Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The RH Factor and 31 guests

About walk ons...

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

About walk ons...

Postby UGator » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 am

Remember the days of the Nebraska Cornhusker juggernaut under Tom Osborne and the "black shirts" and the run it down your throat mentality. We found out about them in '95 at the Fiesta Bowl when they bludgeoned us 62-24 and we had no chance to man up with them. Their physicality overwhelmed their opponents, and it wasn't just because of their option offense.

They had a walk on program that fed into the roster and provided good scout team players and more than an average number that earned scholarships and helped the Big Red thrive. I wonder if Coach Bo Pelini at Nebraska is still doing any of this? If not, he might need to consider it once again.

Every top school seems to miss on needed talent in recruiting each year, so has any school tried to develop a genuine walk on program, if legal, that could provide some answers to limited depth in rosters. Not just a hit and miss effort, but a real program to find the diamonds in the rough kind of talent that never was discovered in high school?

Just wondering.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Re: ABOUT WALK ONS

Postby The RH Factor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 am

Some schools have what I call 'recruiting gimmicks''.

In Nebraska's case, if you are (or at least this is the way it was) a high school student and went to Nebraska, your tuition is free. (Imagine if this was true at Florida.) So, all of their players from Nebraska are walk-ons.

Jackie Sherrill's gimmick at Mississippi State was that most of his players were JuCos, so his teams were loaded with upperclassmen.

Johnny Majors gimmick at Pitt was that they opened up the checkbook and he recruited 70 players his first year. He redshirted half the class, so in his fourth season, they were loaded with upperclassmen and won the national championship.

Bear Bryant's gimmick was he would have 150 players on scholarship and would bring players to Alabama so he wouldn't have to play against them.

Brigham Young's gimmick was they recruit a Mormon kid, redshirt him his freshman year, send him out on the mission field for two years, then bring him back for four years, so many of their seniors are 25 years old.

Meyer's gimmick was he focused on bringing in so many players in January so they could get the extra practice time.

Saban's gimmick is if a player hasn't panned out, at some point, he awards them a medical scholarship so he can bring in someone else who might play better.

Bobby Bowden's gimmick was his personality and his ability to persuade the player's mommas to get their son to play for him.

Florida and FSU benefit over Miami because their walk-ons pay State tuition, which is much less than Miami's tuition.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby Ga Gator » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 am

The RH Factor wrote:Some schools have what I call 'recruiting gimmicks''.

In Nebraska's case, if you are (or at least this is the way it was) a high school student and went to Nebraska, your tuition is free. (Imagine if this was true at Florida.) So, all of their players from Nebraska are walk-ons.

Jackie Sherrill's gimmick at Mississippi State was that most of his players were JuCos, so his teams were loaded with upperclassmen.

Johnny Majors gimmick at Pitt was that they opened up the checkbook and he recruited 70 players his first year. He redshirted half the class, so in his fourth season, they were loaded with upperclassmen and won the national championship.

Bear Bryant's gimmick was he would have 150 players on scholarship and would bring players to Alabama so he wouldn't have to play against them.

Brigham Young's gimmick was they recruit a Mormon kid, redshirt him his freshman year, send him out on the mission field for two years, then bring him back for four years, so many of their seniors are 25 years old.

Meyer's gimmick was he focused on bringing in so many players in January so they could get the extra practice time.

Saban's gimmick is if a player hasn't panned out, at some point, he awards them a medical scholarship so he can bring in someone else who might play better.

Bobby Bowden's gimmick was his personality and his ability to persuade the player's mommas to get their son to play for him.

Florida and FSU benefit over Miami because their walk-ons pay State tuition, which is much less than Miami's tuition.

Richt at UGA has taken over from Bowden and will promise their mommas he will have them in Church and promise every 4 and 5 star they will start.
Ga Gator
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 am

tldr
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jabberdave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am

I thought Nebraska's deal was the state awarded a scholarship to an athlete in each county of the state every year, but it wasn't an athletic scholarship from the school.

At least something like that. But I admit that I've killed a lot of braincells.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Re: About walk ons...

Postby -THE DUDE- » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 am

Nebraska's walk on program

-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

The OP should google: Nebraska football walkon program

Jabberdave wrote:I thought Nebraska's deal was the state awarded a scholarship to an athlete in each county of the state every year, but it wasn't an athletic scholarship from the school.

At least something like that. But I admit that I've killed a lot of braincells.

That's what I recall. Each county would sponsor one athlete/football player. Nebraska HS's probably only produce 20 or so D1 football players per year (who are offered scholarships). However, this program gives them an advantage, as the kid can develop into a contributor.

Walkons are needed in every program, especially linemen. They are needed for scout team & scrimmages. Most will never suit up or see the field, but are a valuable asset to the team.
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:34 pm

-THE DUDE- wrote:Nebraska's walk on program

Let's just "Dude" the truth here : Long,long before "people awareness"
of it , HGH was perfected for dairy cattle ..... Nebraska's linemen did stampede often. Worth a research history grant ?

Veterinary medicine precedes human science because researchers
can go straight to experimenting directly on the subject target.
Nebraska always had a top, "pioneering" School of Veterinary Science.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Swamp82 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Well whatever it was they beat us like they owned us that night. Of course they had a couple first class soon to be prisoners of the state to help out, the biggest being Lawrence Philips I remember I think his second year in the NFL he was caught breaking in and taking a Bowden :kiffin: in some girls closet at 2:00 in the morning and didn't even know her.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Lawrence Phillips (?) Yeah, check him for an expanded
HGH brain tumor . Seriously, those Tom Osborne-Nebraska
alums should be surveyed for excess prostate cancer, other
excess hormonally stimulated misgrowths.

And where's the research that likely will show xs steroids
lead to a 'prepounderance' of brain concussion damage.
Steroids just may make the brain susceptible to greater damage.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm

http://thisisnebraska.com/fb_walkons.php?sport=fb

Article from 2008 about Nebraska trying to revive it's walk-on program: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/sport ... .html?_r=0

It looks like Callahan (former coach, hired after they fired Solich) didn't care for the walk-on program.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/di ... 27879c5aeb

http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/offic ... ogram-5463

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... -tradition
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm

You talkin' walk-ons.
You talkin' free safety.
You talkin' two time All-American.
You talkin' Louis Oliver.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Joe, Louis Oliver was probably our greatest walk-on ever.

However, over the last 30+ years the only significant walk-ons I remember are:

Louis Oliver
Kerwin Bell
Chris Doering

Other than long-snappers, holders, kickers & punters, there haven't been many walk-ons that standout at UF.

Jon Xnydis (I know I misspelled that) and Sam McCorkle were good contributors, but nothing spectacular.

Am I missing anyone?

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 pm

BMF wrote:Joe, Louis Oliver was probably our greatest walk-on ever.

However, over the last 30+ years the only significant walk-ons I remember are:

Louis Oliver
Kerwin Bell
Chris Doering

Other than long-snappers, holders, kickers & punters, there haven't been many walk-ons that standout at UF.

Jon Xnydis (I know I misspelled that) and Sam McCorkle were good contributors, but nothing spectacular.

Am I missing anyone?

---

BMF, our walk-off have outnumbered our walk-ons.

But look at these:

Allen Trammell -- end and defensive back, last of the two-way players for Ray Graves.

John James -- great punter for Doug Dickey

Lee McGriff -- great receiver for Doug Dickey

Coach Dickey liked walk-ons because he was one himself. He crossed the street from P.K. Yonge High School as a walk-on and became a defensive back and then a quarterback for the Gators.

There have been others, I know. What would be interesting if someone could come up with an all-time Gator great walk-on team, but I don't know if there were enough good walk-ons to field every position.

One potential walk-on safety was Will Muschamp. We all know Will grew up in Gainesville and his dad was head master at Oak Hall School. But then the family moved back to Georgia where they originally came from, and Muschamp's father, Larry, assumed a position at the Darlington School in Rome, Georgia.

Will had broke his leg playing baseball, so because of his injury schools were reluctant to recruit him. His folks drove him down to Gainesville for a meeting with Gator football coach, it might have been Spurrier, I can't remember. Muschamp went to the meeting place, but the Gator coach never showed up. So a dejected Will Muschamp went back to Rome, Georgia with his parents. He ended walking on at Georgia and eventually won a scholarship.

So because of his personal history, I bet Will Muschamp has a place in his heart for walk-on.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Joe, yes...the Will Muschamp story is well documented. It's a shame he wasn't a Gator player. Your list has 2 players...and a punter....and they are from well, well over 30 years ago. My point was simply that we haven't had many walk-ons do much at UF.

Here's another walk-on (who didn't do much at UF): Gene Chizik

Wasn't Brian Schottenhiemer a walk-on?

And how could I forget Noah Brindise?? BTW, why isn't he in coaching anymore?

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:49 pm

BMF wrote:Joe, yes...the Will Muschamp story is well documented. It's a shame he wasn't a Gator player. Your list has 2 players...and a punter....and they are from well, well over 30 years ago. My point was simply that we haven't had many walk-ons do much at UF.

---

I totally agree with you BMF. Walk-ons are a long shot. You don't build a winning program depending on walk-ons. But it is good to try to remember some of the walk-ons that did make it.

And yes, it would have been awesome if things had turned out differently and Muschamp and played for the Gators.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorJ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:53 am

Okeechobee Joe wrote:
BMF wrote:Joe, yes...the Will Muschamp story is well documented. It's a shame he wasn't a Gator player. Your list has 2 players...and a punter....and they are from well, well over 30 years ago. My point was simply that we haven't had many walk-ons do much at UF.

---

I totally agree with you BMF. Walk-ons are a long shot. You don't build a winning program depending on walk-ons. But it is good to try to remember some of the walk-ons that did make it.

And yes, it would have been awesome if things had turned out differently and Muschamp and played for the Gators.

The point of walk-ons isn't to take roster spots. It's to add competition, simulate other players/teams, and add depth to the "practice" squad. Sometimes you find a gem. But more than likely you will not.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 am

gatorJ wrote:
Okeechobee Joe wrote:

---

The point of walk-ons isn't to take roster spots. It's to add competition, simulate other players/teams, and add depth to the "practice" squad. Sometimes you find a gem. But more than likely you will not.

Agree about the walk-ons purpose. However, it does seem we've had very little luck with finding a few "gems".

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:17 pm

We also don't have each county sending us one player and a nice bovine steroid program.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MJMGator » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Okeechobee Joe wrote:Image

You talkin' walk-ons.
You talkin' free safety.
You talkin' two time All-American.
You talkin' Louis Oliver.

One of my all-time favorites. Dude hit receivers coming over the middle like they just violated his mother! :madevil:
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum