Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackLabGator, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 40 guests

One and Done Question.

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

One and Done Question.

Postby UFever » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/75916/noels-knee-as-age-limit-referendum
Hmm..
Some think it will go to two. Hate it for the kid. Looked bad.
UFever
Heisman Gator

Re: One and Done Question.

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 am

I thought this thread would be about Peyton Manning.
oxrageous

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

On topic, I think that the NBA should allow the straight-from-high-school-to-NBA thing - contingent on their being a minimum of three years in college if a player goes that route, like football.

This farting around in college for a year, not going to class, and jumping to the pros makes a mockery of college basketball. It takes away from the pride and spirit of college sports. It's absurd it was ever implemented.

However, I also think that the glut of players that would try to go from high school directly to the NBA is also bad. It turns the NBA into a developmental league, which is what really turned me away from it ten years ago. The players that can actually pull it off (Kobe, Garnett, etc) are very rare talents.

Personally I'd like to see the minimum of 3 years thing in college for NBA eligibility and no straight high school jumps, but I know it will never happen.
oxrageous

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am

I always hated the "one and done" rule. Either allow players to go straight from high school or make them do 3 years of college.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 am

oxrageous wrote:On topic, I think that the NBA should allow the straight-from-high-school-to-NBA thing - contingent on their being a minimum of three years in college if a player goes that route, like football.

This farting around in college for a year, not going to class, and jumping to the pros makes a mockery of college basketball. It takes away from the pride and spirit of college sports. It's absurd it was ever implemented.

However, I also think that the glut of players that would try to go from high school directly to the NBA is also bad. It turns the NBA into a developmental league, which is what really turned me away from it ten years ago. The players that can actually pull it off (Kobe, Garnett, etc) are very rare talents.

Personally I'd like to see the minimum of 3 years thing in college for NBA eligibility and no straight high school jumps, but I know it will never happen.

Agreed...i've always said to do it like college baseball. If they want to leave after HS and go straight to the pros let them do it but if they choose college they have to be there 3 years. I don't think they should ban a kid from being able to make a living if they are talented enough to do so. Football is understandable if no other reason than safety.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

I think it's pretty dumb too but how many kids on average leave after one year? If they do its probably because they are a pretty good talent. Although that rarely means they will be a star on the next level...
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am

18 year olds should have the right to pursue a career in any industry as they see fit. Thus I'm all for high school to pro jumps in all sports without regulation. Whether the individual makes the right choice or not is on them and they should be held accountable for their decision if they are a success or a bust.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am

The NBA went to hell in the early 90s. They could fold up that league due to lack of interest and it would be fine with me.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 am

GulfG8r wrote:The NBA went to hell in the early 90s. They could fold up that league due to lack of interest and it would be fine with me.

I don't think it was that long ago - I say around 2001 or so, when all the superstars had pretty much retired - Jordan quitting was the beginning of the end. I grew up with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Olajuwan, Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Mullin, Drexler, Wilkins, I. Thomas, Pippen, etc. I miss those guys a lot. The new crop can't hold a candle.

Hell, I saw Tim Hardaway Jr. on TV last night and felt old.
oxrageous

Postby vulcan_alex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I would like the three year rule for BBall, and I really don't know why the NBA union has not instituted it. The union is the reason there is such a rule for football.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

WobbleGator wrote:I always hated the "one and done" rule. Either allow players to go straight from high school or make them do 3 years of college.

When Wobble uses more than one line to express a sentiment, it must be really important. We need to do away with the one and done.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm

WhoGator wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:I always hated the "one and done" rule. Either allow players to go straight from high school or make them do 3 years of college.

When Wobble uses more than one line to express a sentiment, it must be really important. We need to do away with the one and done.

:lol:

:bowdown:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatordad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm

I have no opinion. I just wanted to be part of this thread.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby willgetin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Personally, I don't care whether its one and done or 3 years before they can play pro, JUST MAKE IT CONSISTENT FOR ALL NCAA SPORTS !
Alv: We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
Alv: You do realize your signature bums me out more than any other Jort rabble on the GSMB...Any chance you would...remove it?
willgetin
Heisman Gator

Postby delg8tor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm

The reason they allow the one and done for basketball is because most of the super talented players that this applies to are dumber than dirt and cannot survive going to class for three years and stay eligible at the same time.
delg8tor
Senior Gator

Postby GatorMark86 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 pm

The great thing about the three year rule in other sports is that you really get a chance to know the players on your team and watch them develop. The student athlete gets a real opportunity to mature physically, emotionally, academically and understand life skills. It would really help ticket sales in both college and the NBA.

Over the years I have not watched a lot of NBA basketball Jordan, Bird, Majic, ..., but lately with all the Gators doing well in the NBA I find myself following them in the NBA. I know many others who feel the same way.

One night I was watching the Heat play and there were 3 former Gators on the floor at the same time...I love it!

I also believe they would then have to allow a player to go directly to the NBA after High School. Maybe put in some criteria they have to meet.
GatorMark86
Baby Gator

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Think it has anything to do with it being easier to make the jump to the pros in basketball an baseball than it is in football?

It's extremely hard to make that jump in any sport but for sure seems like football would be the hardest
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 pm

oxrageous wrote:
GulfG8r wrote:The NBA went to hell in the early 90s. They could fold up that league due to lack of interest and it would be fine with me.

I don't think it was that long ago - I say around 2001 or so, when all the superstars had pretty much retired - Jordan quitting was the beginning of the end. I grew up with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Olajuwan, Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Mullin, Drexler, Wilkins, I. Thomas, Pippen, etc. I miss those guys a lot. The new crop can't hold a candle.

Hell, I saw Tim Hardaway Jr. on TV last night and felt old.

I'll stay with the early 90s. All those guys you mentioned fit that time frame. In addition to Isiah Thomas, you left out the rest of my Bad Boys -- they introduced defense to the NBA the way Spurrier introduced passing to the SEC. Even Rodman was alright when Chuck Daly was directing his energies.

I last went to an NBA game about 4 years ago -- first I had tried in many years. The whole experience was very, well. . . . . . African. Last game I went to before that, Ron Artest was running through the stands swinging at spectators. The NBA can color me gone.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 pm

#1GATOR FAN wrote:Think it has anything to do with it being easier to make the jump to the pros in basketball an baseball than it is in football?

It's extremely hard to make that jump in any sport but for sure seems like football would be the hardest

safety is the biggest issue in football. Plus there is just no way to scout for it and they wouldn't draft high schoolers even if they were eligible. Just look at the bust rate making the jump from high school to college and the scouts would have to make a judgement if they could make it from high school to the NFL? It just could never happen...you have to physically mature so much more than any other sport. It's just not even comprehensible.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't get it. The NBA has a development league. Why not let these guys go straight to the NBA after high school and put them on their D-League roster for a year? They'd be under contract and have their career and could still have their year out of school rule.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum