the ball into the stands trying to make the free throws. Boynton, Rosario, or Wilbekin should have been driving to the hoop (preferably Rosario) and trying to draw a foul.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Boynton has OVER 1900 CAREER points and is in the TOP 5 SCORING LEADERS at UF. I don't think that is by accident. He made a bad decision and took a bad shot. It happens. Lets move on. Kenny has had an outstanding career at UF and should be applauded for his efforts and for staying 4 years at UF.
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby ShowMeLove » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Looneyg8r wrote:KB was quoted as saying he did a "shimmy shake", I believe any time a player utilizes the "shimmy shake", it entitles you to take the shot.

:laugh:
ShowMeLove
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Jbossgator9 wrote:Boynton has OVER 1900 CAREER points and is in the TOP 5 SCORING LEADERS at UF. I don't think that is by accident. He made a bad decision and took a bad shot. It happens. Lets move on. Kenny has had an outstanding career at UF and should be applauded for his efforts and for staying 4 years at UF.

+1000
Kenny is a gamer and wants to win the game for his team.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby lagator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Red D wrote:Yeah, Kenny's last shot was horrible. Refs were calling any and every foul down the stretch. Dump it into Young, let him initiate contact, draw the foul and get to the line. No need for a desperation 3 like that. Of course, our foul shooting was atrocious. What were they 4-10?

Young at the line is absolutely not what we wanted, but it still would have been worlds better than KB chucking up another really ugly 3. When they in-bounded the ball I was screaming at the TV and my family "anything but KB chucking up a 3" and sure enough he randomly throws it up with no chance of making it. Bottom line is despite how many he has made over his career, he has terrible mechanics and will never be anything but a streak shooter. Every game the announcers comment how ugly his shot is.

A lot of it is on BD. There was tons of time and he should have insisted the ball move and we get a good high percentage shot. Basically he should have put a leash on Boynton because anyone could see the shot (and the loss) coming a mile away and still it happened.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby lagator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Jbossgator9 wrote:Boynton has OVER 1900 CAREER points and is in the TOP 5 SCORING LEADERS at UF. I don't think that is by accident. He made a bad decision and took a bad shot. It happens. Lets move on. Kenny has had an outstanding career at UF and should be applauded for his efforts and for staying 4 years at UF.

He's a great Gator and has had a very productive career, but he is not a natural good shooter, at all. And he stayed 4 years because you generally don't leave early to go play in Europe. He definitely doesn't have an NBA skill set.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm

I wasn't in the huddle with Billy D and the players but I'm sure he told them to pass it around and had a play drawn up and it wasn't to take a wild shot. That's kind of a no brainer there. You can't predict what the defense is going to give you either so we got what we got and lost the game. It happens. We can move on or dwell on it and let it ruin the season. We can still win the SEC but we may have to run the table because Bama has an easier schedule than us down the stretch. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:21 pm

KB is always a inconsistent during the season. He seems to heat up in March. Which is fine with me.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 am

Kenny Boynton ain't even the Kenny Boynton anymore.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MatthewM. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:46 am

GatorBart wrote:

+1000

Erving midget was more of a gamer than KB. At least he hit some threes down the stretch or at the buzzer to win a few games. KB is honestly the exact opposite of a gamer. I understand he is trying his hardest but he's just not the best option in those situations.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby WernerIsTentative » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:55 am

I don't understand why a comparison to Brett Nelson who was a good basketball player for us makes you bring out a bunch of career statistics for Kenny Boynton. Brett Nelson is at the top of a lot of stat sheets at florida as well and that has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

This didn't have to do with the last shot. It has to do with a player that is clearly good but gets mentally screwed up to where he cant shoot as well. Nelson averaged 42% as a freshman from 3 then 45 as a sophomore, 39% as a junior and 30% AS A SENIOR.

This is not about the one shot at the end or Kenny boyntons career numbers. This is about a guard losing their shooting touch during their career. It hasn't happened as bad to Kenny Boynton because he was 40% from 3 last year and 33% this year. That is the difference between a good 3 point shooter and a very mediocre one.

He misses more wide open threes than anyone else on our team (although he is still the best at contested threes in my mind.. A LOT like Brett Nelson was). Kenny Boynton is one of my favorite Gators of all time and I'm not saying he's bad. I am saying he seems mind freaked this year when it comes to his shot.
WernerIsTentative
Freshman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:46 pm

KB takes, by far, the leading # of shots while offering the 4th-5th
place accuracy. ?? He needs to adjust around that 25-game
established trend by driving for layups & dish-offs more than those
pop & hope 3s.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorBart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 pm

MatthewM. wrote:
GatorBart wrote:

+1000

Erving midget was more of a gamer than KB. At least he hit some threes down the stretch or at the buzzer to win a few games. KB is honestly the exact opposite of a gamer. I understand he is trying his hardest but he's just not the best option in those situations.

IDK, it's what you believe the definition of 'gamer' is.
IMO, being a 'gamer' has nothing to do with being successful. It is 'an athlete who relishes competition', which I believe Kenny does. He may not be successful at knocking down the game winners, but I believe he really wants to do that for his team to win, thus he is a 'gamer', just not a very good one at the end of games.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby Maillot Jaune » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Werner was a gamer.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum