Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Clawhammergator, digitalwangsta, Google Adsense [Bot], MJMGator, soflagator, Yahoo [Bot] and 49 guests

New recruiting rules coming

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

New recruiting rules coming

Postby gatorJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm

oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Re: New recruiting rules coming

Postby gatorJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 pm

The proposals outlined Tuesday during a seminar by NCAA officials on recruiting issues at the American Football Coaches Association convention feature a universal start date, subject to the recruiting calendar, of July 1 before a prospect's junior year for off-campus contact -- including home visits -- by football coaches, unregulated phone calls and electronic communication.

It would reverse the text-messaging ban, in place since 2007, from football coaches to recruits and impose no limitations on private messaging or communication via social media. Coaches would still be prohibited from sending public messages to recruits over Facebook and Twitter.

The NCAA recently instituted similar reform in basketball, part of NCAA president Mark Emmert's plan to streamline the rule book and reduce the administrative burden of compliance.

In football, where programs deal with many more prospective recruits than other sports, the impact could be monumental.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby MJMGator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Why whine about it? They all have the same restrictions, so no one gains an unfair advantage. I would think most coaches would welcome blackout periods as time to take a break and be with family.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorJ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am

MJMGator wrote:Why whine about it? They all have the same restrictions, so no one gains an unfair advantage. I would think most coaches would welcome blackout periods as time to take a break and be with family.

Well, I think that Jimbo's whiny b¡tchass reason is ludicrous. That being said, I think the proposed changes suck. Mainly these two:

The elimination of legislation that limits only full-time coaches to communicate with prospects and their families. Support staff and administrative personnel would be allowed to call recruits but not to visit them off campus.

Bama already abuses the hell out of the current rules and has a ridiculous amount of "non coach" recruiters to constantly contact these kids. Imagine how many people they will now tag as support staff/admin personnel. We would struggle to compete against that. How in hell would colleges with smaller athletic budgets compete?

The elimination of legislation that limits only full-time coaches to communicate with prospects and their families. Support staff and administrative personnel would be allowed to call recruits but not to visit them off campus.

The second, Proposal 13-3, would allow unlimited phone calls, texts and private electronic communication from school officials and coaches after July 1 in the summer before a prospect's junior year. Currently, coaches are allowed one call per week and prohibited from texting recruits.

This just sucks for the kid. The system already treats them like stars before they even step on the field. If you've ever seen a documentary (like the ESPN Tebow one)' they get about 50 pieces of mail a day. Now this unlimited staff of admin and support personnel get unlimited electronic/social web contact. That's insanity.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby MJMGator » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 am

gatorJ wrote:
MJMGator wrote:Why whine about it? They all have the same restrictions, so no one gains an unfair advantage. I would think most coaches would welcome blackout periods as time to take a break and be with family.

Well, I think that Jimbo's whiny b¡tchass reason is ludicrous. That being said, I think the proposed changes suck. Mainly these two:

Bama already abuses the hell out of the current rules and has a ridiculous amount of "non coach" recruiters to constantly contact these kids. Imagine how many people they will now tag as support staff/admin personnel. We would struggle to compete against that. How in hell would colleges with smaller athletic budgets compete?

The second, Proposal 13-3, would allow unlimited phone calls, texts and private electronic communication from school officials and coaches after July 1 in the summer before a prospect's junior year. Currently, coaches are allowed one call per week and prohibited from texting recruits.

This just sucks for the kid. The system already treats them like stars before they even step on the field. If you've ever seen a documentary (like the ESPN Tebow one)' they get about 50 pieces of mail a day. Now this unlimited staff of admin and support personnel get unlimited electronic/social web contact. That's insanity.

Agreed. Bama's entire student body may end up on staff over there.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Return to Gatorsports Forum