Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChattanooGATOR, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 25 guests

Champ says Jaylen Watkins "probably" to safety

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Champ says Jaylen Watkins "probably" to safety

Postby 239FLAGTR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:45 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/p ... scFmTKwTjm

About 1:25 starts to talk about Purifoy and Roberson at corner, then talks about J Wat to safety...
239FLAGTR
Baby Gator

Re: Champ says Jaylen Watkins "probably" to safety

Postby G8RByte » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Better hit the dinner table.
Reporter "What do you think about your team's execution?". John McKay "I'm all for it".
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Did he say if Purifoy has a "high" probability of playing WR too?

----
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gatorphan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

I think he really likes VH3
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Gatorphan
Heisman Gator

Postby G8RByte » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Gatorphan wrote:I think he really likes VH3

Yep, seems like chess pieces are moving because of him.
Reporter "What do you think about your team's execution?". John McKay "I'm all for it".
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Postby CGgater » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 pm

BMF wrote:Did he say if Purifoy has a "high" probability of playing WR too?

----

Yeah, might want to keep Watkins at CB a little longer... :?
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Good, cause he gets burned too much at CB in man.

At Safety, at least he won't have to turn his head too much, if he keeps the ball in front of him. I like this move.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby 239FLAGTR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 pm

G8RByte wrote:Better hit the dinner table.

I feel the same way. Elam was just as good in coverage but soooo much more physical that he could play at the LOS
239FLAGTR
Baby Gator

Postby unofficialgator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:10 am

I think its more of spring or depth issue.

We have more experienced players at CB then anything other ATH position so Champ is getting Watkins and Purifoy's feet wet at other positions where we are liking depth in terms of game experience.

Plus I think both Watkins and Purifoy can make some noise at those other positions as well.
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby UGator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 am

Nothing against our present corners, but players like VH3 don't come along very often. He can immediately help lock down one side of the field which allows our pass rush to be even more effective. Our depth will be great and our young DL's and LB's will have more opportunities to go after the ball without helping out on coverage as much as they learn their roles.

Now, we have to get our "O" on the same track to greatness and Pease, and hopefully Driskel, will have more weapons to work with and open things up to be a complete team.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby ltraz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Nothing against VH3, but I think some people need to slow down a bit. He was a top HIGHSCHOOL CB and wasn't even the consensus #1 at that. I'm not knocking him, but I just don't know what people have seen that I haven't to start calling him the next Leon Sandcastle. There is a big difference btw playing Treadwell 8 yrds off and being asked to get in Justin Hunter's face. I would think that if this move has to do with the coaches' confidence in anyone it would be Poole (which would make VH3 the nickel if Watkins and Purifoy both move).
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby Leroy Jenkins » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

ltraz wrote:Nothing against VH3, but I think some people need to slow down a bit. He was a top HIGHSCHOOL CB and wasn't even the consensus #1 at that. I'm not knocking him, but I just don't know what people have seen that I haven't to start calling him the next Leon Sandcastle. There is a big difference btw playing Treadwell 8 yrds off and being asked to get in Justin Hunter's face. I would think that if this move has to do with the coaches' confidence in anyone it would be Poole (which would make VH3 the nickel if Watkins and Purifoy both move).

He's the #1 Cornerback on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. That to me makes him the consensus #1 CB. I don't care about the other recruiting sites.
Leroy Jenkins
Bull Gator

Postby G8RByte » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

239FLAGTR wrote:

I feel the same way. Elam was just as good in coverage but soooo much more physical that he could play at the LOS

Yep, Jaylen is nowhere near the size/weight he needs to be to play safety; even free safety....and I don't know that he has the body type to put on that kind of weight. Who the heck am I to say, Champ and the coaches know a lot more than me. I think the cupboard is just too full at corner, and they need to see if they can use him somewhere else. Receiver?
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Postby ltraz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:34 pm

G8RByte wrote:
239FLAGTR wrote:

Yep, Jaylen is nowhere near the size/weight he needs to be to play safety; even free safety....and I don't know that he has the body type to put on that kind of weight. Who the heck am I to say, Champ and the coaches know a lot more than me. I think the cupboard is just too full at corner, and they need to see if they can use him somewhere else. Receiver?

I wouldn't say it's his size (he's about the same size as RFN and has the frame for 10#), but he's just not physical. The one thing he has going for him though is that he's one of our best zone players.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby ltraz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Leroy Jenkins wrote:
ltraz wrote:Nothing against VH3, but I think some people need to slow down a bit. He was a top HIGHSCHOOL CB and wasn't even the consensus #1 at that. I'm not knocking him, but I just don't know what people have seen that I haven't to start calling him the next Leon Sandcastle. There is a big difference btw playing Treadwell 8 yrds off and being asked to get in Justin Hunter's face. I would think that if this move has to do with the coaches' confidence in anyone it would be Poole (which would make VH3 the nickel if Watkins and Purifoy both move).

He's the #1 Cornerback on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. That to me makes him the consensus #1 CB. I don't care about the other recruiting sites.

So since you don't care about other sites, that makes the fact that other people had Fuller right there with him not matter? Gotcha. Do you mind sharing what you've seen that makes you think he'll come into the SEC and lock down half the field?
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 pm

ltraz wrote:I would think that if this move has to do with the coaches' confidence in anyone it would be Poole (which would make VH3 the nickel if Watkins and Purifoy both move).

Regardless, of whether or not it's Poole or VHIII, it shows the coaches don't care much for Watkins' coverage skills.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ltraz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:19 pm

law98gator wrote:
ltraz wrote:I would think that if this move has to do with the coaches' confidence in anyone it would be Poole (which would make VH3 the nickel if Watkins and Purifoy both move).

Regardless, of whether or not it's Poole or VHIII, it shows the coaches don't care much for Watkins' coverage skills.

I think everyone can admit Watkins is serviceable. Nothing more and nothing less. He would start on half the teams in the SEC, but we have crazy talent at cb and zero experience at safety. His biggest strength is his football IQ so if he serves no other purpose than to be able to play some while the young guys get game experience so be it. Either way it's great to not need a cb like him.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

For a guy that's been hyping Driskel as Heisman material this past season, this is an odd protestation from you :?
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby GatorBart » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Leroy Jenkins wrote:

I don't know what to make of any of it, other than that we are stacked at CB with Roberson, Purifoy, Poole and VH3. Watkins is the odd guy out and looks to be moving to Safety where we need upperclassmen leadership and in-game experience (even though that experience is not at Safety). We have a ton of young Safety talent with Mayes, Gorman, Showers, Ledbetter, Harris, Neal and Washington. Washington is also a potential to play both Safety and CB. I probably missed somebody obvious on that list; if so, my apologies.
Is Jeremy Brown still on the team or did he go to BC with Patchan to play for an 8th year?
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

GatorBart wrote:Is Jeremy Brown still on the team or did he go to BC with Patchan to play for an 8th year?

Great question. Is he still around?
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum