Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hoosier Gator, MSNbot Media and 38 guests

2020 Olympics

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

2020 Olympics

Postby Maillot Jaune » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

I love the Olympics with the world stage atmosphere, exposure for all kinds of sports....and the stories of athletes who train for years with the one shot at glory. People who toil at "non-professional" sports their entire lives for this one day.

I have never been a huge fan of wrestling, but I respect the dedication and how hard it is. Seems to me it's about as basic as it gets competition wise, which is why it's hard for me to believe this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... --oly.html

I'm for keeping the games contemporary, but dropping all wrestling seems odd. What say you?
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Re: 2020 Olympics

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 am

You didn't hear? Wrestling is not a sport. Guess that means the same for MMA :lol:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Sad...
Though many assumed modern pentathlon would get the boot, the committee instead decided to eliminate wrestling, which has roots in the ancient Greece games and has been a part of every modern Olympics since they began in 1896

I view wrestling like Track and Field, Boxing, Weightlifting, Swimming... Core Olympic Sports. But then, the Olympics has been everything but core sports for a while now (see synchronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, etc.).

Baseball and softball were dropped because the same 5-6 countries were always the ones that succeeded and they wanted more world participation... Wasn't basketball that way for a long time and look at it now.
Anyway, this contradicts that precedent...
So much for IOC's alleged standard of universality for sports: modern pentathlon had athletes from 26 countries in London; wrestling, 71

Honestly, I never watched much wrestling in the Olympics, but to drop it to modernize and consider rollerblading, wakeboarding and "wushu"??? Might as well add speed texting and sand castle building.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby NVGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 pm

WobbleGator wrote:You didn't hear? Wrestling is not a sport. Guess that means the same for MMA :lol:

They're replacing the wrestling events with MMA. :rolleyes:
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 pm

NVGator wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:You didn't hear? Wrestling is not a sport. Guess that means the same for MMA :lol:

They're replacing the wrestling events with MMA. :rolleyes:

Wishful thinking. :lol:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Include only sports where equipment companies can sell "stuff"
to schools to prepare competitors throughout the world. Wrestling
involves fewer "wanna-be's" to ask "mommy/daddy" to buy rhythmic
ribbons for pedophillic lil girl sports.

Olympic events originally/honorably related to "war-skills". God
save us from China's ping-pong attack or shuttlecocks raining from
the sky.

Bet Oprah had a hand in this.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Maillot Jaune » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 pm

rogdochar wrote:Include only sports where equipment companies can sell "stuff"
to schools to prepare competitors throughout the world. Wrestling
involves fewer "wanna-be's" to ask "mommy/daddy" to buy rhythmic
ribbons for pedophillic lil girl sports.

Olympic events originally/honorably related to "war-skills". God
save us from China's ping-pong attack or shuttlecocks raining from
the sky.

Bet Oprah had a hand in this.

Perhaps Oprah and Phil Knight. Maybe Nike didn't have enough wrestling sales.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

I was thinking they were making more room for the oh so clean bicycle races? :dunno:
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm

NVGator wrote:I was thinking they were making more room for the oh so clean bicycle races? :dunno:

... and the public demo of Soccer-fixing --
-- the world's most popular "sport".
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby divits888 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Soooooo...they’re getting rid of one of the original Olympic sports that dates back to Ancient Greece but they’re keeping dressage, badminton and race walking. Got it. :?
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm

rogdochar wrote:
NVGator wrote:I was thinking they were making more room for the oh so clean bicycle races? :dunno:

That too. :lol:
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 pm

The IOC stated that their decision was motivated by the poor viewer ratings of wrestling. Of course they don't stop and think that they rarely ever televise the wrestling matches. The IOC picks the sports they want to shove down our throats like dressage, synchronized swimming and rhythmic dance as mentioned and televises those instead of the things we want to see like power lifting and wrestling. It's the gayification of the Olympics imo.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby Maillot Jaune » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 pm

rogdochar wrote:

Indeed. What's worse: cheating to win....or cheating to lose? One is certainly harder to mask. Just ask Marion Jones or some sly track athletes....among others.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorKen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Maillot Jaune wrote:I love the Olympics with the world stage atmosphere, exposure for all kinds of sports....and the stories of athletes who train for years with the one shot at glory. People who toil at "non-professional" sports their entire lives for this one day.

I have never been a huge fan of wrestling, but I respect the dedication and how hard it is. Seems to me it's about as basic as it gets competition wise, which is why it's hard for me to believe this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... --oly.html

I'm for keeping the games contemporary, but dropping all wrestling seems odd. What say you?

If they take wrestling out of the olympics then countries should boycott the games. We can have badminton and curling but Wrestling..... Stupid pricks, ruining the Olympics like our Govt is ruining our society.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby rleaton4880 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 pm

The Olympics are becoming more and more irrelevant...wrestling and running were the two sports in the original Olympics of 2500 years ago....what's next, eliminate track & field! By the way trampolining is still in!
rleaton4880
True Gator

Postby NVGator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Maillot Jaune wrote:
rogdochar wrote:

Indeed. What's worse: cheating to win....or cheating to lose? One is certainly harder to mask. Just ask Marion Jones or some sly track athletes....among others.

I actually met Marion and spent some time with her (a few hours) prior to her scandal. She was one think girl. ;)
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Scott512 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 pm

WhoGator wrote:Sad...
Though many assumed modern pentathlon would get the boot, the committee instead decided to eliminate wrestling, which has roots in the ancient Greece games and has been a part of every modern Olympics since they began in 1896

I view wrestling like Track and Field, Boxing, Weightlifting, Swimming... Core Olympic Sports. But then, the Olympics has been everything but core sports for a while now (see synchronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, etc.).

Baseball and softball were dropped because the same 5-6 countries were always the ones that succeeded and they wanted more world participation... Wasn't basketball that way for a long time and look at it now.
Anyway, this contradicts that precedent...
So much for IOC's alleged standard of universality for sports: modern pentathlon had athletes from 26 countries in London; wrestling, 71

Honestly, I never watched much wrestling in the Olympics, but to drop it to modernize and consider rollerblading, wakeboarding and "wushu"??? Might as well add speed texting and sand castle building.

Your first paragraph says it all. the Olympics are all about money and commercializing sports. I am sure they want MMA in there instead of wrestling to oldest olympic sport. Crazy. To me the summer games jumped the shark when they got rid of softball and baseball. WTF. Crazy. Yet they replace these sports with crap sports. Glad I don't watch the olympics much anymore. The Miracle On Ice and the Atlanta games were a long time ago.
Scott512
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm

I remember reading an article a few years back about Olympic broadcasts. The problem for sports purists, like most of us, is that we are the declining viewers for the Olympics. The increasing market? Women 30-60 that don't generally like sports. So what do the like? Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Diving, Synchronized Swimming... basically all the sports that are "performances" and often have no clear-cut winner because results are based on judges. As they show more of those sports with their 10 minutes of commentary for every minute of action, female ratings increase and real sports fans drop in viewership because who wants to sit through 15 minutes of a personality profile of some 400 meter sprinter's family life to watch a 45 second race.

The Olympics stopped being about sports competition long ago and the wrestling move this week just confirms it.

Rog... you like "wrestling move"? That was for you.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 pm

The blade runner won't be there, he will be just nubbin along in the prison system in South Africa.
Last edited by Swamp82 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorKen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Ultimately I think this sucks. But its MMA's gain. Boxing is in the Olympics and if they remove on Martial Art then why not bring in the big bang of Martial Arts? Would be crazy exciting though.

"The problem is nobody wants to watch it," White said. "Any sport, especially these days, it's about selling tickets and eyeballs and viewers and all these other things. And there's been a lot of people saying, 'You've got to f---ing do something,' but – and Garry (Cook) and I were talking about this yesterday –what this could be is the evolution of mixed martial arts becoming an Olympic sport."

White said MMA's status as one of the fastest growing sports in the world could help usher it into the Olympics.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/dana-white-potential-olympic-wrestling-demise-could-be-mmas-gain
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum