Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arkygator, ATXGator, Gatorbythebay, gatordad3, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], happyhorseranch, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, Maillot Jaune, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, rogdochar, TheDouglas78, williston_gator and 78 guests

Underrated Part of the Bama Team

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Underrated Part of the Bama Team

Postby ncargat1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 am

Yes, believe it or not there is actually an aspect of the team that seems underrated to me. Everyone talks about their offensive and defensive lines and especially how the offensive line runs over people. However, the one aspect that really impressed me, and no one really highlighted it, is how well those big offensive linemen move their feet and pass block. One huge difference between the Bama and Gator lines was pass blocking. Our guys could drive block this year with the best of them, but had a lot of difficulty backing up and picking up defensive line action and blitzes.

Really, really well done by Bama.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Re: Underrated Part of the Bama Team

Postby Homer J » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am

I would have to say their receiving corp. They started a few freshman and they did well.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am

McCarron could have picked apart an NFL secondary last night, he had so much time in the pocket.

Much of that falls on the Bama line, but Notre Dame's defense did little to impress me either. It's up to us the morning after to decipher if that was more Bama's doing or Notre Dame's. In a game that lopsided, you're left to wonder.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby gatormandan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am

Wouldnt it be nice to have a QB that could make all the throws and reads and check downs.......
gatormandan
True Gator

Postby Mr2Bits » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 am

gatormandan wrote:Wouldnt it be nice to have a QB that could make all the throws and reads and check downs.......

McCarron was the weakest part of the team his Sophomore season.
Why drive when you can fly!
Mr2Bits
Heisman Gator

Postby ncargat1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm

gatormandan wrote:Wouldnt it be nice to have a QB that could make all the throws and reads and check downs.......

Jury is out on that. Jury is not out on the fact that it would be really, really nice to have an o-line consisting giving Driskel 4-5 seconds to throw every snap!
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby diehardg8r » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm

It would certainly answer the question as to whether he can actually read a defense and make the throw.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby G8RByte » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Good observation ncar...

I could have sworn Xavier Nixon was a matador all year just waving the opposing DE around to JD. I like Nixon a lot, but for a guy that seems pretty nimble for his size, he seems to underachieve in that aspect. I think it is a technique problem (for a lot of our guys).
Reporter "What do you think about your team's execution?". John McKay "I'm all for it".
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorKen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 pm

the few big guys ND had on the DL were slow. Not that I want to take anything from Bama's OL but ND just looked smaller and slower than Bama. Much like the usual expectations of SEC vs Non SEC.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum