Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gardnerwebbalumnigator, gatorJ, gatormoe1, Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 43 guests

Tim Tebow or Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Who is the Best Double Threat QB You've Ever Seen"

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Tim Tebow
73%
Cam Newton
7%
Johnny Manziel
17%
OTHER
2%

Total votes : 41

Tim Tebow or Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel?

Postby Alvin York » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

You've seen all three Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks from the SEC. Some of you history buffs could probably remind us of other deserving candidates that could attack the defense equally with the pass or run. One became a beloved and celebrated folk hero in his native state of Florida. Another was a one and done flaming star that came through a cloud of controversy concerning a petty theft and his father's alleged payoffs to a University. That final candidate has become a out of left field football rock star with all the accompanying hoopla.

So which player is #1?

If you would explain the reasons for your choice.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Re: Tim Tebow or Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel?

Postby FunnGun » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 pm

D. Danny Wuerffel
E. Sexy Rexy

I'd take either over all three of those.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Alvin York » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm

FunnGun wrote:D. Danny Wuerffel
E. Sexy Rexy

Danny, Rexy and PEYTON are disqualified. They posed no consistent running threat. This poll is about DUAL THREAT quarterbacks only.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm

It's a 4 year QB Tebow versus 1 year flashes comparison ?
Only Manziel has a chance at matching Tim's contributions.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Alvin York » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

rogdochar wrote:It's a 4 year QB Tebow versus 1 year flashes comparison ?
Only Manziel has a chance at matching Tim's contributions.

That's a good point. Tebow did his magic over four years as apposed to the other one year flash in the pan quarterbacks.

Let's make the poll between the 2012 Manziel, 2010 Newton and Tebow's best year out of the four.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby FunnGun » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Alvin York wrote:
E. Sexy Rexy

Danny, Rexy and PEYTON are disqualified. They posed no consistent running threat. This poll is about DUAL THREAT quarterbacks only.

:lol: I know, just what I would prefer. I'd take a 300/QB plus a 100/back over a single wing, do-everything, QB.

Tebow and Cam were similar skill set guys in similar systems. Manziel is a duel threat guy too but in a traditional system and no where near the same player that Cam and Tim were. The contrasting styles make for a hard comparison of the three. But if you held my feet to the fire and forced the spread down my throat and made me choose, then of course I'm going with Tebow. Cam is the best athlete of the three but his personality and negatives off the field make Tebow the obvious choice at number one.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gouryella » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Right now it is Tebow. I know you amended it for best single season however, I'm taking Tebow. That is my explanation btw.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby guardian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Roger Staubach and Steve Young make these guys seem like boys at KinderCare.
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Postby Tiger28 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 am

Cam and its not even close.

The idea that Tim and Cam have the same skill sets is a myth perpetuated by the football novice or those watching through their Gator glasses. The main difference being their running styles; Tim is a grinding runner, like a fullback. Cam runs like a kick returner who prefers to make people miss. The other obvious difference is arm strength and/or throwing ability. Where Tim is serviceable, Cam has a cannon arm with excellent accuracy. Altogether, Tim is an excellent football player and leader, where Cam is an excellent quarterback.

Th other issue that is widely debatable, but is a factor nontheless is how many times Tim's own number was called (or he called it) verse Cam. Tim was called on A LOT, multiple times in single offensive possesions. According to Gus Malzahn, "designed qb runs" for Cam were only ever called once or twice a game ...which really makes what Cam did and his situational awareness or instincts even more impressive.

If the argument is that Tim just did it for more years, that is just a matter of circumstance and opportunity and not one of skills and ability. A different matter altogether.

The other part of the argument that is kind of funny, is the "Cam's off the field issues and negatives". Its as if no one ever grows up? Everyone here is the same as an adult as they were when they were 18 or 19. If you are talking about 18 or 19 yo Cam, then yes there were issues, no one would deny that. But I think if you talk to anyone at Blinn JUCO or Auburn, be they coaches, teammates or professors, they would tell you that Cam was first class on and off the field who absolutely earned the respect of his teammates. The HC at Blinn JUCO tells of Cam staying over the summer and re-painting, mostly alone, the stadium bleachers. Immature punks don't do that. At the same time, enough can't be said about Tim's maturity and leadership skills at a young age. Needless to say, very remarkable. Point being, people keep referring to Cam's issues etc. as if 18/19 yo Cam was the same guy who won the Heisman, he wasn't. Just like we weren't the same people at 18/19yo who went on to graduate, get a job, marry, raise kids and so on ... people grow up.

Manziel is a differenct character altogether because I dont think he remotely posseses the skill set of either Tim or Cam, in part due to his size. Yet, his "ad-lib" skills are incredible.

I'll apologize in advance for the objective and unbiased perspective since I know I'm going to get shouted down and name called for a lack of blind Tebow support.
Tiger28
Redshirt Gator

Postby Gulfstream » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 am

This guy. After all he did beat out Terry Bradshaw at La. Tech while he was there.

Hey, you want something done right, don't ask me.
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby Alvin York » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Tiger28 wrote:Cam and its not even close.

The idea that Tim and Cam have the same skill sets is a myth perpetuated by the football novice or those watching through their Gator glasses. The main difference being their running styles; Tim is a grinding runner, like a fullback. Cam runs like a kick returner who prefers to make people miss. The other obvious difference is arm strength and/or throwing ability. Where Tim is serviceable, Cam has a cannon arm with excellent accuracy. Altogether, Tim is an excellent football player and leader, where Cam is an excellent quarterback.

Th other issue that is widely debatable, but is a factor nontheless is how many times Tim's own number was called (or he called it) verse Cam. Tim was called on A LOT, multiple times in single offensive possesions. According to Gus Malzahn, "designed qb runs" for Cam were only ever called once or twice a game ...which really makes what Cam did and his situational awareness or instincts even more impressive.

If the argument is that Tim just did it for more years, that is just a matter of circumstance and opportunity and not one of skills and ability. A different matter altogether.

The other part of the argument that is kind of funny, is the "Cam's off the field issues and negatives". Its as if no one ever grows up? Everyone here is the same as an adult as they were when they were 18 or 19. If you are talking about 18 or 19 yo Cam, then yes there were issues, no one would deny that. But I think if you talk to anyone at Blinn JUCO or Auburn, be they coaches, teammates or professors, they would tell you that Cam was first class on and off the field who absolutely earned the respect of his teammates. The HC at Blinn JUCO tells of Cam staying over the summer and re-painting, mostly alone, the stadium bleachers. Immature punks don't do that. At the same time, enough can't be said about Tim's maturity and leadership skills at a young age. Needless to say, very remarkable. Point being, people keep referring to Cam's issues etc. as if 18/19 yo Cam was the same guy who won the Heisman, he wasn't. Just like we weren't the same people at 18/19yo who went on to graduate, get a job, marry, raise kids and so on ... people grow up.

Manziel is a differenct character altogether because I dont think he remotely posseses the skill set of either Tim or Cam, in part due to his size. Yet, his "ad-lib" skills are incredible.

I'll apologize in advance for the objective and unbiased perspective since I know I'm going to get shouted down and name called for a lack of blind Tebow support.

Yes, but Cam Newton's single season NCAA record were shattered by Johnny Manziel while his record rookie NFL season passing yardage was easily surpassed by Andrew Luck.'

All three quarterbacks are neck and neck concerning their passing/running abilities and how their quarterbacking skill sets impacted the success and ranking of their respective team.

That being said I can't remember seeing one player almost single-handedly shoot down a dominating #1 powerhouse team like Johnny Football accomplished against Nick Saban's top ranked Alabama Crimson Tide. Did anyone check out Saban's tortured face as Texas A&M was marching up and down the field? The Alabama Defensive Coordinator was stressed to the max and he looked like a man facing a firing squad. The richly talented and formidable Tide players who would later wipe Notre Dame off the face of the earth were shell shocked and looked like Custer's Fifth Calvary at the Little Big Horn. Remember Manziel blitzed and sank the best coach in college football, the most powerful team in the Southeastern Conference and the team that would finish the year dominating the BCS Championship game all on the sacred grounds of legendary Alabama football, Tuscaloosa. I could hardly believe my eyes as it was happening. Awesome. Amazing.

I don't know what the future holds for Johnny Football. Celebrity seems to be getting the best of him. He may be just a flash in the pan. He does have potential to counter his critics. Munchkin QB's do have a shot in the NFL. Drew Brees is considered a consensus elite quarterback. Seattle's rookie QB, Russel Wilson, had an excellent year. The dual threat "Pistol" quarterbacks, Wilson, Griffin and Kaepernik. made the running threat QB's valid and fun to watch in 2012.

The mobile quarterback is slowly becoming a fixture in the NFL. Even non Pistol QB's like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Big Ben to name a few use their speed and quickness to extend a passing play. Even pocket passer Andrew Luck admitted his favorite moment was running down cornerback Carrie Williams after an interception in the playoff game against eventual Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby Jbossgator9 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm

I'll go with Danny Wuerffel. Didn't you see his 20 yard run for a TD against FSU in the National Title game?!?! What a run that was to extend that lead into the blowout it became! Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm

My vote is for Jeffy Heisman '13 version.

Why isn't he on the list?
Last edited by law98gator on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Seeing as how you're not a Gator and a troll, your ridiculous, nonsensical take isn't surprising.
oxrageous

Postby No1GatorFreak » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Tebows back up for 2 years was a pretty damn good player in his own right but I'll take the starter Timmy and not think twice about it. Tebow considered by many to be the G.O.A.T. (non gators started this up) and that's all that really needs to be said.
No1GatorFreak
Baby Gator

Postby Tiger28 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:26 am

oxrageous wrote:

Seeing as how you're not a Gator and a troll, your ridiculous, nonsensical take isn't surprising.

How am I not a Gator? I was raised in Gainesville, by Gator grads and have a UF degree!?!? And where is my take rediculous or nonsensical. Feel free to disagree, but at least add something to the debate or some facts or anything.
Tiger28
Redshirt Gator

Postby Tiger28 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 am

[/quote]That being said I can't remember seeing one player almost single-handedly shoot down a dominating #1 powerhouse team like Johnny Football accomplished against Nick Saban's top ranked Alabama Crimson Tide. Did anyone check out Saban's tortured face as Texas A&M was marching up and down the field? The Alabama Defensive Coordinator was stressed to the max and he looked like a man facing a firing squad.[/quote]

Did you see the 2010 Iron Bowl? Cam brings Auburn back from a 24-0 deficit to win 28-27. Arguably one of the greatest comebacks in D-1 football history.
Tiger28
Redshirt Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 am

Another worthless Dork thread.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Homer J » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 am

Alvin York wrote:
E. Sexy Rexy

F. Ingle Martin - the triple threat

He can run, pass or punt.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Alvin York » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am

Tiger28 wrote: Did you see the 2010 Iron Bowl? Cam brings Auburn back from a 24-0 deficit to win 28-27. Arguably one of the greatest comebacks in D-1 football history. .

Yes, I saw that Iron Bowl game.

There is a difference, a big difference between Texas A & M's and Auburn's victories against Alabama.

The Auburn victory involved was a die hard rivalry game where anything can happen and did. Alabama was only ranked 11th at the time with a significantly weaker offensive and defensive team than the powerhouse defensive team Manziel faced. Early in the second half with Alabama holding a 24-7 lead Newton launched a deep pass to Zachery down the sideline. Alabama safety Mark Barron came racing over for an easy interception or a big hit on the receiver. What happened. Just like the Denver Bronco safety that blew an easy take away from the Joe Flacco Hail Mary pass Barron misplayed the ball. Bang!. Just like that it was a 10 point game with Auburn back in it. Thanks to Alabama fumbles and wide open Auburn receivers the War Eagles squeaked out a close win against an overrated and imploding Crimson Tide.

The Texas A&M victory was a horse of a different color. The Aggies were an upstart newbie SEC team in among the giants of the SEC. Unlike Newton Manziel was lighting up Alabama from the get go and the team he was moving up and down the field on was #1 and the best defensive team in the land. Johnny Football's passes were more pinpoint than Newton's and his running more spectacular. The show he put on that day dwarfed Newton's luck aided comeback against rival Alabama.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum