Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lgator, MSNbot Media, muddycorey and 27 guests

The UFC/MMA Thread

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

The UFC/MMA Thread

Postby GatorKen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23600&ATCLID=205845361

10pm tonight.

Should be some good fights. Bellator has been putting out some great events since they moved to Spike
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Re: Bellator 89 on SPIKE TV

Postby NVGator » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm

UFC this weekend as well, right? FuelTV?
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Welcome back, Ken.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorKen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 pm

NVGator wrote:UFC this weekend as well, right? FuelTV?

Yes, Live from London so 3pm EST and Noon on the West Coast. I have free cable from my APT complex so no Fuel TV here. But I'll probably be preparing to go to the Beast Feast in Archer.

But make note of the time change there.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby GatorKen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 pm

MJMGator wrote:Welcome back, Ken.

Thanks,

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 am

GatorKen wrote:

Yes, Live from London so 3pm EST and Noon on the West Coast. I have free cable from my APT complex so no Fuel TV here. But I'll probably be preparing to go to the Beast Feast in Archer.

Noted.

Who do you like in the matchups? I know my local books usually have something on UFC. I'm going to look tomorrow.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorKen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 am

NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:

Noted.

Who do you like in the matchups? I know my local books usually have something on UFC. I'm going to look tomorrow.

These guys are so hard to figure because the main event and the other top fight= the fighters are 135 and 145lbs. Those weights are so difficult to really judge because they can go 100mph for 5 rounds or they can catch the knees and elbows and end it early. And I am not overly familiar with many of these guys. But I do think

McDonald defeats Barao for the belt.
Poirier defeats Swanson in a close fight. (Chael Sonnen also picked Poirier here)

The Manuwa v Diabate fight looks to be really interesting from a physical match up. 205lbs and Manuwa being 6'2 while Diabate is 6'6. Manuwa is 12-0 while Diabate is 20-8-3. I'm going with Manuwa in this one. He's finished all 12 fights and recently defeated Kyle Kingsbury. Diabate has been in the UFC for a few years. no real signature wins in the UFC. So I am going to go with Manuwa in this one.

The others, I don't know much about and your guess is as good as mine here. But I'm going with
Nelson over Santiago
Jimmo over Te-Huna
Mills over Riddle only because I dont like Riddle's tat
Etim over Forte, Forte looks a bit soft
Sass over Castillo. I always go with the submission grapplers

After that I think they are facebook fights. Though if you were betting I'd probably only go with the main ones. lol

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby malo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 am

Welcome back ken.
malo
Freshman Gator

Postby GatorKen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 am

malo wrote:Welcome back ken.

Thanks

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

GatorKen wrote:
NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:

Noted.

These guys are so hard to figure because the main event and the other top fight= the fighters are 135 and 145lbs. Those weights are so difficult to really judge because they can go 100mph for 5 rounds or they can catch the knees and elbows and end it early. And I am not overly familiar with many of these guys. But I do think

Poirier defeats Swanson in a close fight. (Chael Sonnen also picked Poirier here)

The Manuwa v Diabate fight looks to be really interesting from a physical match up. 205lbs and Manuwa being 6'2 while Diabate is 6'6. Manuwa is 12-0 while Diabate is 20-8-3. I'm going with Manuwa in this one. He's finished all 12 fights and recently defeated Kyle Kingsbury. Diabate has been in the UFC for a few years. no real signature wins in the UFC. So I am going to go with Manuwa in this one.

The others, I don't know much about and your guess is as good as mine here. But I'm going with
Nelson over Santiago
Jimmo over Te-Huna

After that I think they are facebook fights. Though if you were betting I'd probably only go with the main ones. lol

Excellent! Thanks Ken. I'll pep you know what I find out today.
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 pm

NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:
NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:

Noted.

Nelson over Santiago
Jimmo over Te-Huna

I went 1 for 4 Ken.
Only won on Nelson.
Lost on McDonald, Poirier, and Jimmo.

All the favorites won. :?
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:04 pm

I saw a recent video of the bikini clad beauty prancing around
notifying everyone round #2 was coming next. She was the only
person oblivious to the face-down unconscious loser being attended
to by medical staff. He was knocked cold about halfway through
round 1, which she was not watching in the least.

Photo of pretty miss, prancing 'round smiling outward holding up
#2-round card with prostrate unconscious fighter in her background.

I'm betting she heard someone shout "Knockout" and she thought it
was a comment on her figure.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorKen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

NVGator wrote:
NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:
NVGator wrote:
GatorKen wrote:

Noted.

Nelson over Santiago
Jimmo over Te-Huna

I went 1 for 4 Ken.
Only won on Nelson.
Lost on McDonald, Poirier, and Jimmo.

All the favorites won. :?

damn, sorry to hear that. The Manuwa fight ended due to injury. I hate when that happens.

GatorKen
Bull Gator

UFC 157 Ronda Rowdy Rosey vs Liz Carmouche

Postby GatorKen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

First time in the UFC we will see Women's MMA. And I think Dana White did a huge plus for the fans by putting Rousey on this card. He could have "tested" the waters with some of the others but he went big with a Title fight to start it off. Rousey collects arms like a homeless guy collects empty beer cans. But Liz Carmouche is a brawler. I've watched several of her fights and even when she loses you believe she should have won that fight. This is going to be exciting to watch even if Rousey snags another arm 45 seconds into the fight.

Machida vs Henderson
Also on this card you have HENDO (Dan Henderson) taking on Machida. This fight should be fun, two opposite standup styles. Machida with his Karate will attack from the outside and use kicks to his advantage and Hendo will look to drop that devestating H-Bomb.

Faber vs Menjivar
135 pound guys here. Not something I'm excited about. Hopefully they'll just beat the crap out of each other. Faber should be the favorite here.

Court McGee vs Josh Neer
Should be a pretty exciting fight, Neer has been around a long time but the fight card is not reflecting if this is a 185lb fight of a 170lb fight. As McGee is a 185 guy and Neer is listed at 170. That is annoying.

Koscheck vs Robbie Lawler
both guys have seen great days and really bad days. Lawler was in the UFC before but fell off the map before going elsewhere and revitalizing his career. He's more of a sprawl and brawl kind of fighter while Kos is a wrestler with decent standup. Kos is allergic to jabs though and I've not seen him do a whole lot since being dismantled by GSP.

Brendan Schaub vs Lavar Johnson
Both guys are 240lbs and 6'4. I'm not sure who I think will win this fight but it has the ability to being a really good fight.

Michael Chiesa vs Anton Kuivanen (on FX at 9pm)
155lbs here. I don't really know who Kuivanen is but Chiesa is really exciting to watch. Chiesa has a huge height and reach advantage and won the last Ultimate Fighter show. I think this guy has a lot of promise in the UFC as he is a great grappler and submission wrestler. As he progresses and develops it will be interesting to see how much he trains and focuses on his standup.

Other fights on the card (prelims and facebook fights)
Dennis Bermudez vs Matt Grice (FX)
Sam Stout vs Caros Fodor<< should be pretty good fight (FX)
Kenny Robertson vs Brock Jardine (Facebook at 8pm)
Jon Manley vs Neil Magny (facebook at 8pm)

If you want to watch the Facebook fights and do not know how. Simply like UFC on facebook and they will provide links and updates to your facebook. You have to like UFC to watch the event on their page. And of course if you miss the updates then simply go to their page and scroll the feed till you see their link.

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Re: UFC 157 Ronda Rowdy Rosey vs Liz Carmouche

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 pm

GatorKen wrote:First time in the UFC we will see Women's MMA. And I think Dana White did a huge plus for the fans by putting Rousey on this card. He could have "tested" the waters with some of the others but he went big with a Title fight to start it off. Rousey collects arms like a homeless guy collects empty beer cans. But Liz Carmouche is a brawler. I've watched several of her fights and even when she loses you believe she should have won that fight. This is going to be exciting to watch even if Rousey snags another arm 45 seconds into the fight.

Machida vs Henderson
Also on this card you have HENDO (Dan Henderson) taking on Machida. This fight should be fun, two opposite standup styles. Machida with his Karate will attack from the outside and use kicks to his advantage and Hendo will look to drop that devestating H-Bomb.

Faber vs Menjivar
135 pound guys here. Not something I'm excited about. Hopefully they'll just beat the crap out of each other. Faber should be the favorite here.

Court McGee vs Josh Neer
Should be a pretty exciting fight, Neer has been around a long time but the fight card is not reflecting if this is a 185lb fight of a 170lb fight. As McGee is a 185 guy and Neer is listed at 170. That is annoying.

Koscheck vs Robbie Lawler
both guys have seen great days and really bad days. Lawler was in the UFC before but fell off the map before going elsewhere and revitalizing his career. He's more of a sprawl and brawl kind of fighter while Kos is a wrestler with decent standup. Kos is allergic to jabs though and I've not seen him do a whole lot since being dismantled by GSP.

Brendan Schaub vs Lavar Johnson
Both guys are 240lbs and 6'4. I'm not sure who I think will win this fight but it has the ability to being a really good fight.

Michael Chiesa vs Anton Kuivanen (on FX at 9pm)
155lbs here. I don't really know who Kuivanen is but Chiesa is really exciting to watch. Chiesa has a huge height and reach advantage and won the last Ultimate Fighter show. I think this guy has a lot of promise in the UFC as he is a great grappler and submission wrestler. As he progresses and develops it will be interesting to see how much he trains and focuses on his standup.

Other fights on the card (prelims and facebook fights)
Dennis Bermudez vs Matt Grice (FX)
Sam Stout vs Caros Fodor<< should be pretty good fight (FX)
Kenny Robertson vs Brock Jardine (Facebook at 8pm)
Jon Manley vs Neil Magny (facebook at 8pm)

If you want to watch the Facebook fights and do not know how. Simply like UFC on facebook and they will provide links and updates to your facebook. You have to like UFC to watch the event on their page. And of course if you miss the updates then simply go to their page and scroll the feed till you see their link.

Names in bold are favorites according to the line I use. Only these 4 fights have a line currently but the others will by Saturday.
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Re: The MMA Thread

Postby GatorKen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 pm

cool, figured that is what the left and right of the fight card represented.

I don't bet on fights myself. At least nothing more than a drink or something at the table I am sitting at.

GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Drinks, cash, wings, or the tab, it's all a bet. ;)

BTW... I noticed this title changed and the thread merged. IMHO, it should be titled, "The UFC Thread"
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby UFever » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 pm

I didn't read this thread.
UFever
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm

UFever wrote:I didn't read this thread.

But you clicked on it and posted to it.

:yess:

:lol:
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby UFever » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:51 pm

NVGator wrote:
UFever wrote:I didn't read this thread.

But you clicked on it and posted to it.

:yess:

:lol:

I slow down for car wrecks, too. ;)
UFever
Heisman Gator