Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cuuf, Gator Fever, gatordad3, Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, Naples Gator, Sasquatch Gator, WobbleGator, Yahoo [Bot] and 93 guests

Former Gator Shannon Snell - Bowl loss perspective

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Former Gator Shannon Snell - Bowl loss perspective

Postby gatorJ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:34 pm

http://www.onlygators.com/01/05/2013/snells-slant-what-the-hell-happened-to-florida/

Really well written. I agree that this was a bad year for the SEC. The last few SEC champs would pummel this year's Bama or UF. For this reason, I think the Dome has a puncher's chance.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Re: Former Gator Shannon Snell - Bowl loss perspective

Postby Ancient Reptile » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm

+1
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorJ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:03 pm

For those too lazy to click a link, I think that this is in line with what a lot of people on this board were thinking:

While I’m extremely excited for Matt Elam and Sharrif Floyd and their futures after the duo decided to enter the 2013 NFL Draft, as a former player I was disturbed that both players announced their decision immediately after the loss to Louisville. I would never question the heart of any Florida player – especially guys like these two that both played well in the game – but one does have to wonder how much the NFL has been on their minds, whether or not it was discussed a lot in the days leading up to the game and how that had an impact on their teammates. Remember the 2009 SEC Championship Game? Those guys were looking ahead both to the NFL and to the BCS title game and thought they could just walk over Alabama. Then they got smacked in the face and kicked in the ass by a focused, motivated team.

And no matter what head coach Will Muschamp said during bowl week – yes, I read all of his quotes here on OGGOA – there were most certainly players out celebrating and enjoying Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. Perhaps they did not break curfew and therefore there were no discipline problems, but I was on the team for four bowl games and can promise you that plenty of shenanigans go on.

So, yes, this game does leave a very sour taste in my mouth, especially from the perspective of a former player. Bowl games can most certainly provide a boost for the following season, so the Gators really didn’t do themselves any favors this time around.

However, when it all comes down to it, one disastrous loss should not make fans lose sight of the fact that Florida did go through the toughest schedule in the nation and came out relatively clean with an 11-2 record that was better than almost anyone could have expected. Muschamp proved this season that “his way” works, no matter how many mistakes the coaching staff made in the bowl game.

While the season did end on a bad note, the Gators are a young team that is going to be even younger next year. With another great recruiting class about to enroll, the future remains very bright for a Florida team in the middle of a turnaround.

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/01/05/2013/sn ... z2HF946B3e
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby Homer J » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Excellent write up.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby scmike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you Shannon for stating what many of us were thinking. You are a great Gator.
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Outstanding analysis of what happened, and what we hope will happen in 2013.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 pm

One point that I have not seen made, here or anywhere else:

IF our Gators were indeed unfocused, It was so for a game that, in reality, meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

No, that's not my point. The point is, that next year, and in subsequent years, top tier games WILL mean something. Winners will advance to the plus one game. Then NO ONE will be disinterested.
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby scmike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 am

If one plays on any team at UF, every game counts because you represent the university and the Gator Nation. To say the Sugar Bowl meant "nothing" is pure hogwash. Our coaches and players embarassed themsevles and the entire Gator Nation with their substandard performance.
The lack of sportsmanship and poor coaching were the only highlights given by our team. Unsatisfactory!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby jagator0 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 am

If what he said about the Alabama game is true, then that is very disturbing. If there was ever a game that was a bigger one in UF football history bigger than that one was, I don't know about it. And if we had players looking past that game, then I don't know we even bother caring if this team wins or not because what we have here is the equivalent of minor league baseball.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby Ringer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

Shannon Snell ---- Great Gator------ Jury is still out on that. *

Good article, well written but still just another opinion.

My perspective.... Coaches Coach, Players Play and Fan's Complain. Regarding the Sugar Bowl, we Fan's are doing a lot better at our job than the other two groups did.

* I watched Snell play in High School and I've never seen a better Offensive Lineman play. He had 30 pancake blocks his Senior Year and I thought he would be a monster at UF but it never happened. He was a good lineman but in my opinion he never reached his potential and his lack of success in the NFL kind of proves my point.

"Because in 2007, we learned that at their best, Florida is better than Ohio State. Yesterday we learned that at their worst, Florida is still better than Ohio State."
Ringer
Head Ball Coach

Postby HardToKillGtr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

TommyGator wrote:One point that I have not seen made, here or anywhere else:

IF our Gators were indeed unfocused, It was so for a game that, in reality, meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

No, that's not my point. The point is, that next year, and in subsequent years, top tier games WILL mean something. Winners will advance to the plus one game. Then NO ONE will be disinterested.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten we would have a much needed new system next year.
HardToKillGtr
Baby Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Doesn't that Sugar Bowl non-performance reveal the lack of
"focus on destiny" ? CFB-Destiny is mostly tied to national exposure.
"We just got exposed...nationally".. Team, players, coaches,exposed.

You gotta stay tuned to Destiny to win the SEC title and CG.
Muschamp and crew will have to 're-begin' building our focus
and our buy-in to Gator-Destiny. It will take harder "wins" to
regain the faith-consideration of the national sports show spouts.
... and excise the wad of doubt/confusion now lodged amidst so
many Gator fans, supporters.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum