Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MrSwampy, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, Yahoo [Bot] and 29 guests

"Gator at Heart"

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

"Gator at Heart"

Postby TommyGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 am

For those who recently pressed to "not know what that means"....

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20130128/ARTICLES/130129609?p=1&tc=pg
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Re: "Gator at Heart"

Postby BostonGator84 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 am

That was a good article.

Hopefully he'll push for playing time, or at least make our current WR's better to get some semblance of production out of that group.
BostonGator84
True Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am

classy
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby mtn2top » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 am

Having people like Case Harrison walking on for the Gators gives me a lot of faith in the system. I recognize the realities of big time college and pro sports, but still long for an all Florida roster in many ways.

“I was brought home from the hospital in a Gator blanket,” he said. “I've always been a Gator.”

These are the players that are going to bring a little more effort and have more pride in a Florida Gator team. Glad to see there's still a place for them on the football team.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby delg8tor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 am

I was just about to start a new thread about this very thing. I know the article says that he has no scholarship offers which is one of the reasons he is choosing to walk on. What it doesn't say is that UF doesn't really have to offer him a scholarship because he dad is a professor. He gets a free education already because of that. If he is as good as it sounds like he is then Champ is getting a scholarship caliber player without having to give up a scholarship. Does anybody know if walk-on's are able to live in the athletic dorms?
delg8tor
Senior Gator

Postby g8trs99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

delg8tor wrote:I was just about to start a new thread about this very thing. I know the article says that he has no scholarship offers which is one of the reasons he is choosing to walk on. What it doesn't say is that UF doesn't really have to offer him a scholarship because he dad is a professor. He gets a free education already because of that. If he is as good as it sounds like he is then Champ is getting a scholarship caliber player without having to give up a scholarship. Does anybody know if walk-on's are able to live in the athletic dorms?

Doering's father, Paul, is a UF professor and Doering grew up dreaming about playing for Florida.

I thought it just said Doerings Dad was a professor. I don't think this kid's dad is though. It did say his Grandfater played at UF though.
Last edited by g8trs99 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby delg8tor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 pm

g8trs99 wrote:
delg8tor wrote:I was just about to start a new thread about this very thing. I know the article says that he has no scholarship offers which is one of the reasons he is choosing to walk on. What it doesn't say is that UF doesn't really have to offer him a scholarship because he dad is a professor. He gets a free education already because of that. If he is as good as it sounds like he is then Champ is getting a scholarship caliber player without having to give up a scholarship. Does anybody know if walk-on's are able to live in the athletic dorms?

Doering's father, Paul, is a UF professor and Doering grew up dreaming about playing for Florida.

I thought it just said Doerings Dad was a professor. I don't think this kids dad is. It did say his Grandfater played at UF though.

Shoot... My bad. maybe a little too much wishful thinking.
delg8tor
Senior Gator

Postby TommyGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Are athletic dorms still allowed? That is bound to piss somebody off...
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby BSJGator » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Great story about a kid with a lot of heart, and it sounds like a skill set to match. He's the kind of guy the coaches will point to when the five star studs are moping around the practice field and say, "He'll take your scholarship if you don't get off your ass and get to work" and all it'll do is motivate Case Harrison to try harder. I'm incredibly proud he's getting a chance at MY alma mater. Makes me even prouder to be a Florida Gator!
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby CGgater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

I just found my new favorite Gator! If he has half the production that Doering had, he will be a nice addition to a WR corps that is desperate for playmakers. He could be the little guy that other teams ignore while he slips through and converts 3rd down after 3rd down.

:chomp:
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby malo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Good Kid, plays hard every down. Was a key part to many wins this year and played till the last whistle and the state title. I think he will push for time, if he shows what he can do....great hands and knows how to get open or come back to the QB when he is in trouble. If I am not mistaken he came to GHS in hopes to play QB but made the switch to WR and had an excellent HS career.
malo
Freshman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm

The article shows what a great Gator Chris Doering is. I too hope
Case Harrison becomes a "household-name" on GSMB soon.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm

There was no mention of his size in the article. I did a google search and found two different listings: 6' 170lbs & 6'1 180lbs. At either of those sizes he has a real shot of getting into any rotation we have at WR. If he was 5'8 160 or something, I'd just take it as another "feel good" story about a walk-on. But he seems legit. Not many kids catch 50 passes in a season, regardless of the level they play at, in high school. Hopefully he makes an impact for us.

On another note, I'm totally surprised he wasn't offered a scholarship by anyone. There are plenty of 1AA & D2 schools around, especially up north, that would love a kid like him.

Florida Tech is starting a D2 team this fall. D2 offers up to 36 scholarships.... There are plenty of D2 teams up north (even in Georgia - Valdosta State).
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Return to Gatorsports Forum