Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Flaglergator, Gatorbythebay, Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, itsgr82baflagator, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, UFever, WobbleGator and 53 guests

Another look at One and Done....

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Another look at One and Done....

Postby NitroGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:48 pm

One columnist up here in Charlotte wrote this the other day. Suggested that Jadaveon Clowney take next year off and prepare for the draft. The Lattimore injury and now Noel injury has added a lot of speculation to this theory..He would be three years removed from HS ball if he were to do this...
BTW, Jamarcus is 310 pounds. Beefy.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... hould.html
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Re: Another look at One and Done....

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 pm

I think a premier college football player taking the entire year off because he doesn't want to hurt his draft status would look bad. Very bad. The fans would vilify him and I wouldn't blame them.
oxrageous

Postby MJMGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

oxrageous wrote:I think a premier college football player taking the entire year off because he doesn't want to hurt his draft status would look bad. Very bad. The fans would vilify him and I wouldn't blame them.

Agreed.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby alcoholica » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 pm

I disagree. Given the circumstances, I think many fans would understand. USCe fans may get some sand in their cracks about it, but I wouldn't care if Clowney took a year and trained.

As for the one and done, I'd like to see the rule for baseball implemented. If I was a one and done right now, I'd sign overseas and play. They're giving Calathes big money and he'll never be good enough to play in the NBA. A top player like Noel or Davis last year could probably make $5MM instead of playing one year of college.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby phideltgator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 pm

He can leave school and come play for the dolphins...that is even better then not playing.
phideltgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Orange_Blue_15 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm

a year of starting experience is pretty damned valuable. and besides he could blow a knee training.
Orange_Blue_15
Redshirt Gator

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

As an NFL GM, does a player quitting his college team to avoid injury for a big payday look good to you? Does character matter? And yes, it's a character issue. A school gives you a scholarship for your best effort.

This is all moot. Clowney is going to play and I don't see anyone doing this anytime soon.
oxrageous

Postby MJMGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

oxrageous wrote:As an NFL GM, does a player quitting his college team to avoid injury for a big payday look good to you? Does character matter? And yes, it's a character issue. A school gives you a scholarship for your best effort.

This is all moot. Clowney is going to play and I don't see anyone doing this anytime soon.

Once again, agreed. This is a fairy tale dreamed up by some idiot sportswriter trying to think of something to write about during the offseason. Nothing more.
t-gator wrote:
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby ATXGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Spurrier commented on this - http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/j ... -out-2013/

Similar to what Ox posted above...

“Well, I hope he plays this year, and I certainly believe he should play. Now if money was his only goal in life, then he couldn’t play. And he might not get into a car before next year’s draft, so he wouldn’t be in a car wreck and get injured. He would be just very, very careful for a year not to have any kind of injury.

“But Jadeveon likes football. Football players play football. They don’t wait around on this, that or the other. He’s really good about avoiding injuries and so forth. He knows how to get out of harm’s way if there’s a big pileup around a tackle. I think the odds of him getting hurt as not nearly as much as a running back or somebody like that.

“I think he wants to play. I certainly hope and believe he does. I think he should play for South Carolina this season.

“I wasn’t surprised by the media reaction to the idea because those guys have got to talk about something for three hours every day, and that’s something to talk about,” Spurrier said. “Should he stay? Should he sit out and wait for the money?

“Most of the guys that say he should sit out, they don’t realize the benefits of being on a college football team, and continuing with your teammates to have as big of a year as you possibly can. The money is going to be there down the road, so why would a person give up the thrill of playing college football?

“Those people have never played football, so they say he should sit out and get the money. That’s the only side of sports they see — the money. There’s a lot more to it than just the money.”
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 pm

MJMGator wrote:
oxrageous wrote:I think a premier college football player taking the entire year off because he doesn't want to hurt his draft status would look bad. Very bad. The fans would vilify him and I wouldn't blame them.

Agreed.

Hell I don't like him now!
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby MJMGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Swamp82 wrote:
MJMGator wrote:

Agreed.

Hell I don't like him now!

:lol:
I don't like having to face him, but I do enjoy watching the kid play. His raw speed and athleticism reminds me of Jevon Kearse when he was at UF.
t-gator wrote:
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

My views are compartmentalized on the subject. On the one hand, it would serve to trivialize the game to have a premier player essentially tell his college team it's not important enough for him to suit up for his junior season.

On the other hand, I get it, it's a business decision.

I'll tell you what, the best and worst thing that ever happened to sports is the obscene TV money being thrown at it. It's changed everything, a lot of it for the worse.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Thats alot of free time and we know these guys have tendency to...well....fk up and go to jail. Not sure it's a good idea.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 pm

diehardg8r wrote:Thats alot of free time and we know these guys have tendency to...well....fk up and go to jail. Not sure it's a good idea.

This is actually a good point. :lol:
oxrageous

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am

Class of '78 wrote:My views are compartmentalized on the subject. On the one hand, it would serve to trivialize the game to have a premier player essentially tell his college team it's not important enough for him to suit up for his junior season.

On the other hand, I get it, it's a business decision.

I'll tell you what, the best and worst thing that ever happened to sports is the obscene TV money being thrown at it. It's changed everything, a lot of it for the worse.

You are absolutely right in your comments. The money, the huge sums of money, have changed everything. Don't get me wrong, as a capitalist I believe in whatever the market will pay you. But the money has distorted everything.

There was a time in pro football where most players had to have second jobs to support themselves in the off-season. I remember guys like Billy Cannon, Dave Middleton, and some others who went to dental school during the off-season so they could become dentists. And Cannon signed for the biggest bonus ever at the time being caught up in the bidding was between the NFL and the newly established American Football League.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Homer J » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 am

NitroGator wrote:One columnist up here in Charlotte wrote this the other day. Suggested that Jadaveon Clowney take next year off and prepare for the draft. The Lattimore injury and now Noel injury has added a lot of speculation to this theory..He would be three years removed from HS ball if he were to do this...
BTW, Jamarcus is 310 pounds. Beefy.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... hould.html

Congrats to Jamarcus, he lost a couple more pounds.... It's the equivalent of throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Mike Florio, who's becoming more of a prick day by day, takes a real shot at Spurrier for wanting Clowney to play:
By all appearances, Clowney remains fully under the spell of a multimillionaire “Ball Coach” who has no problem with shaming his players into playing football for peanuts in comparison to the paycheck given to a guy who never has to step between the white lines and put his future earning potential at risk.

Perhaps this dumb ***** doesn't realize that Spurrier is a Heisman Trophy winning college player and pulled off another 7 or 8 years in the NFL. He played quite a bit of football and "put his future earning potential at risk". Ass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments
oxrageous

Postby GatorsGetGoodAgain » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm

All of these guys can get huge insurance policies to protect against catastrophic injuries. Nerlens Noel has a big policy on himself already so the whole "should these guys go straight to pro cause they are risking future earnings" etc is moot. Just take out a big policy, Timmy did it his senior year too. You can get hurt just as easy playing college ball as pro.
GatorsGetGoodAgain
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm

What a skewed view of Clowney .... it's everybody he plays against
who need injury insurance. Is there any insurance for being
overly embarrassed as an offensive lineman ? :cool:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby vulcan_alex » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 pm

GatorsGetGoodAgain wrote:All of these guys can get huge insurance policies to protect against catastrophic injuries. Nerlens Noel has a big policy on himself already so the whole "should these guys go straight to pro cause they are risking future earnings" etc is moot. Just take out a big policy, Timmy did it his senior year too. You can get hurt just as easy playing college ball as pro.

Exactly and of course you can get hurt in any number of other ways.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum