Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, bradgator2, CivilGator, Class of '78, Clawhammergator, gatormoe1, gatorpe, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, WobbleGator and 51 guests

Move the Rowdy Reptiles?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Move the Rowdy Reptiles?

Postby travy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 pm

why can't we switch our student section to the other side so they can face the cameras? i think it would be a real selling point for the program to see our very enthusiastic fans more. duke has benefitted from this for years with the cameron crazies and i think our rowdy reptiles could do the same for us. at least get the motorized scooter crowd out of the front row.. let's make this happen!
travy
True Gator

Re: move the rowdy reptiles?

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 pm

And that's a travy-savy marketing ploy. Well-scoped sir.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Of course, the blockage may be the massive Federal red-tape in
moving that many Gators from their habitat.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WhoGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm

travy wrote:why can't we switch our student section to the other side so they can face the cameras? i think it would be a real selling point for the program to see our very enthusiastic fans more.

Why??? What drives decisions in the athletic program? $$$$
The most lucrative seats are behind the Gator bench... do you want to sell them to alumni or give them to students?

Also, it might be an SEC rule that students not sit behind the visiting bench. That's also why in football, the visiting team gets those first few rows of the student section.
I remember in the early days of the O'Dome when there were students there, they would get so loud during timeouts that the opposing coaches would always take all the chairs out to the free throw line to huddle.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm

WhoGator wrote:
travy wrote:why can't we switch our student section to the other side so they can face the cameras? i think it would be a real selling point for the program to see our very enthusiastic fans more.

The most lucrative seats are behind the Gator bench... do you want to sell them to alumni or give them to students?

Also, it might be an SEC rule that students not sit behind the visiting bench. That's also why in football, the visiting team gets those first few rows of the student section.
I remember in the early days of the O'Dome when there were students there, they would get so loud during timeouts that the opposing coaches would always take all the chairs out to the free throw line to huddle.

I understand where travy is coming from. We could put the students on the other side and easily move the bench and expensive ticket holders to the side the students are now. I believe that's actually how Duke has it.

Obviously, we can't move the TV cameras to the other side as the logo would be upside down.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:10 pm

NVGator wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

I understand where travy is coming from. We could put the students on the other side and easily move the bench and expensive ticket holders to the side the students are now. I believe that's actually how Duke has it.

Obviously, we can't move the TV cameras to the other side as the logo would be upside down.

Sure you could, after all the logo is new and could be replaced. Easier than getting a lot of long term season ticket holders re-trained. I wonder if there is some other atributes deciding which side the cameras are on.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby WhoGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm

vulcan_alex wrote:
NVGator wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

Sure you could, after all the logo is new and could be replaced. Easier than getting a lot of long term season ticket holders re-trained. I wonder if there is some other atributes deciding which side the cameras are on.

You want to see the coaches and the benches in the background, not the media and the talking heads.

WhoGator
True Gator

Re: Move the Rowdy Reptiles?

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the reason they show the Crazies in Cameron is because of the design of the building. Either that or TV crews do it on purpose to show them. The Rowdies are awesome, but don't even hold a candle to the Crazies. If they want to be on TV, get crazier.

Kinda like this.

:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby PowerGator79 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

You don't have to move anybody. Just move the TV camera to the other side of the O'Dome. It can be done during the $50 million remodel.

Flip the floor decals too.

There are cameras throughout the building that can be used to show the benches during the games. During time outs both team go to the foul lines to strategize anyway.
PowerGator79
Freshman Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

How about more enthusiastic alumni???
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 pm

NVGator wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

Turn the court around. It's just big pieces and it doesn't have to face the way it does.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Jabberdave wrote:
NVGator wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

Turn the court around. It's just big pieces and it doesn't have to face the way it does.

That's true, it can be done. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of a camera area, or landing, that was only on one side.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:57 pm

NVGator wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:
NVGator wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

That's true, it can be done. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of a camera area, or landing, that was only on one side.

Well, the camera "stand" or "nest" for lack of a better term, is on the student side at the top of the Dome. I'm guessing that everything, including press row, would have to move to accommodate benches? It would be possible during the renovation, but that doesn't change the exterior. I think the south side of the Dome is the best place logistically for the students to enter. There isn't a ticket booth on that side so then you'd have old folks like me walking over in the middle of hot young co-eds just to get tickets.

Well, if I were buying at the game. But that doesn't stop me from walking amongst them.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby travy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:06 pm

found the sec rule on this:

...Visiting team benches may not be placed in front of or adjacent to the home institution’s band or student section. The visiting team’s bench shall be located either on the opposite side of the court or on the opposite side of the court from the student section and band.

similar to football. not sure what the acc rule is but cameras at duke face the press row side.. seems more complicate than i thought but i still think our crowd deserves to be on screen and would look great for the program.
travy
True Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm

travy wrote:found the sec rule on this:

...Visiting team benches may not be placed in front of or adjacent to the home institution’s band or student section. The visiting team’s bench shall be located either on the opposite side of the court or on the opposite side of the court from the student section and band.

similar to football. not sure what the acc rule is but cameras at duke face the press row side.. seems more complicate than i thought but i still think our crowd deserves to be on screen and would look great for the program.

Agreed.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 pm

As Jabber said, sounds like the easiest solution would be to flip the court and move the camera "nest" to the side behind the benches. Crowds and players stay the same, just the court and camera stand moves.

Easy peasy, lemon squizey.
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby PowerGator79 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm

NVGator wrote:As Jabber said, sounds like the easiest solution would be to flip the court and move the camera "nest" to the side behind the benches. Crowds and players stay the same, just the court and camera stand moves.

Jabber said? Try reading ALL the posts. I suggested this way before he did.

And it's squeezy. WTF is squizey?
PowerGator79
Freshman Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 pm

PowerGator79 wrote:
NVGator wrote:As Jabber said, sounds like the easiest solution would be to flip the court and move the camera "nest" to the side behind the benches. Crowds and players stay the same, just the court and camera stand moves.

Calm the Fvck down, Margrette. Damn. I read the whole thread and my conversation was with Jabs.

:rolleyes:
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorBart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 pm

PowerGator79 wrote:

Wrong. You said flip the floor decals. Jabber said flip the whole floor since it comes in pieces. There's a difference.
Does it really matter? Not at all. But before you go off on someone, maybe you should re-read what you posted.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby PowerGator79 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm

GatorBart wrote:
PowerGator79 wrote:

Wrong. You said flip the floor decals. Jabber said flip the whole floor since it comes in pieces. There's a difference.
Does it really matter? Not at all. But before you go off on someone, maybe you should re-read what you posted.

"You don't have to move anybody. Just move the TV camera to the other side of the O'Dome. It can be done during the $50 million remodel.

Flip the floor decals too."

Boy Bart, you are really stupid. Look at what I wrote again. I pasted it for you but if you need help:

"Just move the TV camera to the other side of the O'Dome."

AND flip the decals around.

Sorry that you are not capable of simple reading comprehension.
PowerGator79
Freshman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum