Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChattanooGATOR, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 25 guests

Shariff Floyd draft status

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Shariff Floyd draft status

Postby alcoholica » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:37 am

Floyd is currently ranked #7 on the ESPN draft board. A couple months ago he wasn't listed in the first round. The next update had him late 1st, then around 18, and now top ten. I guess people actually started reviewing film. Wonder how they get their rankings otherwise. I can understand how the combine can affect draft status, but how do you go from 2nd round pick to top ten in 2 months, if the gurus are actually doing their job.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Re: Shariff Floyd draft status

Postby UGator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 am

Shariff is a wonderful person and football player and should be a template for any DL recruit we pursue. He came up from sheer poverty and built himself into a great example of what anyone can do with the right heart and attitude.
I hope he gets the best contract that's out there since he is the type of person who understands how his past can help anyone who has a similar background.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 am

This kid will give some fortunate team 8-10 solid years. Wish him well.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am

Class of '78 wrote:This kid will give some fortunate team 8-10 solid years. Wish him well.

+1000000000000
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:26 pm

alcoholica wrote:I guess people actually started reviewing film. Wonder how they get their rankings otherwise.

Besides playing great when healthy in the past and the combines in the future, it's the character things that are being evaluated now... I think it was that farewell letter he posted in the Alligator and in the Gainesville Sun that got him the big jump :lol:

:chomp:
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby BMF » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm

"They" get their info from other people in the business: scouts, coaches, etc.

People like to bash Todd McShay and Mel Kiper....like they are just making up what they report. It's their full time job, their career....to investigate, watch film, meet w/ scouts, analysts, etc. I hate the NFL...but I do like seeing our guys get drafted. I certainly don't get my panties in a wad when they aren't making glowing comments about our guys. Not everyone is an NFL talent...although they may have been a star in college.

Larry Kennedy was a 4 year starter, All-SEC, All-American...and never played in the NFL. His teammate, Jimmy Spencer, a CB who played mostly Nickle....had a 10 year NFL career...and never started at UF.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Now Shariff is a great example of a person and player. That said his actual draft position will depend (somewhat) on what defense the teams are running and if they already have appropriate players. In addition their general needs and other avaiable players (different positions) have a great impact.

I am reasonably sure he will be a success!!!
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby Coach9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Watching coach's tape Floyd really stands out. FSU tape alone could put him in top 10.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 pm

BMF wrote:"They" get their info from other people in the business: scouts, coaches, etc.

People like to bash Todd McShay and Mel Kiper....like they are just making up what they report. It's their full time job, their career....to investigate, watch film, meet w/ scouts, analysts, etc.---

No self-respecting scout would share information with those two. Primarily what they receive is counterintelligence/disinformation. That's why they are so wildly wrong so often.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 pm

law98gator wrote:
BMF wrote:"They" get their info from other people in the business: scouts, coaches, etc.

People like to bash Todd McShay and Mel Kiper....like they are just making up what they report. It's their full time job, their career....to investigate, watch film, meet w/ scouts, analysts, etc.---

No self-respecting scout would share information with those two. Primarily what they receive is counterintelligence/disinformation. That's why they are so wildly wrong so often.

So are the scouts. See: Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Byron Leftwich, etc, etc, etc.....
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gouryella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Dude was a beast in the middle. We will feel the loss of Floyd next year. Wish him the best in the NFL and with his new family.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

BMF wrote:
law98gator wrote:

So are the scouts. See: Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Byron Leftwich, etc, etc, etc.....

Yes, but Kiper the man who has never worn a jock isn't predicting who will be good or bad, he's predicting who will be taken by what team. At that, he sucks. He just happened to be a derelict who would work for ESPN back when they paid their staff with ious and twinkies.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby alcoholica » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 am

We are not talking about the Mountain West or the MAC. Floyd played in the most competitive conference in the country. No one in the SEC should jump from the 2nd round into the top 10 prior to the combine. I get the character argument, and agree to an extent. But...a bad character issue can make you drop that many spaces. Good character will just allow you to jump the prospects with character concerns (certainly not 20+ spots).

I think the primary reason he jumped was because a GM was reported as saying he'd be taken in the top 10. So sounds like McDouche and the Hair can't even grade the prospects without someone outright saying where someone will be drafted.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby Ringer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 am

Hope he get's first round money where ever he lands.

"Because in 2007, we learned that at their best, Florida is better than Ohio State. Yesterday we learned that at their worst, Florida is still better than Ohio State."
Ringer
Head Ball Coach

Postby DCflorida » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:30 am

He greatly deserves all he has coming.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby williston_gator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

NFL network guy. "Analyst for http://NFL.com and NFL Network--Former scout for the Ravens, Browns and Eagles."

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
The next GM or personnel director that tells me Sharrif Floyd will fall past the 10th pick will be the 1st. He's going to get picked EARLY!

RT @oakland627: No way floyd goes before Star> I wouldn't take that to the bank...

Wow.

"@McShay13 (Todd McShay): completely agree. 2012 tape so much better than 2011. Better fit inside. Also much improved power and hands" > dynamic player
williston_gator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatordad » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

My favorite player during this tough transition. I hope he does well. He has paid the price. For those that are new here, someone needs to post his story from the archives. Unreal, good guy!
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby Coach9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

williston_gator wrote:NFL network guy. "Analyst for http://NFL.com and NFL Network--Former scout for the Ravens, Browns and Eagles."

The next GM or personnel director that tells me Sharrif Floyd will fall past the 10th pick will be the 1st. He's going to get picked EARLY!

RT @oakland627: No way floyd goes before Star> I wouldn't take that to the bank...

Wow.

"@McShay13 (Todd McShay): completely agree. 2012 tape so much better than 2011. Better fit inside. Also much improved power and hands" > dynamic player

Floyd played better competition than Star. We saw what SEC competition did to Manti's stock.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby No1GatorFreak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:52 am

I KNEW when Floyd declared that he would be a top 10 pick and AT WORST a top 15 pick. Look, I am no scout, guru, or someone who pretends to be a know it all, but what I am is a football junkie. And, more so I am a Gator football junkie. Now, with that said, I am 31 yrs young and I have been an intense Gator football fan, watching every game, since 1992. What I saw from Floyd, since he was a freshman, was that he was the best DT on our team. After I watched us play Vandy in 2010 in that was a game that he REALLY jumped off the tape at me. This guy is a DOMINATING tackle and an incredible person. Some team is going to dump loads of money at this guy and he's gonna be a 8 year starting player on the LOS and make some team very happy. He is one of the 20 greatest Gator defensive players of all time and if someone has a mock draft I sure would like to see 5 defensive players in this years class that is BETTER than him. He is clearly Top 10 material. When I saw him around #28 on Kiper board I immediately thought to myself.... well I can't say on here what I really thought. He really made our defense hard to handle. NOBODY could run the ball on us and NOBODY could block Floyd. He is every bit worth the price of admission. Floyd is as close to a sure thing as you can get projecting NFL talent.
No1GatorFreak
Baby Gator

Postby scooby321 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I hope he falls to my Bucs
scooby321
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum