Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Double Gator Dad, Google Adsense [Bot], Homer J, MSNbot Media, NCOGator, TheDouglas78, Yahoo [Bot] and 76 guests

Decline and Fall of the Gator Empire

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Decline and Fall of the Gator Empire

Postby Punto » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Watching Bama and Saban win their 3rd title in 4 years is more than I can take: Yes, I'm happy for the SEC, but this is like having salt rubbed in wounds that still haven't healed from the beat-down we took from Strong and Louisville.

Just four years removed from the glory of Title Town, and the Gator Empire is no more.

I believe that Urban and Foley both deserve a lion's share of the blame. Urban's burn-out basically lit the program on fire from within. Foley, in his mad panic, gave Urban (and not Stoops) the fire extinguisher. Sadly, Urban instead chose to keep on burning, while Foley stood around, doing nothing.

Other Urban/Foley policies further contributed to the harm: using an exotic system that only a handful of players can execute effectively, as well as chronic under-recruiting, done in an effort to avoid gray-shirting (a practice that nobody else in the SEC has a problem with), instead left us with too few bodies.

Saban, with no real competition left, was more than happy to suck-up all the good recruits, and turned Bama into an assembly-line powerhouse; One that will last for several more years, at the very least.

Before Louisville, Will (a hire that I was against) seemed to have our once broken team peaking ahead of schedule. Now, following Louisville, I'm not so sure about that: Our passing offense is still non-existent, and our pool of scholarship-athletes keeps dwindling, due to transfers and the NFL draft.

Our next step in rebuilding the Empire (and dethroning Bama) starts in February: Will needs to land a recruiting class that is great in both quality and quantity.

If Will can't deliver on both counts this February (a job made tougher after the Louisville debacle), he may not turn out to be the guy who can lead us out of the wilderness after all.
Punto
Freshman Gator

Re: Decline and Fall of the Gator Empire

Postby unofficialgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 pm

wait, what 11-2 is wilderness with the toughest schedule in the nation?

where do we find these people?

Dude find some Zoloft
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm

This thread should go well. :)
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby AugustaGator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Do it, man. Do it.

Jump, jump, jump, jump......

He won't do it.
AugustaGator
Bull Gator

Postby tillsb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Please go ahead and jump, we won't miss you.
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby tillsb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Or at least post this in one of the hundreds of threads on the same exact subject.
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby unofficialgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm sitting here just laughing at the fact that this kid wrote this. Here he is serious as a whomp writing pure unintended comedy. Like, he really capitalized the words his article title.

You really think people are gonna read this punto? This is where Ox ban happiness should be put in effect. (Otherwise I think he's been absolutely ludicrous in his use of the tool)
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby delg8tor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Any of these emoticons fit, take your pick...
:chillout: :couchfire: :crazy: :crazy2: :cry2: :cry3: :crybaby: :drama: :facepalm2: :hanging2: :headbang: :holysheep: :horsepoop: :CoachChamp: :kiffin: :mob2: :mob: :nofeedtroll: :soapbox: :thefan:
and last but certainly not least:
:wrong:
delg8tor
Senior Gator

Postby IDGAC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 pm

I agree with Punto. Louisville has ruined the Gator's 2013 season. We are screwed. Muschamp should be fired. We need Stoops here.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jabberdave » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby jand3k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

AugustaGator wrote:Do it, man. Do it.

He won't do it.

I don't think he'll do it.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby tillsb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm

jand3k wrote:
AugustaGator wrote:Do it, man. Do it.

He won't do it.

I don't think he'll do it.

all talk but no action
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby ShowMeLove » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

ShowMeLove
Heisman Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

unofficialgator wrote:wait, what 11-2 is wilderness with the toughest schedule in the nation?

where do we find these people?

Dude find some Zoloft

This Empire is just beginning to climb the mountain. WM is a young coach, and this is his first HC gig. He's learning at every step. What he's done in 2 years is amazing considering the state of things when he took over. Our scholarship roster was unacceptable for any D1 school, much less for UF.

Also, attrition. Never doubt that there is such a thing as addition by subtraction. For every player that transfers or heads to the NFL early, it opens up a spot for a WM guy. That's a good thing.

Yes, the losses to UGA and UL in the bowl game hurt. Both were poor performances. We have some on-the-field discipline issues that need to be taken care of. We also need to address our lack of development at the QB position. But the sky isn't falling, and this Empire isn't lost in the wilderness. Climb down off your lonely cliff and enjoy an 11-2 season against the nation's toughest schedule.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Who can bring balance to the force? :eek:

Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby IDGAC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 pm

IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby unofficialgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

IDGAC wrote:Image

ROFL
that picture never fails to shock and humor me
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby Scott512 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 pm

The Gator football empire has not fallen but it has dipped where talent and athleticism is concerned. Now the Gators lose a few key players early to the NFL draft and to transfers. I can't see the Gators going 11 - 2 next season. The talent level was exposed against Louisville. Louisville didn't blink when the Gators hammered them early with hits. Then when that wore off Louisville routed the Gators.

Who is to blame? Urban Meyer for sure. Hard to blame Jeremy Foley as he has made the Gators one of the top athetic deparments in the nation. I want to see some real game breaking tanet on this offnse next season. If not I will worry that Will Muschamp s not the answer.
Scott512
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum