Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNAG8R, Gatorbythebay, Google [Bot], itsgr82baflagator, Leroy Jenkins, MSNbot Media, Trung, UFever and 65 guests

Question about Billy Donovan

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Question about Billy Donovan

Postby Himey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

I saw an article within the past month that stated that Billy is still intrigued by coaching in the NBA b/c in his view, the NBA is 100% "just about coaching" and does not involve anything else.

This strikes me as curious b/c I would have to think Billy looked at what happened to Van Gundy in Orlando and thought he dodged a bullet by not having to go through that whole disaster with Dwight Howard.

That being said, how can Billy look at the Orlando fiasco and still come to the conclusion that the NBA is 100% about coaching? It seems to be anything but coaching most of the time in the NBA.
Himey
All-American Gator

Re: Question about Billy Donovan

Postby Ancient Reptile » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Perhaps BD defines stroking over-sized egos as coaching.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm

He is looking at it from a recruiting stand point. The way he said it was he likes the pro job because he can focus more of his time to just film and teaching, whereas in college he has to recruit as well. He went to say though that he still enjoys recruiting. I don't see him leaving UF for a very long time, and if any pro teams offer I am sure Foley has a blank check set aside with Billy's name on it.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

IDK but IMO, BD's most 'neon' thought will always glow as his much
admired mentor's say-so : Rick Patino's tale of personal woes,
leading him to tell Donovan "stay at Florida ... make an indelible
name for yourself ... oh, and also never accept a Kentucky offer."
This tried-true advice from the # one person caring for BD's welfare.
He also mentioned BD getting the O'dome officially named Court
Donovan. ??

Billy still has "things" to achieve here. 1) perennial top 5
2) make UF a standard choice for guys 6'11" plus. 3) more NCs
4) down-the-road hire of his son.?? any more guys ??
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm

rogdochar wrote:IDK but IMO, BD's most 'neon' thought will always glow as his much
admired mentor's say-so : Rick Patino's tale of personal woes,
leading him to tell Donovan "stay at Florida ... make an indelible
name for yourself ... oh, and also never accept a Kentucky offer."
This tried-true advice from the # one person caring for BD's welfare.
He also mentioned BD getting the O'dome officially named Court
Donovan. ??

Billy still has "things" to achieve here. 1) perennial top 5
2) make UF a standard choice for guys 6'11" plus. 3) more NCs
4) down-the-road hire of his son.?? any more guys ??

Whoa ... look at # 4). Patino hires Donovan's son, who proves his
worth at Louisville. Then UF hires Donovan's son who then gets
mentored for 15 years+ to take over as Donovan II Gator HC.
Been done before by the ? Meyers? the Thompsons. Any elses ?
AND .. would UF benefit ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby NVGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Himey wrote:I saw an article within the past month that stated that Billy is still intrigued by coaching in the NBA b/c in his view, the NBA is 100% "just about coaching" and does not involve anything else.

This strikes me as curious b/c I would have to think Billy looked at what happened to Van Gundy in Orlando and thought he dodged a bullet by not having to go through that whole disaster with Dwight Howard.

That being said, how can Billy look at the Orlando fiasco and still come to the conclusion that the NBA is 100% about coaching? It seems to be anything but coaching most of the time in the NBA.

1. Would like the link to article to read.
2. From my POV, the drafting of talent has to be just as hard as recruiting someone who will help the team. Difference with draft v. recruiting is drafting is a paid position with perhaps more scrutiny than recruiting.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby cuuf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Ultimately, it will be a decision that Billy has to make. Similar to coach K and his flirtation with the Lakers a couple of years ago, it will simply come down to the challenge i.e. can they be successful at that level.
Who cares anymore
cuuf
Heisman Gator

Postby MJMGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 pm

cuuf wrote:Ultimately, it will be a decision that Billy has to make. Similar to coach K and his flirtation with the Lakers a couple of years ago, it will simply come down to the challenge i.e. can they be successful at that level.

Agreed. Hope he stays at UF for another 25 years. He can go down as one of the all-time greatest college coaches...if he does.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby jagator0 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 pm

If he turned down UK and the Magic, what job would he accept? Who would want the Lakers? Maybe if the heat opened up.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby digitalwangsta » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Brooklyn Nets

jagator0 wrote:If he turned down UK and the Magic, what job would he accept? Who would want the Lakers? Maybe if the heat opened up.
digitalwangsta
True Gator

Postby mtn2top » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

It's not about the money for Billy D. He has financial security for his family. It has to be about basketball and the challenge and how he will measure up with other professional coaches.

Had he left and joined the Magic, people would have said it was fluke he won back to backs and more of an accomplishment of the players than the coach.

I'm delighted to see Billy is cementing his legacy as one of the greatest college coaches of all-time. This year's team is getting a lot of early recognition because of BD's past successes. Billy Donovan is getting long overdue accolades. Who knows, he may even win SEC COY for the first time.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby MJMGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm

mtn2top wrote:It's not about the money for Billy D. He has financial security for his family. It has to be about basketball and the challenge and how he will measure up with other professional coaches.

Had he left and joined the Magic, people would have said it was fluke he won back to backs and more of an accomplishment of the players than the coach.

I'm delighted to see Billy is cementing his legacy as one of the greatest college coaches of all-time. This year's team is getting a lot of early recognition because of BD's past successes. Billy Donovan is getting long overdue accolades. Who knows, he may even win SEC COY for the first time.

I know it's been said before but it is an absolute joke that he has never been voted COY. Just proves how friggin useless those "awards" are. Banners hanging in the arena are what counts!

And Billy's gotten his fair share of those!
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 pm

I think the only way he gets COY is if we go 18-0. Andy Kennedy will get it just for winning 13 or 14 games in conference simply because Ole Miss wasn't expected to be any good.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby alcoholica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:I think the only way he gets COY is if we go 18-0. Andy Kennedy will get it just for winning 13 or 14 games in conference simply because Ole Miss wasn't expected to be any good.

Agreed. Coaching awards usually go to the coaches that do more with less or do the unexpected. UF has talent every year, despite what some say on here. It was more of a joke that Parsons was the 1st POY at UF. Nothing against Parsons, but there were some better ones before him.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby DudeRanchBuddha » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 am

I thought Donovan won COY the same year Parsons won POY..?
DudeRanchBuddha
Senior Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 am

DudeRanchBuddha wrote:I thought Donovan won COY the same year Parsons won POY..?

By gosh you're right.
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am

Sasquatch Gator wrote:
DudeRanchBuddha wrote:I thought Donovan won COY the same year Parsons won POY..?

By gosh you're right.

See what happens when you take a vacation...you get off your game.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

Swamp Queen wrote:
Sasquatch Gator wrote:

By gosh you're right.

See what happens when you take a vacation...you get off your game.

Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby UGator » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am

It's a shame that the O Dome is rarely filled to capacity in spite of Billy's contribution as perhaps UF's all time greatest coach of any sport on campus.

His flirtation with the NBA is hopefully over, since millionaire owners and players are more difficult to deal with than recruiting HS players, IMHO. The money in the NBA is great, but the shelf life is short! He makes plenty now at UF, so to me, the satisfaction of developing players in college for life is more fulfilling than when the NBA influences them and many become narcissistic shadows of their former selves.

I think Spurrier found this out when he toyed with the NFL and the Skins.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 am

This is the quote from the piece Himey is referring to, and I think it's somewhat revealing.

The one thing that I think is always intriguing the older I get is the fact that [the NBA] is just all about basketball. I love the practices, I love the games, I love doing individual instruction and breaking down tape and game planning and doing those things

Link

One thing's for sure. The older he gets, the older he gets. :lol:
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum