Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 15 guests

Bama Antler Power

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Bama Antler Power

Postby Looneyg8r » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Report: SWATS, 'Bama players met
Updated: January 30, 2013, 12:47 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The company which says it provided deer-antler spray, a product which contains a banned substance, to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis also sold its goods to members of the 2012 national championship Alabama football team, according to a co-owner of the company.

And Christopher Key, the SWATS co-owner, told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday he personally witnessed about five Alabama players spray what he sold them into their mouths.

"I showed them how to use it," Key said.

Key said about 20 players purchased the spray at a hotel room in New Orleans leading into the BCS National Championship game against LSU. And he said he sold about 20 more bottles to players at the apartment of an Alabama player 10 days before the game.

Sports Illustrated first reported about the connection between SWATS., an Alabama-based company, and several SEC programs.

The Sports Illustrated story reported that Key filmed a sales pitch to a number of Alabama players two days before the 2012 title game in New Orleans. The article mentioned former Crimson Tide defensive lineman Quinton Dial and current players Adrian Hubbard and Alex Watkins as being part of the sales pitch.

Watkins made a YouTube testimonial for SWATS and Hubbard was filmed in the hotel room saying he had the deer-antler spray, SI reported. Deer-antler spray contains a substance, IGF-1, which is on the NFL's banned list.

"Nothing we offer them will make them fail a drug test," Key said, when asked about the substance being banned by the NCAA. "This will make you heal faster. This will give you nutrients. There have been many clinical studies."

Key said he has received cease-and-desist letters from Alabama, LSU and Auburn demanding not to use current players likenesses. "But you can't tell me I can't talk to your players," Key said. "We live in a free country."

Alabama, in a statement issued Tuesday night, said: "UA has been aware of this situation for some time, and we have monitored this company for several years. They have twice ignored cease-and-desist letters sent by our compliance office. We have maintained consistent education of our student-athletes regarding the substances in question and will continue to do so."

Key said players bought products at a rate he cited as confidential.

"They want to win," he said. "After the games they said they couldn't believe how they weren't tired and how much energy they had."

Key was quoted by SI as explaining the benefits of the spray to the Alabama players.

"You're familiar with HGH, correct? It's converted in the liver to IGF-1," Key explained, according to the Sports Illustrated report. "IGF-1, or insulin-like growth factor, is a natural, anabolic hormone that stimulates muscle growth. We have deer that we harvest out of New Zealand. Their antlers are the fastest-growing substance on planet Earth ... because of the high concentration of IGF-1.

"We've been able to freeze dry that out, extract it, put it in a sublingual spray that you shake for 20 seconds and then spray three [times] under your tongue. ... This stuff has been around for almost 1,000 years, this is stuff from the Chinese," Key said, according to the magazine.

However, a professor at Johns Hopkins University told the Baltimore Sun that, despite SWATS' claims, there isn't an acceptable scientific way that IGF-1 can be effectively delivered orally.

"If there were, a lot of people would be happy that they don't need to get shots anymore," Dr. Roberto Salvatori told the newspaper. "It's just simply not possible for it to come from a spray."

Key said he sold about 20 bottles of deer antler spray to LSU players before the regular season meeting with Alabama that year. Key said he has also provided healing hologram "chips," which are stuck to the body, to Auburn players during their national championship season and this year sold healing "bands" to players at Ole Miss and Georgia.

SI reported that the Alabama coaching staff was unaware of the meetings in the hotel room.

Key said he has initially reached out to many of his athlete clients through Facebook and Twitter. Key would not comment on which players at which schools he sold deer antler spray to this season. Key said at certain points, the strength staffs at Alabama and LSU said they did not endorse his dealings with players.

"I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble," Key said. "The whole idea is to compete without cheating. We're not bad guys."

Key said several players from SEC schools he claims to have sold products to reached out to him on Tuesday.

"They wanted more product," he said.
Looneyg8r
Senior Gator

Re: Bama Antler Power

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Looneyg8r » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Oooh, clever!

Thanks!
Looneyg8r
Senior Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

MatthewM. wrote:Image

One of the more creative MOM's I've seen around here. :lol:
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby williston_gator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

williston_gator
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Just wanted to post this for anyone interested.

MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Coach9 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Preferred growth factor.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm

God bless the USA

MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm

I really like the first flag.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 pm

MatthewM. wrote:Just wanted to post this for anyone interested.

Fine "Mattem", now unlock the closet door and let her go; she's
missing Sex-Ed class, ain't she ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm thinking Miami is off the hook and no way they look into anything BAMA related.

again, nothing to see here, move on
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby Coach9 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Actually there is something to see here.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby Coach9 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Vijay Singh has been hitting the antler hard for awhile now.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Coach9 wrote:Actually there is something to see here.

Somebody must have somebody on ignore, or something. :lol:
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Zambo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

MatthewM. wrote:Just wanted to post this for anyone interested.

That chick was flat as a board before MattM performed a clinical trial of his secret new growth product. Look for bottles of MatthewM's Magic Butt Pee on your local store's shelves soon! Available now at all GNC retailers.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 pm

FDA approved, patent pending
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum