Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNAG8R, Chomper, Go Gata, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, NoGaGator, Sasquatch Gator, Yahoo [Bot] and 70 guests

DT Omari Phillips (2012 UF signee) out at Tennessee

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

DT Omari Phillips (2012 UF signee) out at Tennessee

Postby BMF » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 am

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/jan ... ips-trent/

Defensive linemen Trent Taylor and Omari Phillips and defensive back Deion Bonner won't be part of the program moving forward, according to UT spokesperson Jimmy Stanton.

Phillips and Taylor both stopped attending practices last year to focus on academics, then-coach Derek Dooley said at the time. Bonner was suspended for an undisclosed violation of team rules in November. Taylor and Phillips are listed as inactive students in the university directory. Bonner is still listed as an enrolled student, but if he returns to UT, it won't be as a member of the football team.

Phillips originally signed with Florida but was not admitted to the school and signed with Tennessee in the summer. The 6-foot-6, 325-pound defensive tackle from Venice, Fla., was ranked a four-star prospect by every major recruiting service.

He played in only one game in 2012, and there were signs that he was displeased, even before he left the team. He tweeted early in the season: "having regrets and knowing that your first decision was the best decision is probably the hardest thing to deal with #FLORIDA."
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Re: DT Omari Phillips (2012 UF signee) out at Tennessee

Postby Alagator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 am

Sucks for him. He should have gone to J.C. for a year and then transferred in and play right away next year. Of course, by the sound of it he may not have been able to stay academically qualified.
Kcgator wrote:
...bite him in his tightly puckered anus.

Soflagator wrote:
"We should really try not sucking for 30+ minutes of each game."
Alagator
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 am

Can't fix stupid. :?
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby BMF » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am

Another interesting tidbit from the article (regarding Brissett):

Brissett Unlikely for Vols: Florida quarterback Jacoby Brissett will select his new school in a few days, but it doesn't appear Tennessee is an option.

Brissett announced this week that he was transferring after two seasons at Florida, where he was a backup to starter Jeff Driskel.

Jack Daniels, who coached Brissett at Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., said North Carolina State, West Virginia, Arkansas and Louisville were among the schools the quarterback might consider.

Daniels said over the weekend that Tennessee had expressed interest in Brissett, but Daniels told the News Sentinel that it's unlikely Brissett would end up at Tennessee.

Daniels said he spoke with UT receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Azzanni about prospects Tuesday morning and Brissett's name never came up. He said Brissett has no plans to visit Knoxville.

The Vols have only two scholarship quarterbacks on the current roster, but they will gain true freshman Riley Ferguson this summer and could add another.

Brissett, a consensus four-star prospect in the 2011 signing class, won't be eligible to play until 2014.
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby mrgator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 am

My father in law who teaches at Venice High called it before Phillips even signed with UF. He said he'd be shocked if Phillips ever played a down. When I told him Phillips had transferred to UT he said he wasn't surprised but still predicted he wouldn't cut it unless he made significant changes in his attitude.

Apparently the guy had all kinds of chances to get his act together while at Venice High but never did. Athletic silver spoon was firmly planted in his mouth. :rolleyes:
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby Homer J » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am

BMF wrote:Another interesting tidbit from the article (regarding Brissett):

Brissett Unlikely for Vols: Florida quarterback Jacoby Brissett will select his new school in a few days, but it doesn't appear Tennessee is an option.

Brissett announced this week that he was transferring after two seasons at Florida, where he was a backup to starter Jeff Driskel.

Jack Daniels, who coached Brissett at Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., said North Carolina State, West Virginia, Arkansas and Louisville were among the schools the quarterback might consider.

Daniels said over the weekend that Tennessee had expressed interest in Brissett, but Daniels told the News Sentinel that it's unlikely Brissett would end up at Tennessee.

Daniels said he spoke with UT receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Azzanni about prospects Tuesday morning and Brissett's name never came up. He said Brissett has no plans to visit Knoxville.

The Vols have only two scholarship quarterbacks on the current roster, but they will gain true freshman Riley Ferguson this summer and could add another.

Brissett, a consensus four-star prospect in the 2011 signing class, won't be eligible to play until 2014.

Our defense just got better for the game on 9/21/13
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 am

If only his buddy Clay Burton would follow suit
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby TnGatorman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 am

MatthewM. wrote:If only his buddy Clay Burton would follow suit

I guess I am in afog this AM, but what do you mean by this statement?
TnGatorman
Redshirt Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

I admit it was a bit harsh, I simply meant Clay Burton is one of the worst football players I have ever laid eyes on.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm

MatthewM. wrote:I admit it was a bit harsh, I simply meant Clay Burton is one of the worst football players I have ever laid eyes on.

way to tone it down
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby snarlwhal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I remember hearing a story back when I first started at UF when Jabar Gaffney was here about how his dad used to take him into a room, turn off all the lights, and throw footballs at him so he could learn to catch just by instinct, maybe even develop a sixth sense for whirring pigskin...
That being said, Helen Keller has better ball skills than Clay Burton.
snarlwhal
Baby Gator

Postby Alagator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm

MatthewM. wrote:I admit it was a bit harsh, I simply meant Clay Burton is one of the worst football players I have ever laid eyes on.

I'm sure he'd be willing to lend you some pads and to some contact drills with you.

And don't make that sexual Matt. But since I know you will I'll add fuel to the fire. You may change your perspective of him from from your back. A teabagging picture come to mind.
Kcgator wrote:
...bite him in his tightly puckered anus.

Soflagator wrote:
"We should really try not sucking for 30+ minutes of each game."
Alagator
Heisman Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Alagator wrote:

I'm sure he'd be willing to lend you some pads and to some contact drills with you.

And don't make that sexual Matt. But since I know you will I'll add fuel to the fire. You may change your perspective of him from from your back. A teabagging picture come to mind.

Just because someone is big and strong, does not make them an athlete nor football player. The genes that make Trey what he is, appear to have skipped his brother. Maybe we're wrong on this, but this year in particular, no one can dispute he may as well have had bricks for hands. He dropped everything thrown at him. At least I can't remember him catching anything. Can you?
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBart » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

NavetG8r wrote:
Alagator wrote:

Just because someone is big and strong, does not make them an athlete nor football player. The genes that make Trey what he is, appear to have skipped his brother. Maybe we're wrong on this, but this year in particular, no one can dispute he may as well have had bricks for hands. He dropped everything thrown at him. At least I can't remember him catching anything. Can you?

In Clay's defense, he did not join the Gators to play TE; he was a DE in HS. He's learning a new position so I think he deserves some slack. Will he ever be a stud TE? Doubtful. But the coaches needed depth at the position and put him in there and I'm sure he's giving his best effort to help out the team any way he can.
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby deafgators » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:42 pm

+1
deafgators
Baby Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 pm

MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby JimtheGator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

= 0
JimtheGator
Redshirt Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Yay, math.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

GatorBart wrote:
NavetG8r wrote:
Alagator wrote:

In Clay's defense, he did not join the Gators to play TE; he was a DE in HS. He's learning a new position so I think he deserves some slack. Will he ever be a stud TE? Doubtful. But the coaches needed depth at the position and put him in there and I'm sure he's giving his best effort to help out the team any way he can.

+1 again.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby G8RByte » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

WobbleGator wrote:Yay, math.

:lol:
Reporter "What do you think about your team's execution?". John McKay "I'm all for it".
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum