Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, rogdochar and 18 guests

"We had the big fish on the hook, and we let 'em off"...

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

"We had the big fish on the hook, and we let 'em off"...

Postby Gatorious » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:38 pm

So I was listening to local (NOLA) sports radio today and they had the coach for UL Lafayette on for a segment to tell people about the state of the program, etc.. Blah, blah...then a question from the interviewer asks about the UF/UL game. "How bad was that loss for you to come so close? Was it devastating emotionally to go into the Swamp, the number 3 team in the country, outplay them, and play far better than LSU did there, and come away with a loss?"

Replies- "Well, I tell my players that its a 60 minute game. We played well enough to win for 59 and a half minutes. I give Florida all the credit in the world, but we had the big fish on the hook, and we let 'em off". Interview soon ended, but in closing, hosts said 'ULL is a rising program and one day soon they'll land that fish'.
grip
a. Intellectual hold; understanding: a good grip on French history.
b. Ability to function properly or well; competence: getting a grip on the new technique.
c. Mental or emotional composure: lost his grip after he was fired.
Gatorious
All-American Gator

Re: "We had the big fish on the hook, and we let 'em off"...

Postby MJMGator » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Can't really argue with anything he said. We were fortunate to escape with that a win in that one!
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby 8802gator » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

He's right. We found a way to win that game when we were outplayed for 59 mins like he said.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Outplayed ? Wasn't the score tied ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorInGeorgia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 pm

rogdochar wrote:Outplayed ? Wasn't the score tied ?

Yes we were outplayed. We did tie the score with under 2 minutes to go but we were fortunate to even be able to tie it at that point in the game. ULL had driven to our 5 yard line early in the 4th quarter but had to settle for a FG. A touchdown on that drive makes it 24-13 ULL instead of 20-13.

We were outplayed and were lucky to win that game plain and simple.
GatorInGeorgia
True Gator

Postby Leroy Jenkins » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Glad I missed the game from the sounds of it. Did watch the last 2 minutes on tivo when i got back home from atlanta.
Leroy Jenkins
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 am

GatorInGeorgia wrote:

Yes we were outplayed. We did tie the score with under 2 minutes to go but we were fortunate to even be able to tie it at that point in the game. ULL had driven to our 5 yard line early in the 4th quarter but had to settle for a FG. A touchdown on that drive makes it 24-13 ULL instead of 20-13.

This gives a truer picture. A team can outplay us and lose, but that
requires that they convert more 3rd downs, or get at least more
something than we got --- other than the more fumbles-lost and the
more penalties, etc as shown in the box-score.

UF to ULL
1st downs 16 to 12
rushing ...149 to 96
passing ... 162 to 171
total yds ... 311 to 267
Fumbles ... 1/0 to 2/1
Penalties ... 2 to 4
Score ...... 27 to 20

I realize we were in a 'coulda' lost position, but we were really in
a tie off which we beat them and they did not beat us. Hanging with
us, reaching for an upset is what really happened. Sure, not anything
for our guys to beat their chests about. Can't see letting their wishing
HC, throw us into a Gator-downing-dance. :question:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

It is an effin shame that we are reduced to bragging about getting 4 more 1st downs and 9 more passing yards than a G#$@ D@$@ directional Louisiana team.

Something needs to be down about the fvkktarded offense. There is no excuse for the steaming pile of **** that is our offense.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Slevin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 am

law98gator wrote:It is an effin shame that we are reduced to bragging about getting 4 more 1st downs and 9 more passing yards than a G#$@ D@$@ directional Louisiana team.

Something needs to be down about the fvkktarded offense. There is no excuse for the steaming pile of **** that is our offense.

Absolutely right. Coaches are a bunch of dumbasses. They should be out recruiting 5 wr's and 3 rb's and a ton of well established OLinemen from other programs. But nope. They are sitting on their fingers and twirling. What idiots.
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby WhoGator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 am

GatorInGeorgia wrote:

Yes Rog, you are correct. The game was tied and we were not outplayed.
Yes, we played bad.
Yes, we could have lost.
Those things happen and good teams overcome them.

But we out offensed them, out special teamed them, out defensed them and out coached them. Not counting the blocked punts, we caused the only turnover in the game. Unfortunately, like we did all season, we also out penaltied them, which killed drives. We also didn't protect our QB. Driskel was 13-16, rushed for 93, but was sacked three times and got hurt. Brissett was 6-8 and was sacked twice. They converted 2 third downs the entire game. They had just 1 touchdown drive, their other TD came on a blocked punt.

As for they almost scored a touchdown to make it 24-13, they didn't score it. In fact, we even out almost-touchdowned them. Yes, our defense stepped up in the fourth when they were on the 5 to force a FG. But we also had to kick a FG from the 4 when we threw a bad pass on a reverse where it wasn't the ULL defense that stepped up, we just didn't execute.

They "had the big fish on the hook" but it was because we played down to their level. At no time did I feel they outplayed us and the better team wound up winning in regulation... Without the blocked punt at the end, the better team would have won in OT.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 am

Yep "Law" nothing to beat our chest about. It was surely a "whew" win.
And correct, the offense we grew into to beat LSU the way we did
just shriveled away ... absolutely disappeared so much our bravado
prior to the FSU game was tenuous. And then that offense showed
up again. A Jekyll and Hyde Offense ... of mostly hide.

Our defense will be fine and exciting. But QB JD better improve in
several crucial areas or I hope someone else does and beats him out.
The Florida Gators are a team of productive offense and shut-down
defense. GatorNation should not have to suffer through another
season of constipated offense... of profuse confusion.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 am

law98gator wrote:It is an effin shame that we are reduced to bragging about getting 4 more 1st downs and 9 more passing yards than a G#$@ D@$@ directional Louisiana team.

And yes... it's nothing to brag about. But that's been our offense the last two years. We improved significantly from 2011 to 2012 (note 0 TO's in the game) and are working to improve the offense more in 2013.

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby GatorInGeorgia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 am

rogdochar wrote:
GatorInGeorgia wrote:

This gives a truer picture. A team can outplay us and lose, but that
requires that they convert more 3rd downs, or get at least more
something than we got
--- other than the more fumbles-lost and the
more penalties, etc as shown in the box-score.

UF to ULL
1st downs 16 to 12
rushing ...149 to 96
passing ... 162 to 171
total yds ... 311 to 267
Fumbles ... 1/0 to 2/1
Penalties ... 2 to 4
Score ...... 27 to 20

I realize we were in a 'coulda' lost position, but we were really in
a tie off which we beat them and they did not beat us. Hanging with
us, reaching for an upset is what really happened. Sure, not anything
for our guys to beat their chests about. Can't see letting their wishing
HC, throw us into a Gator-downing-dance. :question:

Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my original post. It seems like splitting hairs to me but let me re-phrase it this way. We were outplayed for 58 minutes of the game. ULL did get something more than we got in that time-POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD. Your statistics confirm my point. They were almost dead even with us in the categories you list above and were able to put more points on the board than we did, save the last two minutes. It's not all about how many yards you rack up rushing or receiving-it's about efficiently putting points on the board and putting more of them on the board than your opponent. As as side bar to the stats debate, if you back out the passing yards on Florida's game tying drive, they outpassed us 171 yards to 114 yards. We did come back and win the game which is what the record books will always show, but to Law's point in this post, to be arguing that because we ended up with a few more rushing yards and first downs than our opponent that this indicates we somehow outplayed them is incorrect IMHO. We were playing a directional school on our home field. They had a touchdown lead with 2 minutes to go. They had the ball with less than a minute to go and the score tied. A 30 yard drive by them followed by a field goal and they win the game. No excuse for that.
GatorInGeorgia
True Gator

Postby GatorInGeorgia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 am

WhoGator wrote:
GatorInGeorgia wrote:

Yes Rog, you are correct. The game was tied and we were not outplayed.
Yes, we played bad.
Yes, we could have lost.
Those things happen and good teams overcome them.

But we out offensed them, out special teamed them, out defensed them and out coached them. Not counting the blocked punts, we caused the only turnover in the game. Unfortunately, like we did all season, we also out penaltied them, which killed drives. We also didn't protect our QB. Driskel was 13-16, rushed for 93, but was sacked three times and got hurt. Brissett was 6-8 and was sacked twice. They converted 2 third downs the entire game. They had just 1 touchdown drive, their other TD came on a blocked punt.

As for they almost scored a touchdown to make it 24-13, they didn't score it. In fact, we even out almost-touchdowned them. Yes, our defense stepped up in the fourth when they were on the 5 to force a FG. But we also had to kick a FG from the 4 when we threw a bad pass on a reverse where it wasn't the ULL defense that stepped up, we just didn't execute.

They "had the big fish on the hook" but it was because we played down to their level. At no time did I feel they outplayed us and the better team wound up winning in regulation... Without the blocked punt at the end, the better team would have won in OT.

We got the win, I'm grateful for that. To say we outscored them would be correct but I would disagree with saying that we out offensed them, out defenced them and out special teamed them.

What I do find insane about your post is to say we outcoached them. :rolleyes: They came into our stadium as a massive underdog, they don't have anywhere near the talent we have, they shouldn't have been within 28 points of us midway through the fourth and their coaching staff has them ahead by 7 with less than 2 minutes to play and then they have them with the ball, less than a minute to go and the opportunity to drive 30 or so yards and take a shot at a game winning field goal. And you say that we outcoached them??? Seriously, I need some of what you're smoking. You can fall back on the "but they didn't make the game winning drive and they didn't score the game winning points" argument all you want but that's just turning a blind eye to reality. We were lucky to win that game. We didn't outcoach anybody that game and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone within the UF football program that would agree with your statement.
GatorInGeorgia
True Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 am

Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my original post. It seems like splitting hairs to me but let me re-phrase it this way. We were outplayed for 58 minutes of the game. ULL did get something more than we got in that time-POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD. Your statistics confirm my point. They were almost dead even with us in the categories you list above and were able to put more points on the board than we did, save the last two minutes.

You are correct Georgia... using your logic, we were outplayed. I'm glad I had what I was smoking, cause it allowed me to enjoy the season watching us outplay 11 of our 13 opponents. You may have missed it, but that was basically our MO all season long... falling behind, regrouping and finding a way to win.

Using your logic we were outplayed in 9 of 13 games... Amazing we were bowl eligible. Bowling Green outplayed us for 39 minutes until we took the lead late in the 3rd period. A&M outplayed us for 47 minutes, Tennessee for 45 minutes, LSU for 47 minutes, Vandy for 19 minutes, Missouri for 47 minutes, Lafayette for 59 minutes and even the Clowns outplayed us, for 49 minutes.

Fortunately the games are 60 minutes, not 45, 47 or even 59. If what you say is true and the only thing that matters is POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD, my 2012 Gators were only outplayed against Georgia and Louisville.

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby GatorInGeorgia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 am

WhoGator wrote:
Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my original post. It seems like splitting hairs to me but let me re-phrase it this way. We were outplayed for 58 minutes of the game. ULL did get something more than we got in that time-POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD. Your statistics confirm my point. They were almost dead even with us in the categories you list above and were able to put more points on the board than we did, save the last two minutes.

You are correct Georgia... using your logic, we were outplayed. I'm glad I had what I was smoking, cause it allowed me to enjoy the season watching us outplay 11 of our 13 opponents. You may have missed it, but that was basically our MO all season long... falling behind, regrouping and finding a way to win.

Using your logic we were outplayed in 9 of 13 games... Amazing we were bowl eligible. Bowling Green outplayed us for 39 minutes until we took the lead late in the 3rd period. A&M outplayed us for 47 minutes, Tennessee for 45 minutes, LSU for 47 minutes, Vandy for 19 minutes, Missouri for 47 minutes, Lafayette for 59 minutes and even the Clowns outplayed us, for 49 minutes.

Fortunately the games are 60 minutes, not 45, 47 or even 59. If what you say is true and the only thing that matters is POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD, my 2012 Gators were only outplayed against Georgia and Louisville.

I'm not sure what part of my posts in this entire thread where I acknowledged that it's a 60 minute game you didn't understand. Everybody knows we won the game in the last 40 seconds and I've acknowledged as much.

You're missing the bigger picture here. Truth be told, most of the games you're using as your benchmark weren't close in the closing minutes of the game. For the most part, Florida had these games in hand late in the 4th quarter. Ignoring that fact, for you to compare ULL to TAM, LSU, FSU, Missouri, Vandy, etc is ridiculous. The level of competition is not even close. My point quite simply is that when the statistics are as close as they were against a far inferior team on our home field and we are losing by a touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go, we have been outplayed by that inferior team. They've put more points on the board, they've been more efficient than we were and they've done so with much less talent on the road in a hostile environment. When you go on the road against an evenly matched TAM team and the game is tight throughout but you win the game, it's a gutsy victory. Ditto Tenn, FSU, Vandy (who all, while not as good as TAM, still field much better teams that ULL) and the LSU game at home.
GatorInGeorgia
True Gator

Postby scmike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 am

I totally agree with Law98Gator. Our guys should have smoked ULL. Our offense sucked most of last season regardless of how one wants to coin it.
Our Gators were awful against UGA again and Charlie Strong's boys humiliated us. If our offense stinks again this year, Pease needs to go, and if we loose to UGA again this year WM needs to go. the UGA folks already believe firmly that they have our number because an UGA guy is our coach. I like WM, but losing to UGA is unacceptable. Saw enough of it in the 70s and 80s
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am

scmike wrote:I totally agree with Law98Gator. Our guys should have smoked ULL. Our offense sucked most of last season regardless of how one wants to coin it.
Our Gators were awful against UGA again and Charlie Strong's boys humiliated us. If our offense stinks again this year, Pease needs to go, and if we loose to UGA again this year WM needs to go. the UGA folks already believe firmly that they have our number because an UGA guy is our coach. I like WM, but losing to UGA is unacceptable. Saw enough of it in the 70s and 80s

dumbass
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm

WhoGator wrote:And yes... it's nothing to brag about. But that's been our offense the last two years.

Last three years. We've been 100+ for THREE frickin years.

Maybe in 2015.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gatorious » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Yep, three years of garbage offense...inexcusable is right. Getting embarrassed by Louisville was the coup de' grace.

Other comments he made:

Recruiting- "We have a talent rich state, and the whole south really. Just drive I-10 and get off at any exit from Fla. to Texas".

Since many of you are bringing up TAM, and this is SEC relevant retroactively, I recall a game about 10 years ago. Now mind you it has nothing to do with 'now' programs, but in that game, of course TAM was heavily favored. Game was played at UL. It was one of those Thurs. night ESPN games. TAM was ranked 18ish. Well, as time ran down, upset was in the making. Crowd was anxious, energy barely contained in the crowd. UL wins and the UL students rush the field. The stadium was cleared and everyone was on the field. ESPN stayed broadcasting for the post coverage. The fans pulled out the goalposts and carried the out of the stadium. Fun stuff.

Point is yes, sometimes this happens. But anyone who cannot admit we (UF) have a persistent, nagging, inescapable issue and pattern of under performing or impotence, is whistling past the graveyard. Abysmal.
grip
a. Intellectual hold; understanding: a good grip on French history.
b. Ability to function properly or well; competence: getting a grip on the new technique.
c. Mental or emotional composure: lost his grip after he was fired.
Gatorious
All-American Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum