Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 51 guests

2011 Recruiting Class

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

2011 Recruiting Class

Postby The RH Factor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 am

Man, it's amazing how many of those guys are gone already after just two years.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Re: 2011 Recruiting Class

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 am

5 left?

Mike Blakely- who? now buried in the Barn's depth chart, no loss IMO

Jacoby Brissett- he'd be way more efficient in a passing offense

Clay Burton- legacy, roster depth

Kyle Christy- offensive co-MVPs last year along with Joyer and Gillie

Jeff Driskel- the chosen one would be way more comfortable in a system that required running 20+ times a game instead of trying to pass

Jabari Gorman- showed some flashes on ST

Chris Johnson- I thought he was a walkon, always a tweener, too small to be a LB and too slow to be a DB.

Tommy Jordan- a reach, Daz special 3 star project.

Hunter Joyer- probably the most significant offensive player in the class, he always seemed to make the key block in the long runs by Gillie

A.C. Leonard- would have played a lot last year , would have excelled under Smurf Show's discipline system

Javares McRoy- I can't even remember if he made it on campus, he saw the writing on the wall when the Smurf Show left town

Louchiez Purifoy- Purifoy and Roberson are among the best cover corner combos in the country

Marcus Roberson-

De'Ante Saunders- couldn't put down the pot, would have excelled under Creyer's discipline system

Valdez Showers- showed some talent on STs

Graham Stewart- he would have been pushing for MLB this spring, but I can't remember why he left (homesick?)

Ja'Juan Story- always a project, did a nice Alli impersonation

Trip Thurman- already hurt the day he arrived I've read.

Tevin Westbrook- a reach, never considered more than filler

Altogether, it was a small class when we needed 30+ bodies and many were Creyer-type players, and many reaches, that we were stuck with due to the timing. It's no real surprise given the change in staffs after the Meyer meltdown, but it exemplifies why we have struggled.

There just wasn't much talent in that class, and we needed a big batch of play-makers badly in 2011.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 am

With the size (or potential size) of this 2013 class, I wish the staff had sought a few more JUCO's: specifically a WR (or two), a LB (or two), and more DL's (I hope we get Reed...and we could have used a DE). Oh well, can't complain too much about this year's class except for lack of freshman DT's.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

We had A LOT of holes to fill.

I don't think LB is a place where a juco would do well. Too many reads and plays to learn.

I'm not a fan of juco receivers, though tinerc has done ok twice in the last two decades. Of course, both left after 1 year for the pros. Freshman contribute fairly often at WR. We just need to identify the kid or kids and give them the time. I hope we don't waste too much time trying to fix the broken parts already on the shelf.

As for DTs, those kids don't grow on trees, but we're still better off than a few years ago when we had LB-sized guys like Trattou playing DT often.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 am

Law, agree regarding the JUCO route for WR & LB. However, there are a lot of those kids who go JUCO for different reasons (such as Cummings, who actually played at FSU and got out....rather than going down to 1AA he went JUCO so he could come back to D1 immediately...similar to what Cam Newton did). There aren't a lot of those, but those are the kids I'd like to see recruited harder. Also, a JUCO WR that plays in a decent offense could come in and be a big factor immediately.

On another note, remember when Spurrier was here we always heard, "...JUCO's can't get into UF...that's why we don't go after many JUCO's..." ?? Well, JUCO has gotten to be a big part of recruiting the last 10 years or so. I'm not an advocate of building a roster full of JUCO's (like Kansas State always does)...but there's no problem adding up to 3/year, especially when you have big holes in your classes (for example, having 30 freshman and only 8 seniors).

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 am

What is this "cryer discipline system" of which you speak?
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 am

I wouldn't mind having them, but it hasn't worked out. We've obviously hit the bush for some juco linemen and brought back a few.

There's more than just "being smart enough" for UF. AFAIK there are still some pretty rigid requirements for kids to transfer into UF (AA with certain hours and that test) that I suspect many kids didn't attain. It's not something that can be rectified in a short period of time.

30 freshmen (actually more because of RS freshmen) and 8 seniors is never good but it's a symptom of what was left. It's way better than trying to play 1A football with only 65 players.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 am

TommyGator wrote:What is this "cryer discipline system" of which you speak?

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator Fever » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 am

I was real surprised Ja'Juan Story didnt do anything considering our lack of talent at the position. Hopefully at least one of these 2 big name receivers coming in will be the real deal able to compete at a high level as a true freshman.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am

law98gator wrote:
TommyGator wrote:What is this "cryer discipline system" of which you speak?

:lol:
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Gator Fever wrote:I was real surprised Ja'Juan Story didnt do anything considering our lack of talent at the position. Hopefully at least one of these 2 big name receivers coming in will be the real deal able to compete at a high level as a true freshman.

Agreed. Hopefully he and Andrades become serviceable receivers.
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorMark86 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm

BMF wrote:
Gator Fever wrote:I was real surprised Ja'Juan Story didnt do anything considering our lack of talent at the position. Hopefully at least one of these 2 big name receivers coming in will be the real deal able to compete at a high level as a true freshman.

There are actually 3 big time receivers.
Robinson #5
Baily #13
Fullwood #15
GatorMark86
Baby Gator

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:32 pm

GatorMark86 wrote:
BMF wrote:

Robinson #5
Baily #13
Fullwood #15

My reply was not regarding this years recruiting class. Agree those 3 should upgrade our WR corps significantly!
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Seems like we have 6 QBs on roster. That's 7 minus JB = 6.
Surely they have less probability of QB play-time than Brissett
would have had.?

Many schools have top WRs that are converted QBs. What about
Tyler Murphy as WR ?? He won the state triple-jump championship
in HS -- that combines top speed with leg-spring. That sounds like
receiver talent to me. If Tyler has little CFB future as QB, what's
the sense of not trying to impress NFL scouts as a WR ?

Also, why ain't Tyler the top candidate to run Wildcat some time ?
Christian Provancha is 6'6" and now listed on the roster as WR.??
Could he be a more sensible J.Reed TE ?

6-QBs on the roster ?? and one as good as Brissett got too little
playing time to make his mark. What are all 5 of these non-starters
thinking ?
Last edited by rogdochar on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorStompin44 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm

BMF wrote:
GatorMark86 wrote:
BMF wrote:

Robinson #5
Baily #13
Fullwood #15

My reply was not regarding this years recruiting class. Agree those 3 should upgrade our WR corps significantly!

Who were you referring to then? Because Story transferred to TCU this past fall...
GatorStompin44
Senior Gator

Postby Gatorphan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

I think Pittman can still make an impact soon.
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Gatorphan
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 pm

rogdochar wrote:Seems like we have 6 QBs on roster.

No, we don't. We have Driskel, a couple of 2 star glorified walkons (Murphy and Mornhinweg), and a few real walkons.

rogdochar wrote:What about Tyler Murphy as WR ??

Because he doesn't have IA talent. He's a MAC, probably a MAC backup, level kid, although he did seem to have a knack for hitting #36 right between the numbers in the Spring Game two years ago.

Unfortunately, for us, he's currently the #2 QB and Driskel has a history of getting hurt often, meaning we'll be seeing Tyler Murphy starting a few games for us this year most likely. This will be fun.

If he's the #2, he needs every snap he can at QB.

Also, why ain't Tyler the top candidate to run Wildcat some time ?

Well, we have a running QB starting and another running QB, Trey, to run the wildcat. Frankly, they don't think the Murphy is good enough to get on the field even as a running QB. I agree.

Christian Provancha is 6'6" and now listed on the roster as WR?

Dude, Provolone is a scout teamer, no more, no less.
Last edited by law98gator on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Gatorphan wrote:I think Pittman can still make an impact soon.

I hope so.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm

GatorStompin44 wrote:
BMF wrote:
GatorMark86 wrote:
BMF wrote:

Robinson #5
Baily #13
Fullwood #15

Who were you referring to then? Because Story transferred to TCU this past fall...

You're right. I was referring to Pittman along w Andrades....
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Didn't we hear that Pittman and Andrades looked great in spring practice? Just like the year before when we heard that Quin Dunbar looked great? It's getting old hearing that, then watching them disappear in the season.

How long has it been since we had a 1000 yard receiver? A decade?

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum