Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lgator, MSNbot Media, muddycorey and 26 guests

BBall hard to watch

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

BBall hard to watch

Postby vulcan_alex » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 pm

From the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/02 ... 402CDB67F0

Cut and Paste

"Our game is brutal to watch right now," said Jay Bilas, an analyst for ESPN.

In case you haven't noticed — and how could you not? — scoring hasn't been this low since at least 1982, and one has to go all the way back to the early 1950s to find another season that beats this one for offensive ineptitude. Field-goal percentages are at 1960s levels. Three-point shooting has never been this bad since the long-range line was added in the 1980s.

Some people want to blame the players, saying they're not as good as they once were, not as fundamentally sound, that the good ones don't stick around long enough to make an impact on the game.

"These games are ridiculous," Bilas said. "The amount of contact that's allowed — the hand-checking, the arm bars, the dead-on pushing, the body checks on the shooter, the contact after the shot is released. Guys are getting knocked down and it's not called."

— Consolidate the referees under one sanctioning body. It's vital that everyone be held to the same standard. For instance, if hand-checking is going to be a point of emphasis, then everyone should get the memo, regardless of what league they're playing in. At the very least, Bilas said, the major conferences should come together on this issue.

— Follow the rule book. A bunch of new regulations aren't needed; there's plenty of things that aren't being called already. No one wants see the game become nothing more than a free-throw contest, and it may take a year or two for the message to sink in. But it will.

— Reduce the 35-second shot clock. This is more of a step to show the fans that college basketball is serious about addressing its problems, and likely would have less impact than the first two steps. But going with the NBA's 24-second clock or, at the very least, the 30-second clock already used in the women's game would undoubtedly create more possessions.

Bloviate!!!

I believe that the one and done is a significant issue for some teams and perhaps the rise of football taking some from Bball as well.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Re: BBall hard to watch

Postby GatorsGetGoodAgain » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:42 pm

So, basically he wants more fouls called? Geez, its already outrageous. A 30 second clock isn't a bad idea though.
GatorsGetGoodAgain
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah, I want it all better.... or for just Young ave 18/g ... KB ave 24/g
Murphy ave 20/g etc.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby -THE DUDE- » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 pm

I like a more physical game and that is why the NCAA tourney is so great...the refs let the kids play and don't call add many fouls
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby EtsuGator42 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm

I don't understand what people are complaining about? I like the physical style basketball that focus on defense. I think Ncaa basketball has been great to watch this year.
EtsuGator42
Senior Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

I agree with the physical style of play as long as the refs call the game consistantly, between teams and throughout the game. It would also be nice if they did so throughout the season.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum