Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, ShowMeLove, swampfuel and 31 guests

Depth Chart Questions

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Depth Chart Questions

Postby NewtonAlonzoKorffJarvis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am

Defense
DT – Easley, Orr, Jacobs, Cummings, Q. Williams
DE – Easley, Bullard, Fowler
Buck – Powell, Ball, Fowler
LB – Morrison, Taylor, McMillan, Ball, Kitchens
CB- Roberson, Purifoy, Watkins, Brown, Hargreaves
Safety – Riggs, Gorman, Maye, Pool, Showers, Ledbetter, Harris, Neal
Offense
QB – Driskel, Morhinweg
RB – Jones, Brown, Taylor
FB – Joyer, T. Burton
OT – Green, Humphries, Silberman, Brown, Moore, Garcia
C- Harrison, Koehne
OG – Halapio, Koehne, Dunker
WR- Dunbar, Robinson, Fullwood
WR – Patton, Pittman, Bailey
TE- C. Burton, Westbrook, Taylor
ST
P- Christy
K- Hardin, Phillips
KR – Debose, Purifoy
1.Did I leave anyone off that is expected to see serious time?
2.Recent reports say Easley will play mostly Tackle next year. Who will be in the starting rotation at end behind Fowler and Bullard?
3.Who will emerge at safety?
4.Is Mack Brown done? Jones, Taylor and perhaps Lane have a great opportunity to be the feature back.
5.Lots of depth at O-tackle. Can any of those guys play guard?
6.At least one and maybe two true freshmen could start at WR.

As Ox would say, "Discuss".

Degree: UF BSBA 1986, Colorado State MBA 2006
Dorm: Fletcher and North Hall Co-op
High School City: Altamonte Springs
Current City: Fort Worth, TX
NewtonAlonzoKorffJarvis
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

Your name sucks
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
User avatar
MatthewM.
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby unofficialgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:50 am

NewtonAlonzoKorffJarvis wrote:Defense
DT – Easley, Orr, Jacobs, Cummings, Q. Williams
DE – Easley, Bullard, Fowler
Buck – Powell, Ball, Fowler
LB – Morrison, Taylor, McMillan, Ball, Kitchens
CB- Roberson, Purifoy, Watkins, Brown, Hargreaves
Safety – Riggs, Gorman, Maye, Pool, Showers, Ledbetter, Harris, Neal
Offense
QB – Driskel, Morhinweg
RB – Jones, Brown, Taylor
FB – Joyer, T. Burton
OT – Green, Humphries, Silberman, Brown, Moore, Garcia
C- Harrison, Koehne
OG – Halapio, Koehne, Dunker
WR- Dunbar, Robinson, Fullwood
WR – Patton, Pittman, Bailey
TE- C. Burton, Westbrook, Taylor
ST
P- Christy
K- Hardin, Phillips
KR – Debose, Purifoy
1.Did I leave anyone off that is expected to see serious time?
2.Recent reports say Easley will play mostly Tackle next year. Who will be in the starting rotation at end behind Fowler and Bullard?
3.Who will emerge at safety?
4.Is Mack Brown done? Jones, Taylor and perhaps Lane have a great opportunity to be the feature back.
5.Lots of depth at O-tackle. Can any of those guys play guard?
6.At least one and maybe two true freshmen could start at WR.

As Ox would say, "Discuss".

With Easley coming back I feel really really good about DT. We have the depth to do what we did last year especially since we can flex Fowler and Bullard who were big suprises this year. I also expect Easley to be leader of the team with Jenkins and Elam gone.

DE - This all really depends on how much RoPo improves. If he lives up to his 5 star potential, we are in great shape, otherwise, yikes.

LB- I honestly didn't see much drop off when Jenkins came off the field last year... I think our guys are slower but harder hitters then last year, we'll just see if Champ's guys perform better... They sure seem to look just as good so far.

DB's - I feel real solid about our DB's. No suprise if this is our strongest Unit again.

OFfense- NO IDEA.
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm

With the way we play our defense, it makes more sense to list the D line as:
NT:
DT/DE:

We're going to be weak at NT, unless someone surprises us (Orr?). Did Q Williams move to DT? He's too tall to play inside.

I think ROPO doesn't play much DE next year. Frankly, he isn't very good at it. He should be at SLB more.

Mack Jones isn't anymore done than Gilly was when Matt Jones arrived. True freshmen USUALLY play like true freshmen. Fred Taylor wasn't a dominant back when he arrived (and was hurt often), there's no reason to think his son will be.

We need Taylor and Thompson to be big time receivers soon. Driskel needs those easy tosses to the TE over the middle.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16861
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby GatorKen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Bailey may be a kick returner next year.

And how come you have Debose as a KR but not WR?

but ultimately I think it is way to early to address some spots. 13 starters to replace.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.


I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
User avatar
GatorKen
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Murica

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby IDGAC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 pm

MatthewM. wrote:Your name sucks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IDGAC
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby unofficialgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:11 pm

yeah that was pretty funny, lol
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby mrgator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm concerned about our LB spots right now but would feel better if Ro Po moved to outside and had Morrison at the other OLB. Middle? Not sure.

DL will be fine to great depending on the development of Orr and Jacobs on the inside. Easley should be in good form and the bookends of Fowler,Powell/Bullard will be outstanding.

secondary is a big ??? to me. I have no idea who our safeties are going to be and will the be able to fill the shoes even slightly for Evans and Elam. They shouldn't have to clean up too many mistakes with Watkins, Roberson and Purifoy covering the outside.

WR is also a huge concern and I'm hoping that Dunbar continues his development and Debose can finally mature enough. I'm hoping that the more 4 star WR's we recruit this year the better our chances that at least ONE of them can develop into an early playmaker.

TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

OL I feel really good about mostly because we have a lot of playing experience coming back next year. Humphries, Silberman, Halapio,Green, Harrison and Koehne all have starting experience (to varying degrees). Add in Garcia and Taylor and their starting experience save for a year off and we will be big and able on the OL.

RB will be fine with Jones stepping up. Concerned about Brown's health and I never like to assume freshmen are going to step up 1st year (see WR). But we are going to need one of them to step up if we are going to make any noise next year.
mrgator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby GatorBart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm

law98gator wrote:With the way we play our defense, it makes more sense to list the D line as:
NT:
DT/DE:

We're going to be weak at NT, unless someone surprises us (Orr?). Did Q Williams move to DT? He's too tall to play inside.

I think ROPO doesn't play much DE next year. Frankly, he isn't very good at it. He should be at SLB more.

Mack Jones isn't anymore done than Gilly was when Matt Jones arrived. True freshmen USUALLY play like true freshmen. Fred Taylor wasn't a dominant back when he arrived (and was hurt often), there's no reason to think his son will be.

We need Taylor and Thompson to be big time receivers soon. Driskel needs those easy tosses to the TE over the middle.


It's Mack Brown and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about him - your statement was a little confusing to me. Kelvin Taylor is light years ahead of where Fred was when he arrived in Gainesville and Fred has even said so. I expect Jones and Taylor to be the main ball carriers next year unless Mack Brown kicks it up a notch. I'm also very interested to see what Adam Lane can do as he's been compared to Ray Rice.
Image
User avatar
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Left Coast

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

mrgator wrote:TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

Taylor is already far better at receiving than Reed was. Reed's strength was running after he managed to catch the ball. Taylor is a real receiver and Thompson is no slouch either.

Reed will quickly be forgotten, I suspect. I think he only had 600 yards last year. That really shouldn't be hard to replace.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16861
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Mack Brown should transfer. He has no chance to be on the field when it matters.
User avatar
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 13834
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

GatorBart wrote:
law98gator wrote:With the way we play our defense, it makes more sense to list the D line as:
NT:
DT/DE:

We're going to be weak at NT, unless someone surprises us (Orr?). Did Q Williams move to DT? He's too tall to play inside.

I think ROPO doesn't play much DE next year. Frankly, he isn't very good at it. He should be at SLB more.

Mack Jones isn't anymore done than Gilly was when Matt Jones arrived. True freshmen USUALLY play like true freshmen. Fred Taylor wasn't a dominant back when he arrived (and was hurt often), there's no reason to think his son will be.

We need Taylor and Thompson to be big time receivers soon. Driskel needs those easy tosses to the TE over the middle.


It's Mack Brown and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about him - your statement was a little confusing to me. Kelvin Taylor is light years ahead of where Fred was when he arrived in Gainesville and Fred has even said so. I expect Jones and Taylor to be the main ball carriers next year unless Mack Brown kicks it up a notch. I'm also very interested to see what Adam Lane can do as he's been compared to Ray Rice.


Adam Lane could end up being the best of the bunch. Really excited to watch Jones, Taylor and Lane run over our rivals the next couple of years. Mack Brown will most likely find himself buried on the depth chart again.
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

Image
Image
User avatar
I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Where nobody is looking

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby Double Gator Dad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm

law98gator wrote:
mrgator wrote:TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

Taylor is already far better at receiving than Reed was. Reed's strength was running after he managed to catch the ball. Taylor is a real receiver and Thompson is no slouch either.

Reed will quickly be forgotten, I suspect. I think he only had 600 yards last year. That really shouldn't be hard to replace.


We will sorely miss Reed next year. We may never again have a TE that can jump for passes at his waist.
Seriously, Jordan Reed will quickly be forgotten if not already.
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby IDGAC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:
law98gator wrote:
mrgator wrote:TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

Taylor is already far better at receiving than Reed was. Reed's strength was running after he managed to catch the ball. Taylor is a real receiver and Thompson is no slouch either.

Reed will quickly be forgotten, I suspect. I think he only had 600 yards last year. That really shouldn't be hard to replace.


We will sorely miss Reed next year. We may never again have a TE that can jump for passes at his waist.
Seriously, Jordan Reed will quickly be forgotten if not already.


Will we forget Jordan Reed faster than he will forget where the out-of-bounds line is?
IDGAC
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:00 pm

IDGAC wrote:
Double Gator Dad wrote:
law98gator wrote:
mrgator wrote:TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

Taylor is already far better at receiving than Reed was. Reed's strength was running after he managed to catch the ball. Taylor is a real receiver and Thompson is no slouch either.

Reed will quickly be forgotten, I suspect. I think he only had 600 yards last year. That really shouldn't be hard to replace.


We will sorely miss Reed next year. We may never again have a TE that can jump for passes at his waist.
Seriously, Jordan Reed will quickly be forgotten if not already.


Will we forget Jordan Reed faster than he will forget where the out-of-bounds line is?

Or the snap count?
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

Image
Image
User avatar
I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6164
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Where nobody is looking

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby GatorKen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:
law98gator wrote:
mrgator wrote:TE is going to be fine on the run blocking side of it but pass catching? Depends on how well Thompson and Taylor develop this spring. Burton and Westbrook have done well with the none catching side of it.

Taylor is already far better at receiving than Reed was. Reed's strength was running after he managed to catch the ball. Taylor is a real receiver and Thompson is no slouch either.

Reed will quickly be forgotten, I suspect. I think he only had 600 yards last year. That really shouldn't be hard to replace.


We will sorely miss Reed next year. We may never again have a TE that can jump for passes at his waist.
Seriously, Jordan Reed will quickly be forgotten if not already.



Jordan who? :lol: :lol: :lol:
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.


I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
User avatar
GatorKen
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Murica

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby BMF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 pm

LB and DT are going to be our only question marks on D. I hope we land Cummings JUCO teammate for some additional depth.

On O, there are too many holes and unproven talent to debate. I'm hoping the OL is significantly better with the 3 transfers, plus younger players....which hopefully leads to an improved overall offense. Driskel needs time to throw..and some better receivers. Looks like we have some very talented freshman WRs coming in....

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3247
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby ltraz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 pm

With how our coaches like to rotate players, especially on the D-line, you have to look at a 2-deep to determine where people will line up. It's impossible to really know where a few younger players will end up or how they'll do, but we should know more after the spring. As Law said, for our D you really have to acknowledge swing players (the the 4-3 DE that stays at DE in a 3-4 vs the 1 that moves to OLB and the DT that moves to DE). Below is a 4-3 w/ Bullard obvisouly being the DE that stays at DE and Easley obviously being the DT that moves to DE. Not counting Brantley we have 4 DTs next year, which is what we had this year so I'm not sure why people think we will lack depth. I also think Bullard moves inside on obvious passing downs, which gives our guys even more rest.

DE: Bullard, Q Williams
DT: Orr, Cummings
DT: Easley, Jacobs
Buck: Fowler, McCallister, Ajagbe
SAM: RoPo, Kitchens, McMillian
Mike: Morrison, Taylor, Hearns
Will: Ball, Powell
CB: Roberson, Watkins
CB: Purifoy, VH3
FS: Gorman, Showers, Washington
SS: Poole, Neal, Harris

I only put a few freshman based off thinking they have a shot at PT (McMillian) or we know for sure what position (Hearns and SS's). Poole and Ball switching positions I guessed based off of getting our best 11 on the field. McCallister and Powell were both talked about on the scout teams so I put them on the 2-deep

As far as on O, I'm not really sure what everyone's obsession with Taylor is (aside from stats obviously). The competition he played was a joke and it's not like he's completely dominated at camps. He has very good feet, but doesn't really run with power and def doesn't have great speed. Brown, when healthy, has at least shown he can play in the SEC. If the two young TEs both progress, I think we'll see them on the field together a lot. With Thompson obviously being better suited on the line, I think we split Taylor out (like we did Reed sometimes at the X). It makes us bigger, gives Pease flexibility and gives JD a slant. The depth chart below is a 13-man O which takes into account an ace, an I and a single-back set.

QB: JD, Skyler
RB: Jones, Brown
FB: Joyer, Burton
TE: Thompson, Westbrook
TE: Taylor, C Burton
X: Dunbar, Robinson, Debose
Y: Patton, Bailey, Chris Thompson
Z: Pittman, Fulwood
LT: Humphries, T Brown
LG: Garcia, Silberman
C: Harrison, Koehne
RG: Jalapeno, Dunker
RT: Moore, Greene
ltraz
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby NewtonAlonzoKorffJarvis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

ltraz wrote:CB: Roberson, Watkins
CB: Purifoy, VH3
FS: Gorman, Showers, Washington
SS: Poole, Neal, Harris
LG: Garcia, Silberman

Good analysis ltraz. So, do you see both Jeremy Brown and Cody Riggs as non-contributors? I think at least Riggs will contribute in the nickel package if the foot heals properly. Also, have Silberman and Garcia both officially been switched to guard? It certainly makes sense with the overload of bodies we have at tackle.

Degree: UF BSBA 1986, Colorado State MBA 2006
Dorm: Fletcher and North Hall Co-op
High School City: Altamonte Springs
Current City: Fort Worth, TX
NewtonAlonzoKorffJarvis
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Depth Chart Questions

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

ltraz wrote:Not counting Brantley we have 4 DTs next year, which is what we had this year so I'm not sure why people think we will lack depth.

I didn't say we'll lack depth, I said we'll be weak up the middle. There's no way around it, none of those guys are as good at NT as either Floyd or Hunter.

When Easley played NT the year before, we were weak up the middle. We will be again IMO. He is a good pass rusher but he's too light in the pants to be a plug in the middle. Neither Jacobs not Orr have impressed me as anything but depth. Simply put, we're losing two all SEC level NTs and replacing them with much softer guys.

Buck: Fowler, McCallister, Ajagbe
SAM: RoPo, Kitchens, McMillian
Mike: Morrison, Taylor, Hearns
Will: Ball, Powell

Ball isn't one of our top 3 LBs. Morrison and Taylor are both better. They will be the inside backers, though I don't know who is mike (probably Taylor as he was the #2 mike) and who is will (Morrison was the 2 here).

IMO Ball is best in pass coverage, not great against the run, and will likely stay at sam covering the TE.

As we discussed earlier, it wouldn't surprise me to see RoPo move positions.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16861
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum

cron