Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, arkygator, BMOC, Gator Fever, GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, soflagator and 61 guests

Calipari Quit on his team

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Calipari Quit on his team

Postby GatorSky » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Did anyone else notice Calipari simply quit coaching and just walk the sideline? He QUIT on his team.

Love this quote/post from Rupp Rafters:

"you people are idiots.

I'd like to see you try and coach these softies like Harrow, Wiltjer, Pothress, and Hood. What an effing JOKE.

Coach Cal is NOT THE PROBLEM. Idiots"

Actually Cal IS the problem - he recruited these "softies" and if you watched the game he QUIT coaching... it was pathetic! Hopefully, in the future, kids will realize the difference between Kentucky and a "CLASS" basketball program before they sign...
"What the hell are you guys doing?" "Puttin' on the foil coach"... "yeah, every game"... "want some?"
GatorSky
Senior Gator

Re: Calipari Quit on his team

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Calamari can call the South Carolina coach for someone to chat with about motivation.

amazing how these guys are handling their multimillion dollar jobs

whinning starts at the top and both of these coaches are whiners

good to have Billy D
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I'd be glad to see more of this type performance from both UK players
and Coach .... whatever will dull the magnet UK/Caliperi have at
pulling in top HS-recruits .

Caliperi's "one-done" fellows can't help UK the next year, err this year.
You reap what you sew. Caliperi is a formidable adversarial coach and
he will shape up this group --- probly not in time to matter this year.
But he'll have to coach'em up next year. And he will.

Hopefully, they get clobbered by Mizzou, Arkansas, and us Gators.
Maybe Muschamp can late-flip some UK BBall recruits at the last
minute.... or any other schools.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 pm

GatorSky, I'd like you to tell me how you know Calipari quit on his team.

Because he texted you? Because you have telepathic power? Because you intercepted the AP story before it was published?

What a dumb post.
Last edited by Class of '78 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 pm

I'll bet a lot of Kentucky fans would trade Calipari for Billy Donovan in a minute.

Pat Dooley had a good column today about Billy D. and how he has made his mark at a football school. http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130216/COLUMNISTS/130219700/-1/news?Title=Donovan-and-Gators-a-perfect-matchDonovan seems to be the opposite of Calipari when it comes to ego. Dooley ends his column with the comment that Billy Donovan is "a regular guy in a regular town." Billy D. accepted the fact that he was a football school in a football conference. He took the job anyway and made the best of it. Consistency, work ethic, doing things the right way -- that's Billy Donovan. Does that sound anything like our present football coach?

And I guess you could say Calipari is in some ways like Urban Meyer. I said "some ways". Calipari comes off more slick than Coach Meyer. What I am getting at here is that Calipari went after the super big names, and look at what it got him, the "one and done" tag. And now it looks like Calipari is having locker room and attitude problems. In short, Coach Cal is losing control of the Kentucky team. Sound familiar? And yes, I think Urban Meyer is a good coach, and a good person, and did great things at Florida U. I am just saying this for comparison, and to make the point, that recruiting all the five star recruits in basketball and football is not going to build a program.

Coach Donovan has some Kentucky roots. He was an assistant to Rick Pitino there for five years. But don't worry. Donovan won't ever leave Gainesville.Donovan has established Florida as a force to be reckoned with in basketball. Just an unbelievable thing he has done here. This is his monument.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 pm

You live by the sword, you die by it. Calipari knows full well what he's into. It's a high stakes strategy of burn-and-turn championships, and there will inevitably be fallout.

But before we start labeling this guy a quitter, a guy who I have no motive to defend, maybe we need to give the benefit of the doubt. He's got plenty more skin in the ballgame ensuring that this plays out well, no matter the outcome, than the appearance of having bailed on all these kids.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Mikhail » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Class of '78 wrote:GatorSky, I'd like you to tell me how you know Calipari quit on his team.

Because he texted you? Because you have telepathic power? Because you intercepted the AP story before it was published?

What a dumb post.

And for reading it and posting twice, what does that make you?
Oh I know....STUPID!
Mikhail
Freshman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Mikhail wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:GatorSky, I'd like you to tell me how you know Calipari quit on his team.

What a dumb post.

And for reading it and posting twice, what does that make you?
Oh I know....STUPID!

I gather you disagree. By the way, didn't you die in '91?
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Well every coach has his methods of motivating his team and Cal has a lot of immature folks on his team. Now sometimes it works out and sometimes not. I expect him to perhaps try to keep at least some players for more than just one year. Constant total team turnover has to be very difficult to do. On another note there is a Junior in chicago who would fit in at UF quite well and he might be a one and done. I wonder if coach is interested???
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I don't buy that Cal has quit on anything. Despise him, yes, but you cannot question his ability. He's one of top 10 coaches in the country and probably the best recruiter. His team just sucks and now he's lost his best player. Love watching the Mildcat faithful in full-blown meltdown though!
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 pm

"Vulcan_Alex" might that junior from Chicago be the "drive-by'"
type we need ? :embarrassed:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 am

Like I said before, all those hot top recruits mean NOTHING if they can't play as a team and play together like our Gators do and have for years and years under Billy D.
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby gatordad3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am

I don't know if he quit,but Cheatapari once acted like winning SEC titles meant nothing to him and his team.
gatordad3
Heisman Gator

Postby TommyGator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 am

Every time I read this thread title, I see:

"Calamari squid on his team"

But that's just me.
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorhar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am

Pat Dooley picked up on it today. I thought it was just me but I texted all my friends Tuesday night I went crazy when Calapari did not put on a tie to come into our building. Don't for a minute think that everything these guys do is not planned to the last degree. My friends told me to chill out. I think when we go to Lexington Billy should wear a sweatsuit. On second thought Billy has too much class for that.
gatorhar
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorJ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 am

TommyGator wrote:Every time I read this thread title, I see:

"Calamari squid on his team"

But that's just me.

:D
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby Alvin York » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:09 am

Well that's just Coach Cal pouting. He's putting on a little act trying to psychologically motivate his downward spiraling team. Calipari is a Prima Donna and not used to playing a helpless idiot on the sidelines watching his great Kentucky team get nuked by mediocre teams like Tennessee.

As far as I'm concerned this man is reaping what he sowed with his one and done strategy and tactics.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 am

As far as I'm concerned this man is reaping what he sowed with his one and done strategy and tactics.

Not that I would ever defend Coach Squid or his One and Done Tactics (I believe it ruins college hoops, but that's in another thread), I think he's happy reaping what he's sown. In 4 years, the John Wall team was Elite Eight, the Brandon Knight team was Final Four, the Anthony Davis team won the National Championship and the Naarlen Noel team is a bubble team now with no-el. With a few guys staying to provide the veteran leadership they lack this season and the new crop of one and doners next year, look for that extremely successful trend of results to continue.

I understand the following example is totally different causes and scenario, but the results are similar... Would you trade a mediocre year of football in a six-year span if it came after two national championships and a third season where you are ranked #1 all year long and finish #2 after a single loss to the eventual national champions and a bowl blowout victory over a previously undefeated team?
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:27 pm

gatorhar wrote: I thought it was just me My friends told me to
chill out. I think when we go to Lexington Billy should wear a
sweatsuit. On second thought Billy has too much class for that.

Sure "gatorhar", 'just you' but not unjust you.... and you chilled out
to a degree of being cool :cool:

Picture this "gatorhar" : Next to our bench at UK, Coach D reclining
in a 'Barcalounger' (Gator-upholstered), ipod-Bose headphones on.
Obviously "lost" listening to classical music and "air-swinging" his
finger like a conductor. Once in a while, he points on-court and our
ball handler obviously obeys Billy's call. (Big music-enjoying smile,
now Billy.) :happyevil:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatorspook » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm

I actually like Calipari and am glad he is in the SEC.
gatorspook

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum