Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Non Gator fan posting on GSMB

A forum for post-padding and innovative discussions on a vast array of topics.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Non Gator fan posting on GSMB

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm

I don't post on this board or any others very often. Not that I don't frequent them so I guess I'm more of a lurker. I have been involved with forums and was even a moderator previously. It took more time than I had available and I tired of the private messages from members trying to get me to do this or that for them or against another member. We had to establish some guidelines on what topics were ok.

1) Religion. Nothing is more maddening than to have a 30 page debate on what, who, is right, wrong, Blah blah. No religion topics in general discussion.

2) Politics. Same as above. Whether you're Liberal, Conservative. Right, Left or what ever. Keep it to yourself or in the appropriate board.

The point of this post is that I disagree with how non Gator fans are treated or perceived by some members. My understanding is that this is an open forums for the discussion of sports related topics by fans. Even some members have given other members crap when criticizing the Gators. If I don't agree with what the gators do I'm going to say so.

Don't hijack a topic. If we are talking about the Gators offense don't deliberately post about your grandmothers boil that just burst. Not that some witty or funny gif isn't appreciated but stay on topic.

We should encourage dialogue from everyone regardless of them being a fan of our team. The fact that someone will come to this board should be encouraged and appreciated. After all we want to have as many members contributing as possible. Otherwise membership will decline and we will have the same people saying the same things.

This isn't meant to say that I agree with Alvin or any other non Florida fan. Cane Thing who I haven't seen lately, Cat man do or whatever the Kentucky fans name is all appreciated by me because they at least visit and contribute.

Thanks for taking the time to read and whether you agree or disagree I think we should appreciate the fact that we have a place to share our love for sports and the Gators. After all if you don't like a poster you can always ignore them. :gatoreat: Go Gators!!
Last edited by g8rbob on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby Gator98MD » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Bro I have been saying the same thing for awhile. I love Alvin's posts and I thought cane thing was funny as well. Wish people weren't so dogmatic on here
Image
User avatar
Gator98MD
All-American Gator
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Image
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Shelby, NC

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I'd also like to see some of these guests listed as on this forum. Currently 91 people would log in or join. Of course I'm one of them most of the time.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby rogdochar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

g8rbob wrote:I don't post on this board or any others very often. Not that I don't frequent them so I guess I'm more of a lurker. I have been involved with forums and was even a moderator previously. It took more time than I had available and I tired of the private messages from members trying to get me to do this or that for them or against another member. We had to establish some guidelines on what topics were ok.

1) Religion. Nothing is more maddening than to have a 30 page debate on what, who, is right, wrong, Blah blah. No religion topics in general discussion.

2) Politics. Same as above. Whether you're Liberal, Conservative. Right, Left or what ever. Keep it to yourself or in the appropriate board.

The point of this post is that I disagree with how non Gator fans are treated or perceived by some members. My understanding is that this is an open forums for the discussion of sports related topics by fans. Even some members have given other members crap when criticizing the Gators. If I don't agree with what the gators do I'm going to say so.

Don't hijack a topic. If we are talking about the Gators offense don't deliberately post about your grandmothers boil that just burst. Not that some witty or funny gif isn't appreciated but stay on topic.

We should encourage dialogue from everyone regardless of them being a fan of our team. The fact that someone will come to this board should be encouraged and appreciated. After all we want to have as many members contributing as possible. Otherwise membership will decline and we will have the same people saying the same things.

This isn't meant to say that I agree with Alvin or any other non Florida fan. Cane Thing who I haven't seen lately, Cat man do or whatever the Kentucky fans name is all appreciated by me because they at least visit and contribute.

Thanks for taking the time to read and whether you agree or disagree I think we should appreciate the fact that we have a place to share our love for sports and the Gators. After all if you don't like a poster you can always ignore them. :gatoreat: Go Gators!!


... wouldn't all this be tampering with natural evolution ?
'dontcha' see "g8rbob", this is "Jurrnasty Park" ? :?
User avatar
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 12746
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:17 am

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby DaddyGator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Image
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: Pensacola, L.A.

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby GatorKen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

So I had some of that Special K cereal for breakfast. The Chocolatey Strawberry.... It was pretty darn good.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.


I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
User avatar
GatorKen
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Murica

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 pm

GatorKen wrote:So I had some of that Special K cereal for breakfast. The Chocolatey Strawberry.... It was pretty darn good.


Nice healthy choice. I'm an old fart, just give me a bowl of regular old Corn Flakes, maybe some fresh fruit cut up in it for a thrill.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Shelby, NC

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 pm

GatorKen wrote:So I had some of that Special K cereal for breakfast. The Chocolatey Strawberry.... It was pretty darn good.


That's ok. Some bastar d in a Miata just tried to run me over. He was yelling something about he's the boss and will do as he pleases.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby law98gator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

That's ridiculous. You know the Miata is gone and he only drives a Corvette and other real sports cars now.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16920
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby oxrageous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 pm

I thought the board had been humming pretty well. I'm not sure why I'm being attacked lately.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby Swamp Queen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm

oxrageous wrote:I thought the board had been humming pretty well. I'm not sure why I'm being attacked lately.


It was probably URG's thread about new mods.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.


DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
User avatar
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6082
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: anywhere but here

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm

I posted this topic in the sports forum because I feel that the majority of readers visit there. Although this doesn't discuss sports it does address that people who enjoy sports need to have a place to express their opinion.

I think this thread should be moved back to it's original forum to allow readers a chance to discuss what they think a sports board should be about. At least for 24 hours or so to what type of response it gets.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby oxrageous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 pm

g8rbob wrote:1) Religion. Nothing is more maddening than to have a 30 page debate on what, who, is right, wrong, Blah blah. No religion topics in general discussion.

We don't have 30 page topics on religion in the sports section. They get moved. So what are you talking about?
2) Politics. Same as above. Whether you're Liberal, Conservative. Right, Left or what ever. Keep it to yourself or in the appropriate board.

Comments here and there are let go, but any thread that turns political gets moved to the Politics section. So what are you talking about?
The point of this post is that I disagree with how non Gator fans are treated or perceived by some members. My understanding is that this is an open forums for the discussion of sports related topics by fans. Even some members have given other members crap when criticizing the Gators. If I don't agree with what the gators do I'm going to say so.

I primarily disagree. It's a Gator board. Non Gators are guests. When they troll and try and stir up crap, they will be punished. They are on thin ice from the get-go. Most people don't log on a Gator site to have to listen to propaganda from rivals.
Don't hijack a topic. If we are talking about the Gators offense don't deliberately post about your grandmothers boil that just burst. Not that some witty or funny gif isn't appreciated but stay on topic.

Not only is this difficult to enforce, it's what makes the GSMB so charming. Topics can fly off in any direction, but can easily be shifted back in the right direction. I don't see this as an issue.
We should encourage dialogue from everyone regardless of them being a fan of our team. The fact that someone will come to this board should be encouraged and appreciated. After all we want to have as many members contributing as possible. Otherwise membership will decline and we will have the same people saying the same things.

Disagree. I believe in discouraging non-Gators from posting on the GSMB.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby oxrageous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 pm

g8rbob wrote:I posted this topic in the sports forum because I feel that the majority of readers visit there. Although this doesn't discuss sports it does address that people who enjoy sports need to have a place to express their opinion.

I think this thread should be moved back to it's original forum to allow readers a chance to discuss what they think a sports board should be about. At least for 24 hours or so to what type of response it gets.

No.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm

What I'm saying Ox. Which you seem to disagree on is that this message board should be tolerant to commentary from sports fans. Regardless of the team they root for. Go read the Forum rules. I'm not being a smart as s but I think you're wrong.

Guidelines for posting in the forums

1. Gatorsports Forum: This forum is for sports-related threads ONLY. It is not limited to University of Florida sports. A certain level of sports-related joking is permitted, but if it rises to the level of spamming (multiple threads on the same topic), those posters are subject to a temporary suspension. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this sports related?", it probably isn't.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm

While I agree with some of the points raised in the OP, it's also obvious that:

a) This isn't a news forum, it's a sports fan forum.
b) Specifically for Florida Gator fans.

In other words, why wouldn't you expect rampant homerism? It's a Gator board. Most posters come here to express their love for all things orange and blue and to share in the mutual pride of an outstanding university/alma mater.

That being said, I disagree with the idea conveyed that contra opinions aren't condoned. It's been my experience over three-plus years that if you've got an opposite take and you express it thoughtfully and back it up with fact, it's generally received in a productive fashion. You might take a little flak, but that's part of posting. It pays to develop some thick skin (and a sense of humor), which might even help you in other phases of your life!

I contrast that with some of the flaming posting that has been sponsored by various and notorious trolls. That'll never fly, and, really, why should it?

BTW, how did this get moved to the Lounge? :lol:
Last edited by Class of '78 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Class of '78
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6568
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby oxrageous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:16 pm

g8rbob wrote:What I'm saying Ox. Which you seem to disagree on is that this message board should be tolerant to commentary from sports fans. Regardless of the team they root for. Go read the Forum rules. I'm not being a smart as s but I think you're wrong.

Guidelines for posting in the forums

1. Gatorsports Forum: This forum is for sports-related threads ONLY. It is not limited to University of Florida sports. A certain level of sports-related joking is permitted, but if it rises to the level of spamming (multiple threads on the same topic), those posters are subject to a temporary suspension. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this sports related?", it probably isn't.

Hmmmm. Sounds like you already broke the rules you just posted. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this sports related?", it probably isn't. You posted non-sports in the sports section. Perhaps I should take the advice of the above rules and give you a temporary suspension for breaking the rules.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby g8rbob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm

My two examples, Religion and Politics are things that I didn't allow in the board I was part of. It just caused to much trouble. I wasn't saying that GSMB had those.

I'd agree on the hijacking of posts. To hard to control.
User avatar
g8rbob
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Non Gator fan posting on GSF

Postby oxrageous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Bobby, you continue to keep your cool despite me ragging you pretty hard here. I'm going to reward you by moving this back to the sports section.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Next

Return to The Lounge

cron