Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, soflagator, t-gator and 49 guests

What's better for the basketball team?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

What's better for the basketball team?

Postby mrgator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 pm

I have really enjoyed watching us crush teams by 20+ points. I have found myself getting so spoiled that beating UGA by "only" 17 points was, in a way, a small disappointment. lol

There is always the debate about being battle tested come tournament time and so far there has been NO ONE to do that. With the remaining schedule, I see Ole Miss, UK and Missouri having the best chances to beat us and give us a good fight for 40 minutes. So far this year we have either lost close or blown out teams. I wouldn't mind seeing an Arizona type game only with the Gators finding a way to get the win instead of losing.

Do you guys think it's important for us or would winning out big be better?
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Re: What's better for the basketball team?

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Big is better
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby Jabberdave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Swamp82 wrote:Big is better

Tape two cheetahs on grandma's back.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm

You've been thinking about that haven't you?
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby BostonGator84 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Jabberdave wrote:

That would make her faster, not bigger.
BostonGator84
True Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Win them all and be the first 18-0 team ever. I think we will probably lose 2 games though. Anything can happen or any given night. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Just win.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jabberdave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm

BostonGator84 wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:

These are big cheetahs.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 pm

We're not going to find out about if we can lose until March, sooooooooo...........I guess just keep winning. Because any loss in this conference will hurt us pretty badly.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Jabberdave wrote:

That seems childish.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

What is better for the team is for them to play better, utilize more freshmen, and get ready for tourney time.

Continual improvement is the idea and of course stay healthy.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

We can't control the quality of our opponents, and this year, most of the SEC is pretty poor. So given the poor to average quality of our opponents, if we keep blowing them out of the court, there's not much the team can do about it. I'm sure Billy isn't hoping for a poor night by his team just to see if they can handle the pressure.

I just hope that continually blowing out SEC opponents without any close games won't affect our RPI and seeding. However, if we win the SEC reg season with no more than two losses (it's gonna be awfully hard to go undefeated, but we have a shot) and then win the SEC Tourney, we WILL be a #1 seed, regardless of the quality of the rest of the SEC.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Jabberdave wrote:
BostonGator84 wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:

These are big cheetahs.

Not a childish retort ... but an "Einsteinian" gray matter mutter =
the mutter of all retorts - "Jabwise", I mean.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jabberdave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

rogdochar wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:
BostonGator84 wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:

These are big cheetahs.

Not a childish retort ... but an "Einsteinian" gray matter mutter =
the mutter of all retorts - "Jabwise", I mean.

:lol: I'm gonna laugh because I'm not sure if I was insulted or not.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:09 pm

simple admire for simple "big cheetahs".= nice topspin.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby 8802gator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:17 pm

With this schedule we are not gonna get tested very often. What we need to see is this team continuing to beat teams soundly. That will show that they are remaining focused.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby alcoholica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

vulcan_alex wrote:What is better for the team is for them to play better, utilize more freshmen, and get ready for tourney time.

There's no reason why only one freshman is contributing at this point. Ready or not, the Freshmen have plenty of opportunity to play during this schedule.
G Min
Braxton Ogbueze 13 5.5
DeVon Walker 15 4.7
Dillon Graham 14 4.4

Half their minutes or more can against Nebraska Kerney and Alabama State. Minutes dropped off even against Savannah State. They won't get significantly better riding the pine.

As for the tourney, we all had better pray that Wilbekin stays healthy and out of trouble, because this team doesn't have the depth to overcome his absence in the tourney.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby mrgator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 pm

SavannahGator wrote:We can't control the quality of our opponents, and this year, most of the SEC is pretty poor. So given the poor to average quality of our opponents, if we keep blowing them out of the court, there's not much the team can do about it. I'm sure Billy isn't hoping for a poor night by his team just to see if they can handle the pressure.

I just hope that continually blowing out SEC opponents without any close games won't affect our RPI and seeding. However, if we win the SEC reg season with no more than two losses (it's gonna be awfully hard to go undefeated, but we have a shot) and then win the SEC Tourney, we WILL be a #1 seed, regardless of the quality of the rest of the SEC.

I think the is the most important part of the issue. I don't care how good our league is this year. If we can continue to dominate and minimize our losses to 1 or 2, then there is a very good chance we get a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. Obviously a 1 seed has an easier chance of making it to the Sweet 16.
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby mrgator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 pm

alcoholica wrote:
vulcan_alex wrote:What is better for the team is for them to play better, utilize more freshmen, and get ready for tourney time.

There's no reason why only one freshman is contributing at this point. Ready or not, the Freshmen have plenty of opportunity to play during this schedule.
G Min
Braxton Ogbueze 13 5.5
DeVon Walker 15 4.7
Dillon Graham 14 4.4

Half their minutes or more can against Nebraska Kerney and Alabama State. Minutes dropped off even against Savannah State. They won't get significantly better riding the pine.

As for the tourney, we all had better pray that Wilbekin stays healthy and out of trouble, because this team doesn't have the depth to overcome his absence in the tourney.

Agreed. I'd like to see the other freshmen get some more minutes and I'm not in Donovan's head so I'm not sure why they aren't getting more playing time in the second half. It may have to do with how they practice. It shouldn't matter how much we are killing a team, if you don't practice well and get coached up, then you shouldn't play much.

But if they are doing well at practice then I'd like to see them get more time on the court at about the 5-6 minute mark when we are up by 20+.

I think any team will hurt severely if they lose their point guard mid to late season. It's probably one of the hardest positions to lose a player at and still expect a deep tournament run if you ask me.
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby alcoholica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

mrgator wrote:
alcoholica wrote:

G Min
Braxton Ogbueze 13 5.5
DeVon Walker 15 4.7
Dillon Graham 14 4.4

Agreed. I'd like to see the other freshmen get some more minutes and I'm not in Donovan's head so I'm not sure why they aren't getting more playing time in the second half. It may have to do with how they practice. It shouldn't matter how much we are killing a team, if you don't practice well and get coached up, then you shouldn't play much.

But if they are doing well at practice then I'd like to see them get more time on the court at about the 5-6 minute mark when we are up by 20+.

I think any team will hurt severely if they lose their point guard mid to late season. It's probably one of the hardest positions to lose a player at and still expect a deep tournament run if you ask me.

Unfortunately, Donovan's history suggests that he has a set rotation (timewise) and sticks with it. I was disappointed 2 years ago when Murphy and Young didn't get to play much. Macklin was good for only about a half and then his knee would tighten up at halftime, and Tyus was a black hole for the ball. I thought both Murphy and Young deserved to play more. IMO it's damn hard to coach up a kid when you don't see what he can do in a real game situation.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum