Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 15 guests

Shameless Sun coverage

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Shameless Sun coverage

Postby gatorspook » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Mississippi is the #16 team in the country. They have the most interesting player in the nation. You'd think there would be coverage of them.

KB had an obligatory quote from Henderson. Dooley had a quick quote from Kennedy. Both mailed it in, obviously.

But in the column on Murphy, there was actually this quote:

Holloway and the rest of his Rebel teammates came to realize how deadly Murphy is on the offensive end as well.

But then there followed no quotes from Holloway or anyone else...did the writer simply leave them out? Or did they make that up totally?

Absolutely shameless.

Can't they get Zach to take a few minutes off recruiting and go ask a few questions in the rebel locker room?
gatorspook

Re: Shameless Sun coverage

Postby rogdochar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm

The Sun's not so bright. :(
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby jagator0 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Umm. It's the Gainesville Sun, not the Oxford Sun. People want quotes from the Gators.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby Speedytilian87 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Read a different newspaper.
Gator Since: 2006
Alumni: UF Poli Sci '10
Dorm: Weaver
High School City: Deerfield Beach
Current City: Gainesville

Speedytilian87
Senior Gator

Postby gatorspook » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

jagator0 wrote:Umm. It's the Gainesville Sun, not the Oxford Sun. People want quotes from the Gators.

Only myopic fans want quotes from only gators...

Yes, there are other papers, but you'd think the sun would have more complete coverage.
gatorspook

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 pm

gatorspook wrote:
jagator0 wrote:Umm. It's the Gainesville Sun, not the Oxford Sun. People want quotes from the Gators.

Yes, there are other papers, but you'd think the sun would have more complete coverage.

Agreed, when it involves a team I'm interested in, such as UF, I'm more interested in what the opposition has to say than my guys. I want to know what the other guys think of my team, how much respect they have.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby gatorspook » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Class of '78 wrote:
gatorspook wrote:

Agreed, when it involves a team I'm interested in, such as UF, I'm more interested in what the opposition has to say than my guys. I want to know what the other guys think of my team, how much respect they have.

Maybe it's our generation...where we only had a game-of-the-week to watch...but I enjoy knowing more about the other teams. I am fairly well versed in the SEC as a whole...all I know.
gatorspook

Postby Leroy Jenkins » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 pm

I agree with you, Spook.
Leroy Jenkins
Bull Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:18 am

Sports journalism at a news site? What a novel idea.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 am

Apparently not as important as dumbass Dooley's Ipod.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby The RH Factor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 am

gardnerwebbalumnigator wrote:Apparently not as important as dumbass Dooley's Ipod.

I think the big news for the week was he had to have his dog put down.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby TnGatorman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 am

What is it with some people? I watched the UF/Miss game again yesterday on DVR and noticed something I did not really catch in the live airing. UM's "star" took 2 out of every three plays off and just stayed in the corner. He let his teammates do all the work on both ends of the floor. While I will agree he hit some totally unbelievable shots, I was not impressed. He could not play defense and on offense, he is not a team player - but a gunner. Our defense did a great job on him. Gunners will get their shots, but it is a sixty minute TEAM game that is played on both ends of the court.
TnGatorman
Redshirt Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 am

gatorspook wrote:

Only if they had a more complete writer, but do agree you would think they could do a better job.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator_Machine » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:45 am

The Gainesville Sun should have covered this high profile game better; especially, the weekend games. It's a little late but here are some post-game quotes for the Florida-Ole Miss game:

Florida would like everyone to know that college basketball’s leading bad boy isn’t the unhinged jerk he’s made out to be.

Marshall Henderson would like everyone to know Florida is the unhinged defensive team it’s made out to be.

That was the takeaway Saturday night as an SEC showdown turned into a mutual admiration society. Florida was so good in beating Ole Miss 78-64 that the Gators took their own crowd out of the game.

“I thought they’d be a little bit more mean than they were,” Henderson said.

It’s hard to be mean when you’re having so much fun. Henderson bombed in 25 harmless points, but there were none of the antics that have left audiences spewing venom around the SEC.

No yelling at the student section. No puffing out his shirt after sinking a clutch shot. No throwing ice back into the stands.
Henderson was so well behaved, don’t be surprised if another postgame photo surfaces on the Internet. Instead of sharing a beer with Ole Miss frat boys, Henderson will be toasting Billy Donovan’s game plan.

“They execute perfectly. They make open shots, and they make tough shots,” he said. “They’re really a good team. That’s why they’re ranked No. 4 and will probably move up. I see them being No. 1 in the country by the end of the season.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-02/florida-vs-ole-miss-stats-score-results-gators-dominate-sec-billy-donovan?modid=recommended_4_5
Gator_Machine
Freshman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Gator_Machine wrote:The Gainesville Sun should have covered this high profile game better; especially, the weekend games. It's a little late but here are some post-game quotes for the Florida-Ole Miss game:

Florida would like everyone to know that college basketball’s leading bad boy isn’t the unhinged jerk he’s made out to be.

Marshall Henderson would like everyone to know Florida is the unhinged defensive team it’s made out to be.

That was the takeaway Saturday night as an SEC showdown turned into a mutual admiration society. Florida was so good in beating Ole Miss 78-64 that the Gators took their own crowd out of the game.

“I thought they’d be a little bit more mean than they were,” Henderson said.

It’s hard to be mean when you’re having so much fun. Henderson bombed in 25 harmless points, but there were none of the antics that have left audiences spewing venom around the SEC.

No yelling at the student section. No puffing out his shirt after sinking a clutch shot. No throwing ice back into the stands.
Henderson was so well behaved, don’t be surprised if another postgame photo surfaces on the Internet. Instead of sharing a beer with Ole Miss frat boys, Henderson will be toasting Billy Donovan’s game plan.

“They execute perfectly. They make open shots, and they make tough shots,” he said. “They’re really a good team. That’s why they’re ranked No. 4 and will probably move up. I see them being No. 1 in the country by the end of the season.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-02/florida-vs-ole-miss-stats-score-results-gators-dominate-sec-billy-donovan?modid=recommended_4_5

Nice find.

My problem is that the writer was describing how Holloway' came to realize how deadly Murphy was at the offensive end, despite the fact that the writer obviously never even talked to Holloway. That is just shameless.
gatorspook

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 pm

The Sun has a couple of elderly folks who have been there way too long. I don't care about their personal life, their ipod, etc. The decent coverage has always come from younger and more energetic reporters who move on. What the Sun needs is to retire the high paid older reporters and replace them with younger, cheaper, and better alternatives. With a good UF journalism department there should be plenty of talent to choose from.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 pm

vulcan_alex wrote:The Sun has a couple of elderly folks who have been there way too long. I don't care about their personal life, their ipod, etc. The decent coverage has always come from younger and more energetic reporters who move on. What the Sun needs is to retire the high paid older reporters and replace them with younger, cheaper, and better alternatives. With a good UF journalism department there should be plenty of talent to choose from.

You're being harsh on poor bastards who are the last holdovers of a dying industry. No need to kick the last dinosaur.
gatorspook

Postby Mainland_Buc75 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 pm

TnGatorman wrote:Gunners will get their shots, but it is a sixty minute TEAM game that is played on both ends of the court.

It's actually 40 minutes, but I agree with your sentiment. The last Georgia game seemed like 60 with all of the pointless Dawg timeouts at the end.
Mainland_Buc75
Senior Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:51 pm

gatorspook wrote:
vulcan_alex wrote:The Sun has a couple of elderly folks who have been there way too long. I don't care about their personal life, their ipod, etc. The decent coverage has always come from younger and more energetic reporters who move on. What the Sun needs is to retire the high paid older reporters and replace them with younger, cheaper, and better alternatives. With a good UF journalism department there should be plenty of talent to choose from.

You're being harsh on poor bastards who are the last holdovers of a dying industry. No need to kick the last dinosaur.

Oh come on, there's nothing wrong with getting rid of people who mail it in just for a paycheck. It's time to reward those who actually work for something.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby BostonGator84 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 pm

When I was in 8th grade at Westwood (15 years ago), I was writing a sports article for the school newspaper. I called Dooley up to get a couple quotes from him for the article I was writing. He seemed like a really nice guy and humored a middle school kid who obviously had no idea what was going on about journalism. I respect him for that, and have no problem with him continuing to work at the Sun.
BostonGator84
True Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum