Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gardnerwebbalumnigator, GatorBart, Gatorious, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, RebelGator and 61 guests

Hearns no longer a UF commit

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Hearns no longer a UF commit

Postby Zach Abolverdi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi
Request me on Facebook @ http://facebook.com/ZachAbolverdi
Zach Abolverdi
GatorSports Writer

Re: Hearns no longer a UF commit

Postby Jbossgator9 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm

This prompts the generic response, "We didn't want him anyways."
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Evidently he isn't terribly bright. I'll never understand how someone can bomb grades in high school - they'll pass anyone.
oxrageous

Postby jand3k » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 pm

WDWHAW
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow, big surprise.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm

High school is hard. :?
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby ncargat1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:02 pm

oxrageous wrote:Evidently he isn't terribly bright. I'll never understand how someone can bomb grades in high school - they'll pass anyone.

I will not be as harsh as you, but I will not disagree either. I just think that it is sad that a kid can not study just enough to meet a few bare minimum requirements. And, because he can not, he screwed himself out of a chance to play for UF, a coach and staff that is showing that they know how to put kids into the NFL.

I never fault a kid for wanting to go somewhere else of his choosing, but to limit yourself over a few grades, or a few home work assignments.....just sad.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatesm1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

ncargat1 wrote:
oxrageous wrote:Evidently he isn't terribly bright. I'll never understand how someone can bomb grades in high school - they'll pass anyone.

I will not be as harsh as you, but I will not disagree either. I just think that it is sad that a kid can not study just enough to meet a few bare minimum requirements. And, because he can not, he screwed himself out of a chance to play for UF, a coach and staff that is showing that they know how to put kids into the NFL.

I never fault a kid for wanting to go somewhere else of his choosing, but to limit yourself over a few grades, or a few home work assignments.....just sad.

Well, maybe the kid just isn't real smart. I've seen plenty of kids with a 75 IQ who could perform to that academically. They won't qualify at many institutes of higher learning just based on ability. If every school looked at just athletic ability we wouldn't have a problem getting kids qualified, but some just don't have it. He may be working his butt off in the classroom....just can't get over the hump. I'm not saying this kid is in that category, but it happens.
gatesm1
Freshman Gator

Postby BSJGator » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Living in Tallahassee, knowing some of the kids on that team, it's entirely probable your right. But, if he can't get motivated enough to study in HS, there's no reason to think he'll work any harder in college. Doesn't matter if he goes to Little Sisters of The Poor University, if he has the talent, the nfl will find him....
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby kcgator » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm

kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby PowerGator79 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm

This is why I repeatedly post on here that nothing matters until pen meets paper.

Doesn't matter how or why they are no longer committed. Verbal commitments mean nothing.
PowerGator79
Freshman Gator

Postby UGator » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 am

Not sure I would have the patience to recruit a future Mike Backer like Hearns, and be loyal during his knee injury, and not have him get help with his grades. All his "visits" were an indication his 80% verbal was more like 20%.

He wasted his opportunity with us and now will be with a team that has little or no championship potential. Nice job!
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby scmike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 am

Doesn't say much for the standards of the schools currently pursuing him like USCe, AU and UK. Of course, UK doesn't have high standards.
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 am

In his retort he said that Stoops had done big things at FSU, I guess he was referring to them being back, but he won't cause much fuss at Ku. I didn't realize that UK and USCe had so much lower standards for entering school. All schools should have the same standards for entrance.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorBart » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:55 pm

It's not all that easy.
When I took chemistry in college it was easy.
Why? Because I had a hard-ass chemistry teacher in HS that prepared me well for college. I actually got better grades in college than I did in HS.
There's also maturity and accountability to look at as well. When I was in HS, I was protected by living at home and relying on my Mom to feed and clothe me. When I got into college, I was on my own, and took responsibility for my actions, including studying. Sometimes the light just clicks on a little slower for some.
We don't know what type of classes Hearns was taking. Maybe he was taking the more difficult college prep classes and was struggling a little. Hopefully he figures it out. I wish him the best where ever he ends up.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby willgetin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Personally, I think issues like this show what kind of coaches, teachers, and administrators the kid has at his high school. For him to be so good at football and sooooo bad at school, you know someone in those three groups has to NOT be doing their job.

Richard Pryor talking about Jim Brown in the huddle kinda fits here. "Just gimme the ball. "
Alv: We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
Alv: You do realize your signature bums me out more than any other Jort rabble on the GSMB...Any chance you would...remove it?
willgetin
Heisman Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm always amazed when players who qualify by NCAA standards don't get into UF and end up at other schools like an Auburn who end up beating us.

I'm sure fans at schools like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern also are amazed when players they want can't get in and end up at schools like ours who end up beating them.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby Zambo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Is this "Hitman" Hearns? Sid?
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby mrgator » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm

GatorBart wrote:

It's not all that easy.
Why? Because I had a hard-ass chemistry teacher in HS that prepared me well for college. I actually got better grades in college than I did in HS.
There's also maturity and accountability to look at as well. When I was in HS, I was protected by living at home and relying on my Mom to feed and clothe me. When I got into college, I was on my own, and took responsibility for my actions, including studying. Sometimes the light just clicks on a little slower for some.
We don't know what type of classes Hearns was taking. Maybe he was taking the more difficult college prep classes and was struggling a little. Hopefully he figures it out. I wish him the best where ever he ends up.

You can't really believe this can you? Anyone who's played HS ball knows the kids that are bare bones-ing it to get the grade. They are whip smart when it comes to football so you know learning is not their problem. And yet they struggle in the classroom because they don't apply themselves.

While UF has high academic standards, this isn't Standford or Harvard we're talking about. This is UF. They aren't asking for AP classes or a even a 3.0.

These kids have to average...well...average. Just by turning in all of your assignments and homework you could probably pull a C. :?
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:58 pm

mrgator wrote:
GatorBart wrote:

It's not all that easy.

You can't really believe this can you? Anyone who's played HS ball knows the kids that are bare bones-ing it to get the grade. They are whip smart when it comes to football so you know learning is not their problem. And yet they struggle in the classroom because they don't apply themselves.

While UF has high academic standards, this isn't Standford or Harvard we're talking about. This is UF. They aren't asking for AP classes or a even a 3.0.

These kids have to average...well...average. Just by turning in all of your assignments and homework you could probably pull a C. :?

You're making a huge assumption that all HS ball players are taking the easy route in HS so that they can get into college easier. You can't really believe that can you?
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum