Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cover2, dz_23, Gatorious, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MJMGator, MSNbot Media, NoGaGator, swampfuel, Wait ’til next year, Yahoo [Bot] and 84 guests

About the NCAA

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

About the NCAA

Postby UGator » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 am

Could all of these alleged investigators and lawyers who are supposed to be enforcing the credibility and rules of college athletics,,,,, work for the Obama Administration? Is this incessant foot dragging and bias against some schools while seemingly favoring others just more of the same political cluster we see in DC these days?

Why can't swift investigations and rulings be the norm and not the continuing delays and posturing which allow the perpetrators to continue as if it's o k? Penn State finally got theirs for pedophilia and now Miamuh is soon to follow for booster involvement and pay offs. As for Miamuh, are they being protected because Fox and ESPN have their former Coach and players who still honor the "U" as if untouchable and necessary for the sake of their TV commentary?

Think of South Beach, for crying out loud, shouldn't their revenues be protected as many of the "U's" players call it the primary reason they're at Miamuh to begin with. It's great for tourism if future NFL stars call SB home after a grueling day of practice.

I am so thankful that UF never came under the scrutiny of these wonderful NCAA professionals, or we might still be playing flag football and awaiting our re-emergence into D1 consideration.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Re: ABOUT THE NCAA

Postby scmike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 am

We had our dark days with the NCAA in the late 80s which carried into the early 90s. That was not fun. I do not want to get into the Penn St. fiasco, but I fail to understand why the NCAA could act so quickly on them when the issues at Miami precluded all of the PSU stuff being made known. I also fail to understand why ohio state got off lightly when So. California got toasted.
The bottom line to me is that Emmert and his band of stooges are not very efficient, and they are intimidated by some folks. It is a joke.
Go Gators!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby Dugaboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Yes, we at UF had our bad days because of the lack of institutional control plus over 74 seperate violations. That investigation and all the media coverage surrounding the firing of Charlie Pell and his loyal band of warriors took a long time also. The exact time from when the first transgression leaked in the St Pete Times about some kicker prospect recruit's sister being promised a scholarship (Pat Moon?) until the final findings of the NCAA Infractions Committee and the mallet of justice fom the NCAA Board - appeared to be ages.

I am not a lawyer, but I spent my whole career in a profession that was heavily regulated by the federal government - similar to the NCAA. We had a myrid of regulations that had to be be followed. When transgressions occurred, my company would spend much time delivering documents, offering testimony, and trying not to tell lies. These universities are being toasted by the NCAA are doing the same.

If any reader here is a lawyer, they may agree with what I concluded in the University of Miami case:

There are many transgressions in the apparent acute violations of NCAA rules surrounding Shapiro, a now-convicted felon on other matters. There are many attorneys involved on both sides - the university and the NCAA; now enter attorneys representing the target-violators like Frank Haith, trying to protect the character and esteem of the alledged perpatrators.

Also, several sports are involved and there are more than many non-university employees involved in apparent violations. They all need lawyers.

The NCAA Infractions Committee or Board has no arrest powers, nor is there a book of criminal code covering these violations, but a lot of monetary fines, of wrist-slapping and black-balling ; will follow, but that is about it.

If fraud or any other felonies have been discovered in the investigatory process, then that does bring in other avenues for future prosecution. That will delay the findings even more. Fraud and lying under oath are hard to prove, especially when the trail of cash has dissappeared in some instances.

The delay in findings actually aids the university and the employees and non-employees involved, helping them get ready for the sledge hammer and planning a counter attack. The media does not like the delays and of course other observers like us get frustrated too. We want justice and damnation.

Miami looks like "lack of institutional control" bigtime. The degree of the future penalties will not be softened by institutional cooperation, as UM thinks. It does not mean poop on the severity of penalty. UM is being dilusional; the opposite is the case:

If UM drags its feet and shows to be un-cooperative like UF did in the 1980's, the hammer will be heavier...
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby Double Gator Dad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

The NCAA has two primary challenges that impact their pursuit of cheaters.

1. Lack of subpoena power
2. Deeply rooted internal bias

The first one is why these things tale so muach time and many times are never resolved. All the institution needs to do is circle the wagons and make sure that everyone holds their water and the NCAA is powerless. A prime example is the Scam Newton situation. The NCAA knows everything, they just can't find anyone willing to go on the record.
The only way to solve this is to reinvent the rules and get every member institution to sign off on it. Once the NCAA has the power, this stuff will get punished.

The second one unfortunately is a more difficult to fix. Whether we want to admit it or not the NCAA has and will continue to favor certain schools. There are many documented cases involving schools such as Notre Dame where the NCAA covertly addressed the issues with the school and basically allowed them to clean up the problem without punishment. Ohio State is an example of this one. Between the hand slap punishment and allowing those players to play in the Sugar Bowl cannot be explained any other way.
The only way to fix this is to publicly address this with proof. Good luck with that one.
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Re: About the NCAA

Postby Dugaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am

No sooner do I post a long diatribe about UMiami and the NCAA investigation, than the NCAA management announces there have been flaws in the investigation process and they are "embarrassed" about current events as to who is paid by whom...it surrounds those lawyers I mentioned above.

Greg Cote, writer for the Miami Herald has begun immediately saying, "see! see!" I told you so! Turning the errors on the NCAA and trying to divert adjudication elsewhere away from UM...keep telling the lie long enough and it becomes the rule...remember?

Double Gator Dad was right and I was wrong - I ment to say "subpeona powers" and said arrest powers...my bad.

Let us not forget all the delays that FSU incurred in their investigation, trying to lead the snoopers away from the problem...long delays do not result in a weaken response from the NCAA.
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:02 am

Years back, Joe Paterno was head of. . . . I believe it was something like the infractions committee of the NCAA. Their selectivity of who they investigated and who they turned a blind eye to was, and continues to be infuriating.

One of the posters mentioned something like 74 violations when UF was under the spotlight. Some of those were on the level of orange hats and change for a pay phone. All the while, charter good ole boy club members like Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, John McKay, and of course Paterno himself operated freely with no threat of investigation.

It's been going on for a long time
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 am

There forever exists that "beneath-the-surface" magma-yearn to
treat CFB like a semi-pro org minor league for the wealthy NFL.
Think how enforceable "rules" will be if players are allowed a
little $tipend .? However sloppy, this NCAA policing is a saving grace.

Amateur sports/sportsmen breaking rules in the financial arena will
be CFB's cyanide sayonara.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum