Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clawhammergator, GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, ReelGatorDoc, Swamp Queen, WobbleGator and 66 guests

Florida, the best basketball team in America?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Florida, the best basketball team in America?

Postby GatorJaws » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:04 am

GatorJaws
Baby Gator

Re: Florida, the best basketball team in America?

Postby vulcan_alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 am

Very difficult to tell since the SEC teams look fair to poor. I wonder how some of our out of conf. teams are doing, but too lazy to check.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 am

Her is an interesting stat for the board to consider.

Last year's Kentucky team that won a national championship while barely breaking a sweat was +102 in point differential in their first seven SEC games.

Florida right now is +198. That's with Donovan emptying his bench in most of those games, or it could be even worse. For example, last night Carolina outscored us 10-4 to end the game after Billy emptied the bench. A&M out-scored us 9-0 to end that game.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

At this moment in time, I would say yes....but, January basketball is like Peyton Manning's passing stats in October....it only matters how we play in the tournaments.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 am

vulcan_alex wrote:Very difficult to tell since the SEC teams look fair to poor. I wonder how some of our out of conf. teams are doing, but too lazy to check.

Marquette... now ranked and tied with Syracuse atop the Big East.
Wisconsin... win at Indiana but generally up and down playing the hard part of their Big 10 schedule.
FSU... Sucxs, won on a buzzer beater vs Maryland last night.
Arizona... 17-2, Top 10
Kansas State... 16-4, #11 until a loss vs. #1/#2 Kansas last Saturday
Air Force... 13-6, 4-2 in tough Mountain West after OT loss to Top 20 UNLV
UCF... 15-5, 5-1 record leads Conf USA
Savannah State... second in MEAC at 5-1 (now I'm reaching, I better stop)

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Gouryella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

vulcan_alex wrote:Very difficult to tell since the SEC teams look fair to poor. I wonder how some of our out of conf. teams are doing, but too lazy to check.

Not sure if you mean how SEC teams did OOC or UF opponents?

The SEC was terrible OOC. They ranked like 6th or 7th overall as a conference. While we are destroying teams, in the big picture, the SEC is considered crappy this year.

I still think we are a great team. But those Zona and K State games should act as a small reminder.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

The Zona and K-State games were on the road. Last time I checked, they don't play home games in the tournament.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby mrgator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am

Gouryella wrote:

The SEC was terrible OOC. They ranked like 6th or 7th overall as a conference. While we are destroying teams, in the big picture, the SEC is considered crappy this year.

I still think we are a great team. But those Zona and K State games should act as a small reminder.

This. I'm not sure we've played anyone good since the KSU game which we lost. I think our team is very, very good but we've hardly been tested with the dregs of the SEC. Even Missouri lost to lowly LSU so what does that mean about our win against them? Still, it's not like we are barely beating these bad SEC teams. We are pretty much crushing each one of them. It's almost like extended practice time where players can get minutes.

I wonder how much our transfers are helping this team? I was wondering that last night when the announcers mentioned our transfers waiting in the wing to play next year. I'm sure they help to give great competition to our 1st string. :)
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 am

Yes we are
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby Swamp Queen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am

jagator0 wrote:Her is an interesting stat for the board to consider.

Last year's Kentucky team that won a national championship while barely breaking a sweat was +102 in point differential in their first seven SEC games.

Florida right now is +198.
That's with Donovan emptying his bench in most of those games, or it could be even worse. For example, last night Carolina outscored us 10-4 to end the game after Billy emptied the bench. A&M out-scored us 9-0 to end that game.

Not a shabby stat. The SEC is definitely down this year but that's still a big differential in scoring.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

Gouryella wrote:

They should, but if a rematch happened today, I think the results would be different. In fact, those loses may have been what this team needed to turn it up a notch.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am

Just hope when we meet March's OOC opponents that we don't
have a "false-confidence" bubble that pops 'cause we don't pop. :rolleyes:
We need an inside power-scheme to go to. :eek: Now that plus
the greatness we already operate with would make that "Best" title
feasible. ;)

Oh, and speed passing and shoot 70% FTs instead of 50%.Always
need reserve arsenals for final 4 'reachage'.
Last edited by rogdochar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am

Sure
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby cuuf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

They may be the best team in the land, but being the best team in the land doesnt mean squat come tourney time. The seed and bracket that they get will be a better indicator of whether or not they have a chance to win it all. The tourney is all about match-ups. If they get the right bracket, with the right match-ups, they will do well. If not, ....
Who cares anymore
cuuf
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

cuuf wrote:They may be the best team in the land, but being the best team in the land doesnt mean squat come tourney time. The seed and bracket that they get will be a better indicator of whether or not they have a chance to win it all. The tourney is all about match-ups. If they get the right bracket, with the right match-ups, they will do well. If not, ....

Really? Good to know.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby mtn2top » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

It's all potential at this point. It's said all of the time, but there's a lot basketball to be played. If we can get through the season healthy, with our play makers we'll have the opportunity to establish that claim.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Jabberdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

mtn2top wrote:It's all potential at this point. It's said all of the time, but there's a lot basketball to be played. If we can get through the season healthy, with our play makers we'll have the opportunity to establish that claim.

This team hasn't been completely healthy all year yet they are STILL crushing the opposition. Even Will is still dealing with a knee. I don't know if he still has to have it drained, but he's still wearing the brace. Scottie, Mike and Kenny have been dealing with ankle issues and Eric has the rib. Poor ole Prather can't catch a break between having his head knocked around and now the high ankle sprain.

But you're right. If they are healthy when it matters most, this could be a very fun season.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby GreenevilleGator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 pm

cuuf wrote:They may be the best team in the land, but being the best team in the land doesnt mean squat come tourney time. The seed and bracket that they get will be a better indicator of whether or not they have a chance to win it all. The tourney is all about match-ups. If they get the right bracket, with the right match-ups, they will do well. If not, ....

While that is definitely true when you are the 10th best team, I don't think match-ups are as important when you are the best team. For instance, our draw made a big difference in 2006 tourney title where we didn't have to face the better teams and were in a region with a weak #1. The same thing happened last season where we avoided better teams early to advance to Elite 8. However I am absolutely convinced in 2007 we would have run the table if we had to beat UNC, UCLA, Georgetown, Kansas, Syracuse, and Ohio State to do it.

I'm not prepared to give the Gators clear #1 status right now, but I love how we are playing and the focus we have. I'd really like to see us play and win a couple of close games before March though. We have lost our only close tourney games the last 2 years, and we lost our only close game this year. We will have to win close games in the tourney, at least I think we will, and I'd like the confidence of having done it before. But if we keep playing like the past 4 weeks I'm good.
GreenevilleGator
Freshman Gator

Postby TN G8tr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 pm

I think they definitely are near the top of the list. The two losses on the road I think will benefit this team. I like how BD is scheduling OCSched and long road games to give them a feel of it.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

WhoGator wrote:

Marquette... now ranked and tied with Syracuse atop the Big East.
Wisconsin... win at Indiana but generally up and down playing the hard part of their Big 10 schedule.
FSU... Sucxs, won on a buzzer beater vs Maryland last night.
Arizona... 17-2, Top 10
Kansas State... 16-4, #11 until a loss vs. #1/#2 Kansas last Saturday
Air Force... 13-6, 4-2 in tough Mountain West after OT loss to Top 20 UNLV
UCF... 15-5, 5-1 record leads Conf USA
Savannah State... second in MEAC at 5-1 (now I'm reaching, I better stop)

Thanks this is what I was thinking of and it appears that the wins look good and the two losses not so bad.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum